GDT: 49'ers at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Athos looking for the facts:
We've had like 2? Maybe..... 3rd down conversions last two games. And not very many on the season I'd guess.
3rd down conversions:
Attempts: 73
Made: 21

4th down conversions:
Attempts: 4
Made: 1

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Think of it as a teaching experience---a young OL learning to methodically & consistently blow out DL's at the end of a game. There was also the sub-goal of getting Tre back into a comfortable running flow. We are going to need him down the stretch when TGII needs a blow.

Yes, we need receivers to step up, and we need Nick to be more consistent as the season winds on. However, everything begins by getting your big guys up front into a consistent flow where they are playing off each other and wising up to the veteran tricks of savvy DL opponents. This is only Week Eight and Game Seven for us. We need this young OL to bond over the next few games while the schedule is relatively light, or we will have hell to pay when dealing with playoff-caliber opponents later on.

It's not the O-line that concerns me this game; they did well. Getting Mason into a comfortable running flow doesn't concern me. What concerns me is six consecutive running plays to Mason in the middle of the third quarter that resulted in two three-and-outs. It baffles my mind. I completely understand doing that in the fourth quarter, but it's ridiculous, asinine, and ludicrous to do that when the game is still on the line with at least a quarter left to go.

What happened in that third quarter offensively concerned me a great deal and angered me a lot.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's not the O-line that concerns me this game; they did well. Getting Mason into a comfortable running flow doesn't concern me. What concerns me is six consecutive running plays to Mason in the middle of the third quarter that resulted in two three-and-outs. It baffles my mind. I completely understand doing that in the fourth quarter, but it's ridiculous, asinine, and ludicrous to do that when the game is still on the line with at least a quarter left to go.

What happened in that third quarter offensively concerned me a great deal and angered me a lot.
Not to mention it should have been 20-13 halfway through the 3rd with the fumble recovery for a touchdown. We got fucking lucky on that one. I completely agree with you. Just score as fast and often as possible. They never ran that seam pass to Cook again the whole game. It was there for the taking we should have won by 40.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm sorry to make this negative point, but we honestly do not have a single receiver worth a damn except for Austin. We just can't count on Quick after that shoulder injury (which was what I was worried about), Cook, despite having a good game, is not a good tight end, Bailey had a horrible game today and hasn't really shown up, Britt had a horrible game and will likely be released at the end of this year, Kendricks is tough but not reliable, Harkey is a great blocker but not a receiver, and while I love Bradley Marquez, he should not be catching passes out there yet.

I know that defensive end is a major weakness if Hayes and Sims leave, but we must draft at least two wide receivers in the first three rounds, including one in the first. Josh Doctson is my choice, along with De'Runnya Wilson in the third. Both of them are big receivers with good body control, solid hands, and they fit our system well. Doctson is a safe choice in the mold of DeVante Parker/Jordan Matthews, while Wilson is a riskier investment like Kelvin Benjamin who could turn out to be a stud. Both of them will be able to contribute next year.

We have a lot of needs, but wide receiver is the absolute number one need this offseason. And no, Alshon Jeffery is not the answer because Chicago won't deal him to a team they're going to play in two weeks, if they even deal him at all. And we have to re-sign Jenkins, Johnson, and Barron.

I'll be frank: we are not going to win games without a guy who can take pressure off of Gurley and Austin, and Fisher should not be our coach next season if TOP is so freaking important that we take our foot off of their throats in the third freaking quarter by running it three times in a row on two consecutive possessions. That was Fisher. Not Cignetti. Fisher took control of the gameplan there.

One third down conversion out of fifteen is inexcusable. We will not win in Minnesota if we have another crappy offensive performance like that. I was pleased with the offensive line. Aside from Gurley and Austin, though, our skill position players didn't show up. Period. I'm very upset at our skill position players aside from those two. With that much talent, they should be dominant.

I'm upset at this win. We should've stomped those fuckers flat, especially since they are a hated divisional rival who committed so many silly penalties that it became a new NFL record. No points in the third quarter against that team is absolute freaking bullcrap and totally inexcusable, especially at home.

I'm going to vent about it hard in the draft thread with a new mock offseason. I know we won this time, but we played arguably one of the worst teams out there. I'm very upset at Fisher. I'm happy that we won, but I hate how we won. We came out flat at home against a division rival, and our defense, Tavon, and TG30 carried us to that win, in spite of Fisher's bullcrap offensive gameplan in the third.

blahblahblah.......shut it sister

The Rams won. :)

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Nick Fairley is one of the best DT at reading the screen game. I swear ever week QB's are dumping the ball into the grass because Fairley sniffed it out and is standing right next to the running back.

jjab360

Legend
Who freaking cares lol, a blowout win is a blowout win, I couldn't care less about a couple 3 n outs when the game was already in hand.

No offense, but what a pointless, ridiculous thing to latch onto and complain about like it's the end of the world.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Tomsula about to blow a gasket LOL

There he goes now........
giphy.gif

jjab360

Legend
And you know what, going back and looking at the game the Rams didn't even have any 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter, so I have no clue what you're talking about.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Lol, what an absolutely ridiculous game to be upset after. We completely destroyed our division rival and we weren't even playing near our best.

Um, I've always hated phrases like that. "We weren't even playing our best."
Can I ask you a serious question then? WHY weren't we playing our best? Did Fisher and the Rams decide before the game to not give it their best?
THAT is why a lot of intelligent fans are very concerned even after this win. Because the offense how it is playing now will be one and done EVEN if we make the playoffs.

It's logical concern. We want playoffs and superbowl. Not excuses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can I ask you a serious question then? WHY weren't we playing our best? Did Fisher and the Rams decide before the game to not give it their best?
THAT is why a lot of intelligent fans are very concerned even after this win. Because the offense how it is playing now will be one and done EVEN if we make the playoffs.

A win is a win. You guys are goin way too deep on this.

We could go back and complain about the NFC Championship victory over the Bucs in '99. Rams did not play their best game that day. One could argue the Bucs should have pulled off that upset, or that the Rams were lucky to get out of that game and advance to the Super Bowl. Or we could nuke the victory over the Titans for our first championship in the Super Bowl era, and say that the Rams were gassed and if that game had been tied up we would have lost. So what. It doesn't matter. We won.

The Rams beat the 9ers rather easily. They sat their best player in the third quarter. Fans might not like it, but the staff wants to get Mason involved, get him rolling, and it takes carries to do that. Why not do it in a game where you are blowing out an opponent? Gurley gets the rock when the game is in question, the other guys help hammer it to eat the clock when they get a big lead. This team has to find that mix to keep Gurley healthy and finish off games where they have leads.

I just think you guys are unnecessarily nuking things. Enjoy the victory and know that this team has grown in confidence after easily handling two low-end teams that would have given them problems the past few years. Let's wait and see how the offense looks as we move forward before we sweat it out about being one and done in the playoffs because they're so bad after 7 games.

jjab360

Legend

Obviously I don't know why we weren't playing our best, I'm not in that locker room. It's pretty clear that we weren't though, as evidenced by how we played in the Seattle and Arizona games. It's also clear that we let up late in the game and didn't pile on when it wasn't necessary, Cheatriots style.

We have the talent and evidence to show we can play a lot better, so why not just enjoy a blowout victory for now? Not like we can do anything to change the results as fans, anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Not to mention it should have been 20-13 halfway through the 3rd with the fumble recovery for a touchdown. We got freaking lucky on that one. I completely agree with you. Just score as fast and often as possible. They never ran that seam pass to Cook again the whole game. It was there for the taking we should have won by 40.
I hope Fisher/Cigs have taken a long look at these issues in prepping for the Vikings game!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to mention it should have been 20-13 halfway through the 3rd with the fumble recovery for a touchdown. We got freaking lucky on that one. I completely agree with you. Just score as fast and often as possible. They never ran that seam pass to Cook again the whole game. It was there for the taking we should have won by 40.

No it shouldn't, it should've been a face mask penalty. Which was called. A blatant one at that.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Obviously I don't know why we weren't playing our best, I'm not in that locker room. It's pretty clear that we weren't though, as evidenced by how we played in the Seattle and Arizona games. It's also clear that we let up late in the game and didn't pile on when it wasn't necessary, Cheatriots style.

We have the talent and evidence to show we can play a lot better, so why not just enjoy a blowout victory for now? Not like we can do anything to change the results as fans, anyway.

I guess what I was trying to say with my question to you is that I feel it's Jeff Fisher's fault if the team is really not "playing their best" week in and week out. There's no excuse to not play their best every game. It's their full time jobs. I blame Fisher for a lot of stuff involving my Rams. But here goes, tomorrow is HUGE regarding playoff probability. Please please please have some decent offense and 3rd down conversations. Hey Rams, please play your best! Haha.

jjab360

Legend
I guess what I was trying to say with my question to you is that I feel it's Jeff Fisher's fault if the team is really not "playing their best" week in and week out. There's no excuse to not play their best every game. It's their full time jobs. I blame Fisher for a lot of stuff involving my Rams. But here goes, tomorrow is HUGE regarding playoff probability. Please please please have some decent offense and 3rd down conversations. Hey Rams, please play your best! Haha.
There's no team in the NFL that plays their best every game...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
No it shouldn't, it should've been a face mask penalty. Which was called. A blatant one at that.

Yes, and it could be argued that Cunningham woulda recovered it if his facemask wasn't grabbed. Looked like he was making a move for the ball until he got pulled by the mask.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yes, and it could be argued that Cunningham woulda recovered it if his facemask wasn't grabbed. Looked like he was making a move for the ball until he got pulled by the mask.

Yeah Cunningham would have covered that fumble up. I'm seeing 80% chance when I watch the play. At the very least he may have taken a penalty and batted it out of bounds.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
That is true, but then he would not have also been able to recover and score with it. The variables are staggering haha.