Gaines, Bailey, Quick, Battle...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I listed these guys in decreasing order of importance, but for us to compete this year after the trade, we need some combination of these guys to regain form and/or step up to the next level otherwise we won't be able to compete for the playoffs with the lack of depth at these areas on the football field.

Gaines: Definitely most important, not just because we don't have anyone else proven enough to slide into Jenkins spot but when healthy, Gaines showed he could be an very good corner.

Bailey: Arguably the most unlikely one to return to form or even return at all but his ability to play all the positions at WR and compete hard as a slot receiver is important. Right now, we really don't have a slot receiver on the team. Austin has only proven to be effective on the outside.

Quick: Having him return to form would be amazing and give us another great receiving option, especially in the red zone. It would also give us insurance for Britt who gets dinged from time to time. Arguably less important that Bailey since he's not really as much of an option in the slot and it's hard to get the guy on the field with Austin and Britt on the outside already.

Battle: We absolutely need someone who can play as a third tackle. Williams was pretty decent so one could argue that this is the least need of anyone to improve/etc... but, if - G*d forbid! - GRob can't cut it next year, Battle may have to step in.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For Gaines there is Sensabough....Sted is probably finished....Easy to replace a guy that never really got started. Same with Battle.
I fully expect Quick to have the numbers he was headed towards before he was injured in 2014

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I really don't expect to see Baily back this year if at ever but and Hopefully Battle won't be needed this year. But I agree 100% on Gains he is the one player I would point out that must step up for this D not to take a step backwards. And if we don't add another decent WR then Quick damn well better step up and help our rookie QB.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys, I'd say that the thing that will hold this offense back now is not having a capable slot receiver more so than anything Quick does. Austin has taken his spot and you can't play both on the outside so I'm not sure where all of Quicks targets come from (yes, there's 3 (when Quick isn't slot), 4 and 5 WR sets but those will be much fewer than I-back and Ace sets.

Now maybe Marquez really surprises in his second year and becomes more than just a special teams ace but chances are that won't happen.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I guess I just hope that there isn't too much drop off from Jenkins to Gaines and Sensabough. At safety, I'll have to admit that they seem to really know what they're doing.

Not sure I'm too worried about guard with Brown, Reynolds, Saffold, and Wichman. I don't see why Robinson wouldn't work out, but if so, they would probably still take the Reynolds or Saffold's experience over Battle.

I really don't expect Bailey to be back, and to me that makes Quick pretty important. I guess the plan is to mix in different guys at slot, like a tight end, Welker, and Austin. It's a sub par WR group for a rookie QB though, I'll admit.

What really has me nervous is moving Ogletree to the middle and expecting I guess Barron filling in for him outside.Speed killz and all, I just hope it's not us doing the dying. In Williams I trust, just like at safety.

Anyway, with not a lot of cap room and our first pick coming in the third round, what do you try to address of these positions through the draft? A tight end, wide receiver or linebacker?

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure 1st pick is in the 4th but I can see the Rams moving back into the 3rd this draft as both of our 4ths are high-ish.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder how much risk their is to Bailey playing. Would any team want to risk him getting hit in the head if there is a great danger in it? Would the NFL allow him to play?

Mike Thomas southern Mississippi come on down.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice break-from-the-QB-madness post WCR...

First off I think Gaines is going to be fine. He's running around and working out already, and the dude is an insane competitor. Yes I agree we need him to play well and I think he will: my bet is he's our best CB this year. I suspect he's a Pro Bowl type player, that's how high my expectations on him are.

Bailey I have written off tbh. I am just glad he survived, but he was frustrating me last year even before that happened so I don't have much hope of him playing well for us, or at all really.

Quick will get another shot I agree. With better QB play he might even really start clicking again, but I personally am done hoping for him. Like with Bailey I've written him off and if he surprises that will be nice.

Battle and Williams are going to bear watching, no doubt. Not only should one of them step up and compete a little after another training camp, but they also might improve the interior OL depth as well.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think there's a lot riding on Gaines coming back strong. Sensabough is a nickel/situational guy and I don't think he should be leaned on to start on the outside.

The receiver situation is murky at best, imo. Britt can get it done. Tavon is still more gadget than receiver (not to take away from his importance), and Marquez flashed a couple of times but is as big of a question mark as Quick. Obviously they want to get Quick involved, but as @WestCoastRam pointed out, he's behind the ball in this pecking order. His reps might very well start going to Marquez in camp, not to mention a probable incoming rookie WR.

Plenty of intrigue outside of the #1 overall pick this summer.