From soccer fields in Jamaica to the NFL for LT Williams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
From soccer fields in Jamaica to the NFL for LT Williams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e210c064-5697-59e7-8b9c-446350ce2e43.html

Darrell Williams made sure his cell phone was fully charged and the ring tone was set on loud.

He was munching on a breakfast sandwich around noon Saturday, at a restaurant with fellow Rams Bryce Hager and Cody Wichmann.

Wichmann’s phone rang, and it was coach Jeff Fisher. Telling him he’d made the team. Hager’s phone rang, and again it was Fisher. Telling him he’d made the team.

“They were trying to keep it controlled just in case I didn’t get the same call,” Williams said. “I was watching Bryce, and Bryce played it off so well, I was like, ‘God, maybe Bryce got cut.’ I couldn’t tell. But he was just keeping himself collected.”

Wichmann and Hager were both Rams draft picks last spring. Williams went undrafted out of South Florida. And his phone wasn’t ringing.

When Williams’ phone finally rang, his heart nearly pounded out of his chest. It was Fisher on the other end. Was this the call telling him he’d been cut?

“He told me to take a deep breath and relax, and once I heard that, I knew I was in,” Williams said.

One of the longest of long shots entering training camp, Williams has made the Rams’ initial 53-man roster as an offensive tackle.

“I was shaking the whole time, and then got the good news,” Williams said. “It took me about an hour to relax.”

Williams’ first call after the call went to his agent. And he couldn’t help it, he broke down a little. He got it together for his next call; there were no tears when he called his mother in New York or his father in Orlando.

Williams thus became one of three undrafted rookies to make the Rams’ roster, joining wide receiver Bradley Marquez and linebacker Cameron Lynch.

Everything about Williams’ path to the NFL speaks to the road less traveled. He didn’t take up football until his sophomore year of high school in Orlando, and that was largely because he spent the first 13 years of his life in Jamaica.

His family moved from Jamaica to Florida just before his 14th birthday. He still has plenty of relatives in Jamaica, particularly on his mother’s side of the family. And when he talks to Mom and Dad, a little of his old Jamaican accent comes out.

Growing up in St. Catherine Parish near Kingston, Williams described himself a “chubby kid” who wasn’t very good in soccer. He also played basketball in Jamaica, and played that game at the high school level when he came to the U.S.

But the head football coach at Evans High in Orlando kept pestering Williams about trying the gridiron game. He would show up at every basketball game and tell Williams: “You’re not going to grow much for basketball. You need to play football. You’re the perfect size for football.”

Williams, now 6 feet 5 and 301 pounds, finally relented.

“And it was the best decision I ever made,” he said. “I wasn’t very good. The first day it took me like 30 minutes to put my pads on. Actually had to get help from my assistant coach.”

He proved to be a quick study. As a high school senior, he made the all-Orange County and all-Central Florida teams. In college at South Florida in nearby Tampa, he played in 45 games with 29 starts — all at left tackle.

Although Williams went undrafted, Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau liked Williams’ quick feet — a necessity for a left tackle — from the outset.

“Seemed like just yesterday I walked in here for OTAs and offseason workouts and stuff,” Williams said. “And it’s game week now. We’re gearing up to go play.”

Gearing up to play the two-time defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks in fact.

So are Marquez and Lynch, although there are no guarantees any of the three will be on the game-day roster, or even how long they’ll be on the 53-man roster.

But no matter what the future brings, no one can take away the feeling of getting that phone call from Fisher.

Marquez described his weekend as “a roller coaster of emotions, just not knowing what’s gonna happen.”

Marquez had just gotten out of the shower at the team hotel when his phone rang. He saw it was a St. Louis area code.

“My heart kind of dropped a little bit, just thinking that it was gonna be a bad phone call and not an exciting one,” Marquez said.

It turned out to be an exciting one. Marquez, who spent parts of two summers playing outfield in the New York Mets’ minor league system, has made the “big leagues” in a different sport. He never felt he was close to making the major leagues in baseball.

“But once I decided to do this, I guess it’s been about a year-and-a-half, I was able to put everything into football and try to make this roster, which was one of my first goals,” he said.

He didn’t bring a car to St. Louis, so after he got the phone call from Fisher, he went out and got a rental car. He’s looking for an apartment, and looking for some time on special teams against the Seahawks.

Special teams play is what got Marquez on the roster as a sixth wide receiver, and that was also the ticket for Lynch, the linebacker from Syracuse. Lynch stayed close to special teams coordinator John Fassel throughout camp and stopped into his office whenever possible to pick his brain.

“I’m glad that I did bug him,” Lynch said, smiling.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i love reading stories like this. i've never seen a hard knocks show but i imagine they would follow a few of the udfas and see if they make the cut. i would love to see that for the rams one season.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I never knew how much in common I have with Williams. LOL

Cool story and he's a Local Boi for me. I'll be rooting for him a little extra now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We continue to have UDFA's make our roster.

It feels good... we appear to be doing our homework finding these guys.

Its feels not so good... makes me wonder how deep our roster really is.

Definitely happy for these 3. I really like Lynch.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
These are great stories and I really liked what Williams brought to the table and he did not disappoint during preseason. I feel with one year of NFL strength & conditioning, he'll even get better.

OL Coach Paul Boudreau liked Williams "Quick Feet." that's exactly which led to the demise of Barrett Jones...The lack of quick feet Jones very slow from that standpoint.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is the guy who forced Battle through waivers, so you can't be upset about that.
He played pretty well 3 of 4 games (that TENN game was pathetic for everyone).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is the guy who forced Battle through waivers, so you can't be upset about that.
He played pretty well 3 of 4 games (that TENN game was pathetic for everyone).

It's impressive through that lens.

The Rams chose to expose Battle than risk losing Williams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Funny how the other guys, anticipating Williams may be cut, contained their own personal enjoyment out of respect...I bet they all partied hard later!!!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, they all partied hard the night before. All these stories about these guys eating breakfast at noon. They all went out.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Out of South Florida?
image.jpg

Paint me a sceptic. #Knights

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Soccer Fields"? That'll be football pitches then Jim son!

Well played by Williams though to make the squad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With the deficit on premium offensive line play the last decade I was quite surprised that Williams went undrafted. He definitely looked draftable to me.

ram007

Starter
I think Rams will end playing GRob as RT and Williams as LT by the time Rams make playoffs this year

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think Rams will end playing GRob as RT and Williams as LT by the time Rams make playoffs this year
If Greg Robinson does not get his large talented butt & big head up to par with the rest of these rookie OL'ers he may be heading for the bench not another starting OL position.o_O No one can say his pre season effort was up with what was expected.

Snead/Fisher have brought in two strictly LEFT OT's here in rookies Darrell Williams & Isaiah Battle. Then with 3, they invested heavy on the opposite side along with a savvy veteran Garrett Reynolds ..the three brand new OL'ers 6-7/320 Rob Havenstein, 6-6/ 313 Andrew Donnal & 6-5/320 Wichmann have done well.

All of theses new 6 arrivals here in 2015 are less talented OL'ers in comparison to GR but look very cerebral.

I will still remind myself GR is still the youngest OL'ers on this roster. Time is still on his side. You can be beat on the right side just as fast as you can on the left, just ask Joe Barksdale:(.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Greg Robinson does not get his large talented butt & big head up to par with the rest of these rookie OL'ers he may be heading for the bench not another starting OL position.o_O No one can say his pre season effort was up with what was expected.

Snead/Fisher have brought in two strictly LEFT OT's here in rookies Darrell Williams & Isaiah Battle. Then with 3, they invested heavy on the opposite side along with a savvy veteran Garrett Reynolds ..the three brand new OL'ers 6-7/320 Rob Havenstein, 6-6/ 313 Andrew Donnal & 6-5/320 Wichmann have done well.

All of theses new 6 arrivals here in 2015 are less talented OL'ers in comparison to GR but look very cerebral.

I will still remind myself GR is still the youngest OL'ers on this roster. Time is still on his side. You can be beat on the right side just as fast as you can on the left, just ask Joe Barksdale:(.

Most will argue the point but Robinson was a huge gamble considering his experience level.

fearsomefour

Legend
Most will argue the point but Robinson was a huge gamble considering his experience level.
In a sense yes.
A lot of times you have two choices, the physical talent that is raw and a more polished player with a lower upside. Coaches will want the big physical talent a lot of time figuring they can develop the skill level. We will see with Robinson.
Rams O line 2017
Williams/Robinson/So-n-So Superstud/Wichmann/Havenstein......to the Superbowl!!

fearsomefour

Legend
In a sense yes.
A lot of times you have two choices, the physical talent that is raw and a more polished player with a lower upside. Coaches will want the big physical talent a lot of time figuring they can develop the skill level. We will see with Robinson.
Rams O line 2017
Williams/Robinson/So-n-So Superstud/Wichmann/Havenstein......to the Superbowl!!