GDT: Chiefs at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Oh boy here we go, the defense argument has now morphed into a time of possession argument.

You guys are ridiculous lol. Why not just let it go...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yes but unfortunately it's a little redundant. You saw the concern on that one run with the hole the size of a truck -- Coples is a penatrator, he is very similar to Easely. So both are basically backing up Donald, neither has the skillset of Brockers of occupying space & drawing double teams & holding the line of scrimmage. Only backup guys that have shown that ability are Fat Cam and Longacre in the rare times he's moved inside, and Westbrooks a little bit. He will make the team because GW loves gap shooting DTs, only I will remain stressed over what happens if Brockers goes down.

Coples grades better at run blocking, Easley grades better against the pass. Agree that Coples may be a little redundant, but if Cam Thomas is a likelier cut, Coples may have to be Brockers rotational guy. Easley will back-up Donald in rotation and play next to him in some obvious passing situations. Coples certainly has more value pass blocking than Thomas, where his more restrictive value is as a wide body run blocker, either a Brockers rotation or next to him in obvious 3'rd down short yardage & goal line plays. I don't see how we keep them both (Coples&Thomas) along with our other interior guys. Coples might be closer to a Fairley type where Thomas is more of a mountain in the middle. I see Coples as more of a natural 3-4 DE trying to make the transition inside in a 4-3. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have lost all credibility with that statement. It's just about being right without an objective view. No NFL person ever will agree with your statement EVER
Google "does time of possession matter in the NFL" and you will see how wrong you are.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyways... The WR race has certainly gotten interesting. With all these injuries we may have a player or two make the team by default

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Being forced to watch the Chief's broadcast of this game was pure torture! They have the worst broadcast team ever!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was happy with the way Goff progressed even with the horrible start. He did better in the second half and got the winning TD thanks to a great catch by Brown. Would have like to seen at least one shot down the field but it will come. The throw and catch to Quick was a great example of what I expect to see from him on a regular basis, maybe not this year but very soon and for a long time to come.

I was also happy with the Oline play all night there was never a point that they were breaking down and no excessive holding penalties.

Defense 1's were mediocre but there were some plays here and there to give hope that once the regualr season starts they will be a force.

Is Zeurlin going to be better this year? They really didn't bring in any serious competition for him and he hasn't had any opportunities to kick a pressure attempt. Hopefully he will make everything 40 and under and provide the ability to put some points up to win a game or two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have lost all credibility with that statement. It's just about being right without an objective view. No NFL person ever will agree with your statement EVER

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...coach-chip-kelly-time-of-possession-overrated
"I've heard the question about time of possession, but we've talked about all the time -- time of possession is how much time can the other team waste," Kelly told the Philadelphia media Friday, via CSN Philadelphia. "Most games, we lose the time of possession, but it's how many snaps do you face? And I think in both(preseason) games we've played, we've played more snaps than our other team."

Bill Belichick has said similar things over the years. Points matter. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to score if you score. And it doesn't matter how long you had the ball if you don't score. (ThePittsburgh Steelers and Detroit Lions ranked second and third in TOP last season.)

Time of possession doesn't win you games. It just so happens that teams who win tend to possess the ball more because they spend the 4th quarter of games running out the clock.

The offense doesn't need time of possession. They need to score. Only four of the top ten teams in time of possession last year made the playoffs. The Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos ranked 21st. The 2014 Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots ranked 18th.

It's kind of like the correlation between rushing attempts and winning. Teams typically are running the ball to run the clock out at the end of the game. Thus, teams aren't winning because they kept running the ball. Teams are running the ball because they were winning. It's basically the inverse relationship of what is typically alleged.(and to clarify, I'm not saying that a team can't win because of its running game)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
They better start giving Duke some meaningful reps. Tired of this garbage time crap. Quick has shown he doesn't deserve 1s and 2s reps. Sub in Duke and see what he can do.

Duke has been doing the heavy lifting, blocking for the RBs, time to give him some passes to show if he has the hands to beat out Quick.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Anyways... The WR race has certainly gotten interesting. With all these injuries we may have a player or two make the team by default
I was thinking the same thing. If Marquez is out, it makes Spruce a lock in my opinion and may keep Chase Reynolds on the team for Special teams which puts Aaron Green on the bubble. Duke Williams' chances may have improved as well.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Being forced to watch the Chief's broadcast of this game was pure torture! They have the worst broadcast team ever!

I live in KC and have to agree with you. I turn down the volume and listen to the radio broadcast. The radio broadcast team is one of the NFL's best, Mitch Holtus & Len Dawson are a great team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I was thinking the same thing. If Marquez is out, it makes Spruce a lock in my opinion and may keep Chase Reynolds on the team for Special teams which puts Aaron Green on the bubble. Duke Williams' chances may have improved as well.

I think Spruce made the team last week.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the point was if you give up tons of yards your offense isn't on the field. Makes it harder to outscore the other team if you don't have the ball, right?
It really goes hand in hand. If we can find a way to not give up a ton of yards we might score even more points then the terrible amount last year. So imagine where would might rank if we had more 3 and outs..

2015 Rams
Points Per Drive Scored - 31st
Point Per Drive Allowed - 8th

Our problems outscoring other teams didn't come from the defense being on the field too long. It came from the offense being the SECOND WORST in the NFL at scoring points each time they got the ball.

Our defense was 8th best at not allowing the offense to score on a per drive basis. Our offense was 2nd worst at scoring on a per drive basis. If anything, our defense allowing other offenses to run the clock might have helped us because our offense wasn't going to score. The more offensive drives there were on each side per game, the less likely it was that we were going to win. Because our offense was less likely to score than the other team's offense despite our defense being the 8th best in the league when it came to allowing points per drive.(if this is confusing, I'm saying that our defense was only 8th best at preventing the other team from scoring while our offense was 2nd worst at scoring...so the more drives there were, the greater the likely differential between our scoring and theirs)

That's amazing. So no, it wasn't the defense's fault that the offense didn't score more often. Our offense just sucked ass. For your hypothesis to hold water, we would have needed a very efficient offense on a per drive basis. Our offense was the opposite.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Worse than Cleveland?
Yes! And talking to that idiot Chiefs fan/actor while we had an injured player on the field was the most low class thing that I've seen in years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh boy here we go, the defense argument has now morphed into a time of possession argument.

You guys are ridiculous lol. Why not just let it go...

It's the preseason. There's nothing else to talk about.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I live in KC and have to agree with you. I turn down the volume and listen to the radio broadcast. The radio broadcast team is one of the NFL's best, Mitch Holtus & Len Dawson are a great team.
That's good to know as there is no way that I could ever watch, much less support, the Chiefs with that team in the booth. It was embarrassing!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My Basic opinion of the Game. A Win is a Win. The Team has now come-from-Behind to go 2-0. It's a good Start!
BUT!! We have a lot of work to do!!Britt-Guuurley-Benny Cunningham and Brown Looked GREAT! And Gaines Looks Fine, which is a major Plus!
The Penalties SUCKED!!
And, at this rate, Keenum will definitely be the Week #1 Starting QB! Goff is growing but I don't think he'll be ready Week #1!!
We can't Win in week #3 against Denver by trying to come from behind with their "D"!!
Just my random thoughts!(y);)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gaines getting through that game healthy was outstanding alone. We have a lot of good things going on right now to be happy about as Rams fans.

On to Denver.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Fun spirited debate @jrry32 and @dieterbrock
As the game goes we seem to be deeper than usual as a whole. Db's and wr's still my biggest concern. Love the run blocking and that should go far in remedying our Offensive woes of seasons past.
Goff's sample size is to small to have me elated or concerned at this time.
Go Rams.