Gale Sayers is battling dementia

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article139455608.html

Former KU and Chicago Bears great Gale Sayers is battling dementia
BY VAHE GREGORIAN

WAKARUSA, IND. More than 50 years after Gale Sayers, the “Kansas Comet,” inspired awe as a Jayhawk, he was honored in January in Topeka by the Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas as one of its Kansans of the Year.

So this was overdue but due, nonetheless, which is why former Kansas Sen. Robert Dole nominated Sayers.

He has made “Kansas proud,” Dole said in a phone message, and his gleaming smile at the start of the night said that it made him proud, too.

At a table near the front, Sayers was seated next to his wife, Ardythe, as a mesmerizing KU-produced tribute played.

It included NFL and KU highlights, and it featured clips that transcend sports from the movie “Brian’s Song” — the mere mention of which might make macho men of a certain generation weep.

The 1971 movie, starring Billy Dee Williams as Sayers and James Caan as Brian Piccolo, told the tale of the friendship forged between Sayers and Piccolo as they became what is widely believed to be the first interracial roommates in the NFL … even as they competed for a job with the Chicago Bears.

Piccolo died of cancer at 26 in 1970.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpgdo9Ab38

As scenes from his life both real and cinematic absorbed the crowd, Sayers sat with his hands clasped, head slightly bowed.

Occasionally, he peered up at one of the screens in front of the room but mostly he stared forward.

From two seats away, you wanted to believe he was averting his eyes out of humility or familiarity.

But the cruel truth is you don’t exactly know what he recognized during a trip in which he asked friends why he was there and on a night his wife spoke on his behalf.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrUWuH9TGQ

Gale Sayers, who 40 years ago became the youngest player ever inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was diagnosed with dementia four years ago, joining nearly 50 million people worldwide.

But Ardie Sayers has come to believe its onset was years before that — possibly even as far back as when he returned to Kansas in a fund-raising capacity for a time in 2009.

While she considers Sayers, 73, physically healthy “as a horse” and notes he is working out with a trainer several days a week, she added, “That brain controls everything, doesn’t it?”

Some of his days are better than others.

On Wednesday, he scarcely spoke during a seven-hour visit by The Star.

But other times, he can hold halting conversations, and Ardie Sayers and friends believe there is a lot happening inside that he just can’t get out.

She tries to pry that loose, or at least prime it, by seeking to engage his mind with anything from jigsaw puzzles to a documentary about Jacqueline Kennedy she hoped might draw out some memories.

That’s why she has been moving him home from a facility he’d been staying in for the last few months, and it’s why she works with him at such things as practicing signing his name.

“I say, ‘OK, come on, let’s fill up this page,’ ” said Ardie Sayers, who also is getting in-home care for her husband. “ ‘I’ll write one, and then you write one.’

“At times you can wait 30 minutes, or maybe 10 minutes. And then he’ll do it like there’s never been anything wrong. It takes a lot of patience.”

She demonstrated that with him on Wednesday, when just before dinner he went to wash his hands with carpet cleaner.

“It keeps you on your toes,” she said, noting the words of a wife of a former NFL player that have become seared into her mind. “‘Don’t let him out of your sight.’”

Other times, she’s learning to laugh to keep from “crying all the time” like she might want to do, and often she’s helped by the reassurance and support of family and this tight-knit, protective community.

Neighbors and friends at the United Methodist Church constantly offer help or prayers or cards of encouragement, a tendency you could also see in the way people treated him over at Cook’s Pizza.

“They know what’s happening, but you see the attitude they have toward him?” she said. “It’s not backing off. It’s embracing and saying to me, ‘Ardie, if you need some help, you know where I am.’”

Ardie Sayers and the rest of the family had made no secret of his condition, but they hadn’t it shared it for public consumption.

But weighing it all again recently, she determined that it’s important that his situation be known and understood.

For one thing, she wants to dispel false impressions people might have had about Sayers over these devastating last few years.

“Other people start making up stories, and people are asking about him more and more,” she said Wednesday. “People must know.”

She also meant that more generally:

For the sake of others afflicted by the same or similar issues and their families, people who need to know how important it is they stay vigilant.

As she learned painfully.

While family and friends were attributing his increasing forgetfulness to the normal aging process, others recognized vulnerability.

Over time, the family came to realize people they trusted had taken advantage of him in various ways.

“You have people who have a little less moral stature than you would like to see in society,” Sayers’ brother Roger said in a phone interview from Omaha, Neb.

Inescapably at the center of all this is football, in which Sayers became one of the greatest who ever lived only to have his career cut short by knee injuries.

His achievements included a feat as a rookie that took 51 years to reproduce: touchdowns by rushing, receiving and returning in the same game, as Chiefs rookie Tyreek Hill replicated last season.

Football led to a lifetime of adventures for Sayers and Ardie, his second wife, who married in Lawrence in 1973, and the seven children in their blended family.

And it accounts for the ongoing love of friends made in football, from Lem Barney to Dick Butkus to Earl Campbell to Joe Namath to Paul Warfield and many more.

You can trace the game throughout their house otherwise furnished with vibrant, eclectic art, some of which has created by Ardie — a graduate of La Salle School of Interior Design in Chicago and formerly a collaborator with Gibson Greeting cards.

Here in the living room is his Hall of Fame bust, albeit in need of repair after being dropped in a move.

Down the stairs, there are endless photos of him in a Bears uniform, including one with Piccolo on the field and an artist’s rendition of them.

There, too, are the cleats — with dirt still on them — and a football from the day he scored six touchdowns at Wrigley Field in 1965.

The wall behind the bar of his basement commemorates his athletic career in Omaha and at KU, from which he also displays a helmet and a piece of the floor from Allen Fieldhouse.

Then there’s the Jayhawk icon on the back of their SUV, and the Jayhawk yard ornament and his Jayhawk recliner.

“He loves his Jayhawks,” she said.

This was all a long time ago, before his time in college administration and making his mark in business ventures and with philanthropy that continues through the Gale Sayers Foundation and other outlets.

But it also is an enormous part of his identity … even if it likely helped cause this.

“Like the doctor at the Mayo Clinic said, ‘Yes, a part of this has to be on football,’” Ardie Sayers said, adding, “It wasn’t so much getting hit in the head … It’s just the shaking of the brain when they took him down with the force they play the game in.”

But the dilemma of football, which inspires camaraderie and team spirit in its own inimitable way, is such that Ardie doesn’t hesitate to say she knows he’d do it all over again.

Despite the injuries that took him out of the game early, ultimately leading to seven surgeries and a knee replacement.

And even all this now.

The game led to countless highlights of their lives, including that night in 1982 they spent at the White House with President Reagan and a select few other guests for a celebration of “Knute Rockne, All-American,” in which Reagan played George Gipp.

Such recollections, though, now make for a new point of anguish.

“You build memories all your life, and the next thing you know you don’t remember anything,” Roger Sayers said. “It’s just tough.”

No known medication is going to revive that.

And no compensation will make up for it.

When people tell Ardie “it looks like these players are going to make a lot of money” from concussion lawsuits, she tells them this:

“‘What money they get, if they get any, believe me, ask me, it’s going to be for their care. It’s not going to be for taking vacations like people think … No way.’

“‘Every dime will be to make sure he’s taken care of the right way and lives as decent and happy of a life as he possibly can.’”

Hard as it was to do, Ardie last year grudgingly accepted a doctor’s advice that the best way to do that was to admit him to a facility.

“Maybe it had to be (done) so that I can learn and see what happens,” she said. “ … You learn as you go. Trial and error.”

She added, “I felt like I could do better here — give him more attention, give him more of the things he needs. I don’t want him to be just sitting around doing nothing.

“No, he’s still got a lot going for himself, and I don’t want him to forget it.”

So she thinks about new treatment possibilities, not just for Gale but for all the others now and to come.

And she looks forward to the spring, when she figures Gale will return to golfing and dozens of family members and friends will come to help him … and her.

She has to stay strong, after all, to be able to take care of him.

“That’s a part of relationships, that’s a part of marriage: You don’t walk away from a person when they’re sick,” she said. “That’s when you dig in and help and do what you have to do.

“It’s hard, yes, I’m not saying it isn’t. And it’s challenging at times.

“But then when I stop and think about the people around me and people that are willing to help and family that are willing to come … we’re blessed that way.”

From what Roger Sayers can understand, in fact, he thinks his younger brother by 13 months is probably comfortable and doesn’t realize the pain and heartbreak of all this.

Meanwhile, though, Gale’s smile still can change a room, and his moments of playfulness and connection are moving.

As Ardie spoke of “Brian’s Song” in the basement, Gale walked over to look at a picture of Piccolo.

“If the hands of time were hands that I could hold,” the theme song to the movie begins, “I’d keep them warm and in my hands. …

“Hand in hand we’d choose the moments that should last.”

Now, those words are part of Gale’s Song.

So maybe it’s not too much to ask now what Sayers asked of his audience after declaring his love for Piccolo in a speech in the movie.

“Tonight, when you hit your knees,” he said, “please ask God to love him.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But it also is an enormous part of his identity … even if it likely helped cause this.

“Like the doctor at the Mayo Clinic said, ‘Yes, a part of this has to be on football,’” Ardie Sayers said, adding, “It wasn’t so much getting hit in the head … It’s just the shaking of the brain when they took him down with the force they play the game in.”

But the dilemma of football, which inspires camaraderie and team spirit in its own inimitable way, is such that Ardie doesn’t hesitate to say she knows he’d do it all over again.

Despite the injuries that took him out of the game early, ultimately leading to seven surgeries and a knee replacement.

And even all this now...........................................................................................................................
And no compensation will make up for it.

When people tell Ardie “it looks like these players are going to make a lot of money” from concussion lawsuits, she tells them this:

“‘What money they get, if they get any, believe me, ask me, it’s going to be for their care. It’s not going to be for taking vacations like people think … No way.’

“‘Every dime will be to make sure he’s taken care of the right way and lives as decent and happy of a life as he possibly can.’”
It's why this ultimate entertainment game...the ultimate reality show...should never question the compensation these warriors receive....Nor should they (the players) ever stop trying to capitalize on their fame and acquire every damn dime they can.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My prayers go out for Gale, Best wishes! He and I are about the same age, it makes me pause and think!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wish Gale Sayers the very best, what a great player and a great man....Every time I watched Brian's Song as a kid, (The Real Movie with Billy Dee Williams and James Caan) and was crying my father would ask was it because the movie was sad and my response was always "No, it's because they always show Sayers running all over the Los Angeles Rams."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's why this ultimate entertainment game...the ultimate reality show...should never question the compensation these warriors receive....Nor should they (the players) ever stop trying to capitalize on their fame and acquire every damn dime they can.
My Mom is younger than Gayle Sayers, and is suffering from crushing dementia. It feels like she has died to me, because she went from being able to speak intelligently about her life, to walking around in a her depends diaper in public, in just three weeks time, and I am devastated by it. I brought it up, because it may very well be genetic that Sayers is suffering dementia. like my Mom. Bad things that happen to athletes later in life, are not always due to playing a sport.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My Mom is younger than Gayle Sayers, and is suffering from crushing dementia. It feels like she has died to me, because she went from being able to speak intelligently about her life, to walking around in a her depends diaper in public, in just three weeks time,

My prayers are with you my brother I can't imagine what you are going through....You're in my thoughts and here's Deacon chasing down Sayers.
EP-160219597.jpg&updated=201602121150&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My prayers are with you my brother I can't imagine what you are going through....You're in my thoughts and here's Deacon chasing down Sayers.
EP-160219597.jpg&updated=201602121150&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder
Thanks Den....I am getting crushed by it..not gonna lie.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dementia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20198504

Causes

Dementia involves damage of nerve cells in the brain, which can occur in several areas of the brain. Dementia affects people differently, depending on the area of the brain affected.

Dementias are often grouped by what they have in common, such as the part of the brain that's affected or whether they worsen over time (progressive dementias). Some dementias, such as those caused by a reaction to medications or vitamin deficiencies, might improve with treatment.

Progressive dementias

Types of dementias that progress and aren't reversible include:

• Alzheimer's disease. In people age 65 and older, Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia.

Although the cause of Alzheimer's disease isn't known, plaques and tangles are often found in the brains of people with Alzheimer's. Plaques are clumps of a protein called beta-amyloid, and tangles are fibrous tangles made up of tau protein.

Certain genetic factors might make it more likely that people will develop Alzheimer's.

• Vascular dementia. This second most common type of dementia occurs as a result of damage to the vessels that supply blood to your brain. Blood vessel problems can be caused by stroke or other blood vessel conditions.
  • Lewy body dementia. Lewy bodies are abnormal clumps of protein that have been found in the brains of people with Lewy body dementia, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. This is one of the more common types of progressive dementia.
  • Frontotemporal dementia. This is a group of diseases characterized by the breakdown (degeneration) of nerve cells in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, the areas generally associated with personality, behavior and language.

As with other dementias, the cause isn't known.

• Mixed dementia. Autopsy studies of the brains of people 80 and older who had dementia indicate that many had a combination of Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia and Lewy body dementia. Studies are ongoing to determine how having mixed dementia affects symptoms and treatments.
Other disorders linked to dementia
  • Huntington's disease. Caused by a genetic mutation, this disease causes certain nerve cells in your brain and spinal cord to waste away. Signs and symptoms, including a severe decline in thinking (cognitive) skills usually appear around age 30 or 40.
  • Traumatic brain injury. This condition is caused by repetitive head trauma, such as experienced by boxers, football players or soldiers.

Depending on the part of the brain that's injured, this condition can cause dementia signs and symptoms, such as depression, explosiveness, memory loss, uncoordinated movement and impaired speech, as well as slow movement, tremors and rigidity (parkinsonism). Symptoms might not appear until years after the trauma.

• Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. This rare brain disorder usually occurs in people without known risk factors. This condition might be due to an abnormal form of a protein. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease can be inherited or caused by exposure to diseased brain or nervous system tissue.

Signs and symptoms of this fatal condition usually appear around age 60.

• Parkinson's disease. Many people with Parkinson's disease eventually develop dementia symptoms (Parkinson's disease dementia).

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dementia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20198504

Causes

Dementia involves damage of nerve cells in the brain, which can occur in several areas of the brain. Dementia affects people differently, depending on the area of the brain affected.

Dementias are often grouped by what they have in common, such as the part of the brain that's affected or whether they worsen over time (progressive dementias). Some dementias, such as those caused by a reaction to medications or vitamin deficiencies, might improve with treatment.

Progressive dementias

Types of dementias that progress and aren't reversible include:

• Alzheimer's disease. In people age 65 and older, Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia.

Although the cause of Alzheimer's disease isn't known, plaques and tangles are often found in the brains of people with Alzheimer's. Plaques are clumps of a protein called beta-amyloid, and tangles are fibrous tangles made up of tau protein.

Certain genetic factors might make it more likely that people will develop Alzheimer's.

• Vascular dementia. This second most common type of dementia occurs as a result of damage to the vessels that supply blood to your brain. Blood vessel problems can be caused by stroke or other blood vessel conditions.
  • Lewy body dementia. Lewy bodies are abnormal clumps of protein that have been found in the brains of people with Lewy body dementia, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. This is one of the more common types of progressive dementia.
  • Frontotemporal dementia. This is a group of diseases characterized by the breakdown (degeneration) of nerve cells in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, the areas generally associated with personality, behavior and language.

• Mixed dementia. Autopsy studies of the brains of people 80 and older who had dementia indicate that many had a combination of Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia and Lewy body dementia. Studies are ongoing to determine how having mixed dementia affects symptoms and treatments.
Other disorders linked to dementia
  • Huntington's disease. Caused by a genetic mutation, this disease causes certain nerve cells in your brain and spinal cord to waste away. Signs and symptoms, including a severe decline in thinking (cognitive) skills usually appear around age 30 or 40.
  • Traumatic brain injury. This condition is caused by repetitive head trauma, such as experienced by boxers, football players or soldiers.

Depending on the part of the brain that's injured, this condition can cause dementia signs and symptoms, such as depression, explosiveness, memory loss, uncoordinated movement and impaired speech, as well as slow movement, tremors and rigidity (parkinsonism). Symptoms might not appear until years after the trauma.

• Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. This rare brain disorder usually occurs in people without known risk factors. This condition might be due to an abnormal form of a protein. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease can be inherited or caused by exposure to diseased brain or nervous system tissue.

Signs and symptoms of this fatal condition usually appear around age 60.

• Parkinson's disease. Many people with Parkinson's disease eventually develop dementia symptoms (Parkinson's disease dementia).
I had no idea dementia had so many different forms.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bad things that happen to athletes later in life, are not always due to playing a sport.
Exactly....but maybe because of the platform they can aid in finding the cure. We don't know what causes dementia...Several probably. But I am sure that brain trauma can speed and enhance the symptoms.

Certain genetic factors might make it more likely that people will develop Alzheimer's......................

Great post man....information is the key...

I had no idea dementia had so many different forms.
Many don't...It's all wrapped around the ageing process.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
My Mom is younger than Gayle Sayers, and is suffering from crushing dementia. It feels like she has died to me, because she went from being able to speak intelligently about her life, to walking around in a her depends diaper in public, in just three weeks time, and I am devastated by it. I brought it up, because it may very well be genetic that Sayers is suffering dementia. like my Mom. Bad things that happen to athletes later in life, are not always due to playing a sport.

Sorry to hear this....all the best

jap

Legend
Without a doubt one of my favorite running backs & players of all time. My only football regret in his behalf was that he was never a Horn.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Former Jets DE Mark Gastineau is also dealing with dementia.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...ed-with-dementia-alzheimers-parkinsons.48346/
http://www.alzforum.org/news/research-news/dementia-four-times-more-likely-pro-football-players

Players who spent at least five seasons battling it out in the National Football League (NFL) are three times more likely to die of a neurodegenerative disease than is the general population. Their risk for dying with dementia or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis hits fourfold. These sobering statistics appeared in the September 5 Neurology online.
---------------------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

A new list released in November 2016 mentions CTE in 90 of 94 brains of former and deceased NFL players.

Some on this list may have suffered dementia not related to ALS or CTE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

(Click the Wiki link above and scroll down to see the list of former players still living who are symptomatic of brain injuries.)

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
My Mom is younger than Gayle Sayers, and is suffering from crushing dementia. It feels like she has died to me, because she went from being able to speak intelligently about her life, to walking around in a her depends diaper in public, in just three weeks time, and I am devastated by it. I brought it up, because it may very well be genetic that Sayers is suffering dementia. like my Mom.
I lost my mom to cancer on the 9th. Due to chemo and cancer, she started developing light dementia in October to losing most of her motor skills and faculties to holding on a conversation without losing her place or forgetting who she's talking with by the end of February.

It's painful and extremely difficult to go through Loyal, I feel your pain. Keep your chin up and remind mom about the good times you both had together. You're in my thoughts.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks Den....I am getting crushed by it..not gonna lie.
Sorry to hear it man. My mom's last decade on Earth was spent with dementia. It's a damn cruel way to leave this place. One thing I found out though is never try to correct a person with dementia. Just protect them and love them. I bought my mom a mp3 player with a good pair of headsets and downloaded some of her old favorite songs. That helped sometimes by bringing her around for awhile. And try and never leave them alone at sunset. Sunset always messed mom up. (Sundowners Syndrome) Just love your mom man. That's what she needs the most now.

I hate to hear it about Sayers. He always seemed like a really good person.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Dementia is a terrible disease. I feel for Sayers and his family.