Gamble on UF's Jenkins pays off for Rams - Tampa Tribune

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Ira Kaufman
http://www2.tbo.com/news/bucs/2012/dec/ ... ar-590087/

t1223-jenkins

TAMPA -- Armed with three second-round draft picks, the St. Louis Rams figured they could afford to take a chance on Janoris Jenkins.

Eight months later, it appears the gamble is paying off.

The former University of Florida standout cornerback is building a case as the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, although there have been some formidable challenges along the way as St. Louis arrives for Tampa Bay's home finale.

Jenkins leads the Rams with 14 pass breakups and he has already scored three touchdowns for the NFL's No. 9 defense.

"Jenks is very talented and exceptionally smart,'' said Rams coach Jeff Fisher. "He loves the game, sits in front of the room in meetings and watches very carefully. From the time he walked into the door, he's been a student.''

At times, an unruly student.

Fisher suspended Jenkins for the Nov. 11 game against the 49ers for violating team rules, a key division matchup that ended in a 24-24 tie.

Before using poor judgment off the field, Jenkins had been beaten for four touchdowns within a 3-game span.

By midseason, St. Louis fans had to be wondering whether this was the same troublemaker who was dismissed by new Gators coach Will Muschamp in the spring of 2011 after his second drug-related arrest within three months.

Jenkins ended up at Division II power North Alabama, returning three punts for scores and adding two interceptions, a blocked kick and two fumble recoveries.

"I failed a drug test at Florida,'' Jenkins said at the February NFL combine. "I got arrested three times, one for a bar fight and two for possession of marijuana.''

Heading into the 2012 draft, Jenkins was considered by many scouts to be a first-round talent, but he lasted until the 39th pick.

The Bucs bypassed him twice before the Rams took a deep breath and placed a bet that Jenkins had matured.

"He's having success because of the commitment he's made to the classroom and the practice field,'' Fisher said.

Two weeks after his suspension, in a 31-17 victory at Arizona, Jenkins became the first NFL rookie since 1960 to return two interceptions for scores in the same game, earning NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

The Pahokee resident has soaked up some knowledge by being around veteran corner Cortland Finnegan and don't be surprised if Jenkins shadows Tampa Bay's big-play wide receiver, Vincent Jackson, this afternoon.

"I know Janoris Jenkins for a long time,'' said Bucs coach Greg Schiano. "He came up to our summer camp and he was the best player on the field. He was gung-ho for Rutgers until the Gators made him an offer. He's got great instincts, burst … the whole deal.''

At the combine, Jenkins told NFL coaches he was making a new start by cutting ties with old acquaintances.

"I have to eliminate myself from some of those guys I used to hang with,'' Jenkins said. "I think about my mom all the time and my kids. For them to have a great life, I have to put that stuff behind me.''

So far, Jenkins is winning over coaches with his attitude and his play.

"He's very talented,'' said Bucs wide receiver Mike Williams. "I think I've got good ball skills, but Jenkins is up there. He's very alert, especially in the red zone. I like the way he plays the game.''