From Squeaky Labs.......Magic Chef freezer expose

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Being a cheap bastard and keeping my integrity intact forensic analysis was conducted upon a 7.2 cu. ft. Magic Chef freezer which from all date codes appeared to have been manufactured in 2009 which I brought back from the dump. It looked absolutely new. It also looked cheap by the hardware present. Spare parts were worth it as well as the fun of getting to tear it down if problem was terminal.

No visible leaks and not a single degree of cooling either. Anywhere for that matter. Compressor working great, smooth very quiet etc. Obviously no freon. So since the leak was likely in the cooling coil pipe within the freezer walls it was indeed terminal.

So after stripping the carcass of all spare parts to the extent to make even a fat turkey vulture proud....we started tearing into the case to salvage the copper pipe for casting later. We did so carefully to be able to find the freon leak. Removed nearly all of the copper pipe (1/4 inch diameter) yet no obvious leak. The last foot of copper pipe was deep in the insulation coming off the suction line from compressor so had to really get gorilla with it....let my son do that :sly: . Once freed from the insulation the dirty deed became apparent. The cooling coil pipe was not copper. It was copper plated to look like copper. Terribly cheap but the real cause of the leak was that the steel pipe was brazed to a copper tube from the compressor. The obviously dissimilar metals (copper, steel) in contact set up a galvanic action that severely corroded through the steel pipe causing the freon leak.

This is such a fundamental flaw in design that it was either manufacturing fraud by unsanctioned substitution or specifically designed to fail shortly after warranty expired. Perhaps both? Yes, made in China.

So the advice from Squeaky Labs is to take a strong magnet to all exposed sections of suction line to check for dissimilar metals. Then do the same all along the inside of the freezer case. If you get no attraction then attraction with the magnet ON THE SAME LINE......DON'T BUY IT!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
Being a cheap bastard and keeping my integrity intact forensic analysis was conducted upon a 7.2 cu. ft. Magic Chef freezer which from all date codes appeared to have been manufactured in 2009 which I brought back from the dump. It looked absolutely new. It also looked cheap by the hardware present. Spare parts were worth it as well as the fun of getting to tear it down if problem was terminal.

No visible leaks and not a single degree of cooling either. Anywhere for that matter. Compressor working great, smooth very quiet etc. Obviously no freon. So since the leak was likely in the cooling coil pipe within the freezer walls it was indeed terminal.

So after stripping the carcass of all spare parts to the extent to make even a fat turkey vulture proud....we started tearing into the case to salvage the copper pipe for casting later. We did so carefully to be able to find the freon leak. Removed nearly all of the copper pipe (1/4 inch diameter) yet no obvious leak. The last foot of copper pipe was deep in the insulation coming off the suction line from compressor so had to really get gorilla with it....let my son do that :sly: . Once freed from the insulation the dirty deed became apparent. The cooling coil pipe was not copper. It was copper plated to look like copper. Terribly cheap but the real cause of the leak was that the steel pipe was brazed to a copper tube from the compressor. The obviously dissimilar metals (copper, steel) in contact set up a galvanic action that severely corroded through the steel pipe causing the freon leak.

This is such a fundamental flaw in design that it was either manufacturing fraud by unsanctioned substitution or specifically designed to fail shortly after warranty expired. Perhaps both? Yes, made in China.

So the advice from Squeaky Labs is to take a strong magnet to all exposed sections of suction line to check for dissimilar metals. Then do the same all along the inside of the freezer case. If you get no attraction then attraction with the magnet ON THE SAME LINE......DON'T BUY IT!
So you're a forensic plumber? I was wondering what it is you do. That was good work, but how does one go about checking the inside of a freezer case at Home Depot? You'd need a pretty powerful magnet and keen sense of direction to follow a buried line, wouldn't you?

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
So you're a forensic plumber? I was wondering what it is you do. That was good work, but how does one go about checking the inside of a freezer case at Home Depot? You'd need a pretty powerful magnet and keen sense of direction to follow a buried line, wouldn't you?

No I just like to fix stuff for pennies that I get for free. Never grew out of the wanting to see how stuff is put together phase. Plus I'm pretty good at it. Too many people are generally ignorant or stupid....a direct result of 30 years of rampant consumerism. They throw stuff away on the assumption that it's cheaper to buy a new replacement than repair what they have. If they buy truly cheap shit (like the freezer I described) then junk it likely will be....but if a quality item then it's made to last and worth a look. All too often it's the simplest of fixes for a used part from something else :sly: or a few bucks from the hardware store. My wife was giving me shit about it until I pointed out stuff all over the house that I have just a few bucks in because I picked it up for free and fixed it. Her large microwave oven went terminal (the touchpad failed) so I stripped all other switches and other wear items and put it in a box and told her to lay off buying the microwave for 6 months because I was confident I could replace it with a current model. Then I let my son take a sledgehammer to the case. Good clean fun. :lmao: Well a current model found at the dump of course. :cheese: Well about 2 months later I see the same microwave except newer with buttons instead of touch pad. All it was missing was the glass turntable tray and the plastic ring with wheels it rides on. I saved both from the old one we had.....plus the ceramic fuse which was what failed on the new one. This microwave retails now for $300. I'm into it for $0.00. Plus I have most of the spare parts including the magnetron. :sly: My wife no longer complains about my 'shopping'. :lmao: