Gaines expecting to play "a lot" in opener

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gaines expecting to play "a lot" in opener
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11376/gaines-expecting-to-play-a-lot-in-opener

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams rookie cornerback E.J. Gaines didn't exactly come right out and say it, but he did offer plenty of breadcrumbs that his first NFL game Sunday against Minnesota will double as his first NFL start.

"Yeah, if not I think I’ll get a lot of playing time so I’m excited," Gaines said. "It’s just a lot of preparation that goes into it, a lot more than college. So I’m hanging out with [cornerback] Janoris [Jenkins] and [safety] T.J. McDonald and stuff like that trying to get the hang of it."

In anticipation of the possible, if not probable, start against the Vikings, Gaines said he's been regularly picking the brains of his fellow defensive backs and, well, just about anyone willing to answer his questions. He even mentioned that he's been speaking to defensive end Chris Long about handling the situation.
i

"Just [talking] about being a rookie and getting my first start, really," Gaines said. "He’s definitely had my back since I’ve been here."

Of course, it would come as no surprise if Gaines did start against Minnesota even though he'd be doing so as a sixth-round rookie with only two preseason games under his belt. The Rams are without starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who has missed the past couple of weeks with a sprained MCL and isn't expected back until after the bye if the initial four-to-six-week diagnosis proves correct.

Without Johnson, the Rams will start Jenkins at his usual right cornerback spot. Rookie Lamarcus Joyner has long been penciled in as the team's primary nickel corner, and it's unlikely the Rams would move him from that job. That leaves a decision between Brandon McGee and Gaines. On the unofficial depth chart, Gaines is listed as the No. 2 left corner behind Johnson.

Putting all the pieces together, it sure seems to point in the direction of Gaines. Even if he only gets "a lot of playing time," there's no doubt that Gaines has come a long way since the team drafted him in May.

At the time, many believed the Rams found a late-round steal in the first-team All SEC pick, and Gaines quickly set about proving those beliefs true. He was the defense's best performer in the preseason opener against New Orleans, showing a willingness to be physical and tackle, despite his 5-foot-10, 190-pound frame. He also did solid work in coverage.

A hamstring injury kept Gaines out of the next two preseason games but even before a solid final outing in Miami, Gaines had already moved beyond simply earning a roster spot.

Throughout camp and the preseason, Gaines has never had the appearance of a player overwhelmed by the moment.

"The thing about him is if you guys focus on him during a game is you don't ever see him get rattled," defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. "That's extremely important when you play the corner position.

"E.J. has been very impressive in the games I've seen so far on staying composed and doing what corners have to do. He's got a short memory and he gets out there, and the most important play is the one he's on. I've been real impressed with how he's gone about his business."

Regardless of the circumstance, Gaines will be playing against a talented skill-position corps against the Vikings. Receivers Cordarrelle Patterson and Greg Jennings bring a solid combination of veteran savvy and explosive youth. Gaines and Patterson actually squared off in 2012 when Gaines was at Missouri and Patterson was at Tennessee.

In that meeting, the Tigers won 51-48, but the Volunteers found themselves seeking alternative ways to get Patterson the ball as he was limited to three catches for 53 yards, a small fraction of the 432 Tennessee threw for that day. Patterson ended up completing a pass for 28 yards and ran five times for 28 more in addition to return duties.

Gaines doesn't remember much about that game other than escaping with a win. To get another one on the Edward Jones Dome turf where Gaines played in college against Illinois and in high school in the Missouri state championship game, he'll have to help stop running back Adrian Peterson.

And if he does indeed go from sixth-round pick to opening day starter in a few short months, it won't change his approach.

"It’s just one of those things," Gaines said. "It’s surreal, really. Being a sixth-round pick, this doesn’t happen very often, and I know that so I still have a lot to prove to this team."

lockdnram21

Legend
there going to give our corners a good test week . Gaines will most likely be going up against Jennings and Jenkins will have the task of going against Patterson. Thats if we dont get to Cassel early and often:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:. I expect a sack by all 4 of our first rounders on the line and i expect Quinn to have 2. leave Cassel shell shocked;);););)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that Gaines can handle it as he has done well in big college games against the best WRs in the game.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Gaines was incredibly impressive and deserves the start. He's green but I feel much more comfortable with him on the outside than McGee.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Gaines was my dark horse player to make a valuable impact. 6th round gem heeeyyyyyo!

RamBill

Legend
Cool and collected Gaines ready for first NFL start
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4bb0595b-e239-526e-823a-07d0ba902695.html

Cornerback E.J. Gaines is not the sort to crank up the iPod and bang his head against the locker during pregame.

“No,” he said, laughing. “I definitely won’t be having a concussion or anything like that. I just like to stay calm. I’m a relaxed-type guy. I’m not really hooting and hollering or anything like that.”

And that’s just fine with Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. With Gaines, the rookie from Missouri, expected to make his first NFL start Sunday, Williams likes his cool head and calm demeanor.

“If you guys focus on him during the game, you don’t ever see him get rattled,” Williams told reporters Friday. “And that’s extremely important when you play the corner position. A lot of times we talk about how high strung a corner or wide receiver is.

“That can be good, but you’ve also got to be able to keep your wits about you. E.J. has been very impressive in the games I’ve seen so far, on staying composed and doing what corners have to do.”

That includes having a short memory, being able to forget the bad play that just happened and focusing in on the next one.

“Been real impressed with how he’s gone about his business,” Williams said.

Granted, Gaines has yet to play in a regular-season game, but nothing about the NFL seems too big for him. He seems far from overwhelmed, particularly for someone drafted in the sixth round, No. 188 overall.

“Nothing is too big,” Gaines said. “It’s just the next level. It is what it is, really. I like to look at it like that. And never to be too overly dramatic about it or anything. I feel if I do that I’ll make the coaches nervous, and make everybody else nervous. Make myself nervous.”

Gaines gets this starting chance because of the knee injury Trumaine Johnson suffered Aug. 23 in Cleveland during the Rams’ third preseason game. Johnson is expected to miss at least this month, so Gaines has the opportunity to get valuable NFL playing time to open his career.

After an impressive performance in the preseason opener against New Orleans, Gaines suffered a hamstring injury and missed the next two games. But he returned against Miami in the exhibition finale and played well.

The fact that Gaines came back from the hamstring injury one week before teammate Brandon McGee returned from an ankle injury may have helped him win the job. McGee, who was on the team in 2013, might have gotten the job ahead of Gaines because of that experience edge.

But McGee suffered the ankle injury when he got pulled down from behind in the team’s second preseason game against Green Bay.

“I got my jersey pulled by a receiver trying to make a tackle,” McGee said. “Got my ankle caught under me and twisted it. High ankle sprain.”

As a result, McGee missed the final two preseason games. He’s healthy enough to play, although not 100 percent.

“E.J. did everything that he had to do (to win the job),” McGee said. “We’ve got faith in him to be able to step in. But at this level, that’s kinda what you have to do. It’s a long season, though, so we’re just getting started.”

As he gets ready for his first NFL start, Gaines has been all about preparation. He’s been hanging around with cornerback Janoris Jenkins and safety T.J. McDonald, asking a bunch of questions.

“Probably more than (they) want,” Gaines said. “I’m bothering everybody, really. I even talked to Chris Long the other day for a while and he plays D-line. I’m sure I’m getting on their nerves.”

No, Long isn’t giving Gaines pass-rushing tips.

“Just something pertaining to being a rookie, and getting my first start,” Gaines explained. “Chris, he’s definitely had my back since I’ve been here. ... He gave me some advice on staying calm, doing everything I can to prepare for this game, and stuff like that.”

Other than being excited, Gaines has no idea what the game-day experience will be like as the Rams open 2014 with a noon kickoff at the Edward Jones Dome against the Minnesota Vikings.

He’ll undoubtedly be matched up at times against Minnesota wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, whom he faced in college while Patterson was at Tennessee.

“Great athlete. Great player,” Gaines said. “Lot of respect for the man.”

Gaines is known as a sure tackler, and run support also will be key for him against running back Adrian Peterson, perhaps the best back in football. He’ll probably test Gaines more than once coming around end.

“Just one of those things,” Gaines said. “You know, getting your head on right, strapping up, and getting ready for a battle as far the running game. And really, the passing game because they’ve got some receivers out there, too.”

He will have some personal support in the stands because a caravan of family and close friends is heading east this weekend from his hometown of Kansas City to take in the game.

They’ll be the ones wearing the No. 33 Gaines jerseys.

“Oh definitely,” Gaines said. “You’ll see them all in the stands. And you’ll hear them, too.”

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He plays bigger than his size. He would've been drafted higher if he was 6'0"

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The key to success for Gaines will be to allow the underneath throws but never anything over the top. Force the offense to make the plays, don't give any gifts. Never bite on the double move in GW's system and punish with every tackle. If he manages to do all that then his first start will be the first of many.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of the 6 out of 11 2014 draft picks that made the current 53 player roster who would have guessed that it would have been the 6th round selection Gaines who opened as a starter? yes I realize that two injuries to our best CB & our 3rd CB made this possible but this is a very big surprise. So this Sunday when the Nickle is implemented which is very often the Rams Defense will have two rookies in manned posts. In addition with the Hayes seeing his first action since his multiple surgeries this off season & Sims injured we should see a ton of two other rookies DL'ers Donald & Westbrooks.

Athos

Legend
Gaines shuts down very good WRs.

Been his MO his entire TIger career, culminating in making Evans his biatch.

Dude will ball hard.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam noting the youth:
Of the 6 out of 11 2014 draft picks that made the current 53 player roster who would have guessed that it would have been the 6th round selection Gaines who opened as a starter? yes I realize that two injuries to our best CB & our 3rd CB made this possible but this is a very big surprise. So this Sunday when the Nickle is implemented which is very often the Rams Defense will have two rookies in manned posts. In addition with the Hayes seeing his first action since his multiple surgeries this off season & Sims injured we should see a ton of two other rookies DL'ers Donald & Westbrooks.
I hope all those rookies won't bite us in the butt too often but even if they do it's going to be exciting.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I hope all those rookies won't bite us in the butt too often but even if they do it's going to be exciting.
Weren't we discussing Gaines after pre game one???? Oh, never-mind.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Weren't we discussing Gaines after pre game one???? Oh, never-mind.

Yes were were......Guess we were way ahead of the rest of the Rams Sports writers on that one (y). It only took them about a month to catch up.

BTW @BonifayRam , good bit of prognostication concerning Joseph starting instead of GR. :bow: (y)

Thanks Alan... you recalled that ? You have a very good memory.:D:coffee:

tonyl711

Starter
Gaines might not be giving that starting spot up too easily, he was very good at Mizzou and it doesn't look like he is intimidated so far in the NFL, granted its only been preseason but he looked like he was comfortable, this might be one of those late round steals the Rams seem to find in the draft since Fisher and Snead got here.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam decrying the media's ignorance:
Thanks Alan... you recalled that ? You have a very good memory.:D:coffee:
Really? Then how come I can't remember where I read about Matthews struggling? :cry:
life.jpg
images