Game slowing down for Rams' TJ McDonald/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Game slowing down for Rams' McDonald

Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1450684-game-slowing-down-for-rams-mcdonald

ST. LOUIS — Rams coach Jeff Fisher had strong praise for second-year safety T.J. McDonald at his press conference on Monday, the day after the team’s season-opening loss against the Vikings.

“T.J. made some plays, had a couple misses but everybody’s going to have misses in space with ‘AP’ (Adrian Peterson),” Fisher said. “But I thought T.J. played better than he played at any time last year.”

McDonald got the Vikings running back twice on Minnesota’s first series, dropping Peterson for a 5-yard loss on a first-down play and then holding him to a 1-yard run on a third-and-long play to force a punt.

It was just the start of a strong game for the 23-year-old safety, who was the Rams’ third-round draft pick (No. 71 overall) in 2013 out of USC. McDonald finished with a career-high eight tackles, just one behind safety Rodney McLeod for the team lead, and one pass defensed.

Not bad for just his 11th NFL game.

“The game slows down for me as I get older, but I’ve got a lot of work to do,” he said. “I feel like I’m just scratching the surface as far as getting into this defense and whatnot and getting into this league. So for me I just have to make sure I stay on it, keep working hard and get better every week.”

The 6-foot-2, 217-pounder has a bit of a different role this season in new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ aggressive scheme.

“I do a little bit of everything,” McDonald said. “I line up everywhere in this defense. I line up a lot of different places. Last year I didn’t move around as much. I did some similar things, but it’s a different scheme, so I’m all over the place.”

There is also an increased emphasis on how McDonald and the rest of the Rams’ young secondary performs, a group that is considered a question mark in comparison to the more established defensive linemen and linebackers that make up the team’s front seven.

The young St. Louis defense got even younger with the preseason knee injury to cornerback Trumaine Johnson, a third-year player who has been replaced by rookie E.J. Gaines in the starting lineup.

But for as disappointing as the Rams’ 34-6 loss to the Vikings was, it would be unfair to place a majority of the blame on the secondary.

The returning starters, McDonald, McLeod and Janoris Jenkins (seven tackles), played well, particularly in run support. A sixth-round pick, Gaines (five tackles, two passes defensed) also performed well in his NFL regular season debut.

“The effort wasn’t bad,” McDonald said of the defense. “The effort was good and everything. It was just a few plays. Those few plays you have to eliminate, you can’t give them up, because it looks more lopsided than what it was. I feel like you contain a guy with Adrian Peterson, 75 yards, you’re happy with that. But then at the same time you let a guy like Cordarrelle Patterson go off. Those are things we can’t do as a great defense.”

That loss should motivate the Rams going into their Week 2 game at Tampa Bay on Sunday. They want to show that they are better than they looked in that disappointing season-opening defeat.

“I think we put together a good week of practice,” McDonald said. “Everybody is eager to get back and show that that first game isn’t indicative of who we are as a defense.”

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I love me some McDonald, he had a couple of misses, but they were full speed misses. He also almost made a couple huge plays in addition to the plays he made. He seemed to be everywhere.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I love me some McDonald, he had a couple of misses, but they were full speed misses. He also almost made a couple huge plays in addition to the plays he made. He seemed to be everywhere.

Same. I thought he was excellent last year until he got hurt as well. He looks like he could become a very dependable player on the back end of our secondary for years to come! Only 23!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Same. I thought he was excellent last year until he got hurt as well. He looks like he could become a very dependable player on the back end of our secondary for years to come! Only 23!
Might end up being our 2nd blue chipper...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'll admit I was impressed with the aggressiveness of the DBs making solo tackles and blowing up the line of scrimmage a handful of times. they aren't afraid of some smashmouth football which I bet Williams loves. A few solid solo tackles against AP were promising. too bad no defense in the league can stop an offense completely when their own offense is barely on the field and working with a third string QB. missed tackles with Patterson ripping huge gains or not they shut down the most elite running back in the NFL. just looking for a silver linning

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BigMac or Quarter Pounder guy?

I'm not who this was aimed at, but they both suck. If I'm eating lunch there it's the McDouble. It sucks too, but at least it's a cheap source of protein.

TShram03

UDFA
Could be! I think Brockers and Ogletree could get there too. JJ, Tru, Gaines, Joyner....maybe? Gotta love the potential of this young D!

Quinn already is a blue-chipper.

Who else can get there on the defense?

Donald, Brockers, Ogletree, Jenkins, Joyner have the draft capital to go with potential.

McDonald, Tru, Gaines have also flashed some form of upside in their brief careers.

I certainly can't wait to see what this core defense looks like in 3-4 years if they're all still together and coached by Gregg Williams.

A55VA6

Legend
Tj is going to shine in this defense. Hope to see him get better every week.