Gaines 'a bright spot' in NFL debut/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gaines 'a bright spot' in NFL debut
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_99dc4ef1-21bb-586c-84fb-81c6c3aa77b0.html

All things considered, it was a successful debut for Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines.

The former University of Missouri standout got the start in place of injured Trumaine Johnson and responded with a solid effort in the Rams’ 34-6 loss to visiting Minnesota.

“I thought it went well,’’ Gaines said after the team practiced Wednesday at Rams Park. “It’s something you can’t prepare yourself for, playing at this level, but it was definitely everything I hoped it would be. I feel like I made a few plays, but there’s still plenty of room for improvement. But that comes, I think, with being a rookie. You watch the film, figure out what you did wrong and then try to fix it in practice.’’

Gaines was on the field for 97 percent of the team’s defensive snaps and added six plays on special teams. He finished with five tackles and a pair of pass defenses.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher called Gaines “a bright spot.’’

“I thought E.J. did a nice job starting his first game in the National Football League as a rookie,’’ the coach said. “I thought he hung in there and did a nice job.’’

Gaines did get beat on the Vikings’ first touchdown, an 8-yard pass from Matt Cassel to Greg Jennings with 21 seconds left in the first half.

“It was a perfect throw and catch,’’ Fisher pointed out.

An All- Southeastern Conference selection as a senior, Gaines was second in the league in interceptions (five) and placed third at Mizzou with 75 tackles last fall. Still, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound Gaines slipped in the draft and was selected by the Rams in the sixth round (188th overall).

“To be honest, I think that helped me,’’ he said. “That helped put a little chip on my shoulder to go out and show people what I could do. I’m where I’m supposed to be right now.’’

Gaines, 22, said being on the field with standout Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was “kind of crazy’’ at first.

“But once I got past that, it’s just playing football,’’ he said. “I still have a lot of work to do, but I’m watching (fellow corner Janoris Jenkins) and I’m trying to learn from that. Every day, I have to work and learn and get better.’’

INJURY REPORT

Defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, the Rams’ second-round pick in May, was limited in practice Wednesday because of a back injury. The other four players on the team’s initial injury report of the week — defensive end Chris Long (ankle), quarterback Shaun Hill (thigh), Johnson and center Barrett Jones (back) — didn’t practice.

Long has been placed on the injured reserve designated to return list. He will be eligible to return in eight weeks.

Fisher said Hill, who was hurt late in the second quarter Sunday, is day to day.

The Buccaneers had 10 players, including five starters, on their Wednesday injury list. Starting left guard Logan Mankins (knee) running back Doug Martin (knee) and right defensive end Michael Johnson (ankle) did not practice. Right tackle Demar Dotson (hamstring) and left defensive end Adrian Clayborn (elbow) were limited. Mankins, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, was acquired in a trade with New England just before the Bucs’ fourth preseason game. Clayborn is a Webster Groves High product.

Cornerback Rashaan Melvin (ankle) and tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (ankle) did not practice, while defensive end William Gholston (shoulder) was limited. Another defensive end, Da’Quan Bowers, was listed with an abdomen injury but went through Wednesday’s practice.

Mike Jenkins, who was part of a three-man rotation at cornerback for the Buccaneers, is on injured reserve becaue of a pectoral injury.

MASON SITS

For the first time in his football career, rookie running back Tre Mason was a healthy scratch Sunday.

“I found out right before the game,’’ the third-round draft pick from Auburn said Wednesday. “I just live life as God has a plan written already. I can only control what I can control. I’m just going to continue to work hard every day and, God willing, I get a chance to get out on the field.’’

First thing Monday, Mason made a point to stop by the office of special teams coordinator John Fassel.

“I was very concerned about what happened,’’ he said. “I wanted to know if I was doing anything wrong and if I am, I would love to know so that I could fix the problem. All I can do is continue to work hard every day, that’s not going to change, I just want to have a chance to make the team better and make sure I do my part.’’

RAM-BLINGS

A pair of players with local ties cleared waivers Wednesday. Tight end Reggie Jordan (Hazelwood Central, Missouri Western) was cut Tuesday by Jacksonville. New Orleans did the same with guard Ty Nsekhe, who was in training camp with the Rams in 2013.

On Tuesday, Tampa Bay picked up defensive end Jacquies Smith (Missouri) off waivers from Buffalo while former Mizzou tight end Michael Egnew signed with the practice squad in Jacksonville and wideout Marvin McNutt (Hazelwood Central, Iowa) was signed to the Redskins’ practice squad.