From Joe Roderick, St. Louis Sports Radio host RE: Fisher's future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MountainRam

Rookie
This is exactly what this team needs. I am uber excited cannot wait for the next game and the future..

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they extend him there must be some strings attached. He has to revamp the offensive coaching staff. He has to keep his hands off the offensive personnel decisions. He is good at identifying defensive players and special teams players. His offensive track record has sucked.

Hall of Fame Los Angeles Ram owner Dan Reeves once stated "I had more fun losing with Harland Svare than I ever did winning with George Allen." Svare's career record with the Rams after four seasons was 14-31-3. So maybe Stan Kroenke just enjoys partying with Fisher.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Disappointing, because I believe Fisher is to blame for the offence via neutering his OC and imposing an ultra-conservative playbook as well as play calling scheme. Maybe I am wrong on that. It's pure speculation. I'm not in the coaching staff room.

IF we can find a capable offensive mind at OC - maybe it can even be Cigs, if he is currently being held back by Fisher - and IF Fisher is willing to let them do their job on offense then I do not mind an extension. Fisher is a good defensive mind and stability does have its advantages. But I'm not holding my breath.... I really think we're going to be in the very basement of NFL offences as long as Fisher is in charge.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Well...y'all might be amazed at what an experienced and healthy Oline can do for a team.
I think Fisher knew he was getting extended, and told SK, "I'll draft a new Oline, but it'll take 2 years to pay off - we're gonna' suck for a year".
Picture if you will....Saffold stays healthy, Robinson gets a brain (or goes to guard), Brown's back, Havenstein has a year under his belt, we draft or grab a stud center,
Battle gets a TC, and we have Williams, Donnal, Wichmann, Reynolds and Rhaney as backups.

And we only lose Jenkins and Barron, but Gaines is back, and Robeson steps up.

And Mannion kills it in PreSeason - (OK, maybe that's a bit much).

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Tennessee got rid of Fisher and they didn't improve at all. I really like the D and I like the explosive pieces on Offense with Gurley and Austin. Like mentioned above, the O line will grow together, but these are the growing pains and the important game experience these guys need to achieve being solid players weekly. I think with the LA deal and the uncertainty of the location of the team, it was gonna be awfully hard to pull off a winning season with a new QB, new young O line and in one of the toughest divisions in the league. I hope Fisher and the staff are in full eval mode now. We'll see if Cignetti's job is safe though if this play finishes the year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They might as well put up radiation hazard signs on the dome. That wouldn't deter the fans any more than Fisher getting an extension.

Is this the true intention?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And Mannion kills it in PreSeason - (OK, maybe that's a bit much).
Not necessarily, but even though I would love to see my boy Mannion be that stud, I'm all for going out and getting that stud if he's not - hell, even if he IS. I've always thought it wouldn't hurt to have a starting QB behind your starting QB. If nothing else, it makes great trade bait down the road.

bbach

UDFA
I'm kind of amazed that anyone still thinks the Fish is a good coach. I don't know what to think here. Good coaches are like good quarterbacks. There aren't really that many that are really that great. Hate to get rid of another coach and try someone new again, but hey, gees, how bad do things have to get?

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'm actually okay with this, but I think the the organization needs to force a competent offensive coordinator onto Fisher and let him fully control the offense, kinda like they did to Vermeil when they brought Mad Mike into the fold. Not sure if Martz had complete control, but Fisher sure as hell shouldn't in this situation.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There aren't really that many that are really that great.
This is always something I have in my mind. We could improve or we could remain the same or we could return to 1-15 bad. If we make a change, so be it. But I actually see more of a long term plan going on here with the way we are building a sustainable team model. Being able to keep players together and add a few each year is what I'd like to see rather than trying to reinvent the wheel every three years.

WvuIN02

Starter
Jeff Fisher stats I saw in another article:

There have been 23 coaches that have coached since the merger for 15+ years and only 5 of them have fewer playoff wins than Fisher...not flattering any way you cut it
If you exclude the Music City Miracle (Miracle is the key word.... luckiest play most of us have ever seen), that list of coaches who failed more in garnering postseason glory becomes only Jim Mora
His win% vs guys who have coached for 5+ years is 57th out of 122...he's not even good in the regular season
He's only had a team with fewer than six wins twice, but 47% of his teams in his career have finished either 7-9 or 8-8, the very definition of mediocrity.
Going back to advanced metrics his average offensive rank of his teams is 18th, but he's a defensive coach you say.....yea, his average defensive rank of his teams is 15th, again....definition of mediocrity.

The reason he retains employment like he did in Tennessee is he is average and doesnt have stinkers of teams, so people think he's right on the brink to take the next step....yet rarely ever did. It has been the MO for his entire coaching career.

20 years is a lifetime sample size for an NFL coach...teaching an old dog new tricks etc comes to mind. He is what he is and I dont ever see the Rams taking the next step with him, similar to almost all his years in Tennessee.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And another thing... like no one has thought of this before... I'm sure teams like the Browns, Lions, for many years the Cards, Bills, Colts, Raiduhs, Saints, etc etc etc, have always thought they could do better. How often has that worked out for them?

I personally would like to try the long term approach. I have been a Rams fan for 47 years and have one SB title to show for it. I cheer viciously for a win and I die a little with the losses. But I like this team despite not turning the corner yet. I hate watching the offense as much as anyone else. But I believe that the defensive mindset keeps us in most games and with a bit of luck at maybe finding a QB and/or a couple other pieces, we are primed to be ABLE to take advantage of it.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And another thing... like no one has thought of this before... I'm sure teams like the Browns, Lions, for many years the Cards, Bills, Colts, Raiduhs, Saints, etc etc etc, have always thought they could do better. How often has that worked out for them?

I personally would like to try the long term approach. I have been a Rams fan for 47 years and have one SB title to show for it. I cheer viciously for a win and I die a little with the losses. But I like this team despite not turning the corner yet. I hate watching the offense as much as anyone else. But I believe that the defensive mindset keeps us in most games and with a bit of luck at maybe finding a QB and/or a couple other pieces, we are primed to be ABLE to take advantage of it.
Get outta my head man! (y)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame Los Angeles Ram owner Dan Reeves once stated "I had more fun losing with Harland Svare than I ever did winning with George Allen." Svare's career record with the Rams after four seasons was 14-31-3. So maybe Stan Kroenke just enjoys partying with Fisher.
Those were good times!!! A few more wins would have been great tho.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He is what he is and I dont ever see the Rams taking the next step with him, similar to almost all his years in Tennessee.
That would make him so much different than virtually every other coach we've had in our history and that most teams have had in theirs. I suppose it depends on if your definition of successful is winning it all. In my mind, there are really only a handful of successful coaches out there. Of all the coaches currently in the NFL, how many of them have won a Superbowl? Not all that many have even BEEN to a Superbowl.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can just imagine a few heads exploding when reading this. LOL

Count me in the I'm ok with this crowd. Looking from the owner's perspective I could see that Fisher had made HUGE strides in righting this franchise. Not counting the GSOT days which were basically a miracle with the discovery of Warner, this franchise has been a POS for 25 years. With the draft and limited talent coming out it took 4 years to turn the roster over. Free agency is not the way to build the base of a franchise and no quality players wanted to come here anyway. No one was expecting Bradford to get completely jacked up so that has to add years to the rebuild. If they can get the roster stabilized they can make that jump to double digit wins ever year.

I would be happy to see the stability at HC for another 5 just so we don't have to worry about it. Even if I did say blow it up after Sunday's display.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Those were good times!!! A few more wins would have been great tho.

Born in 66 so did not see those times, but there is a reason one of my favorite shows was Mad Men! RIP Dan Reeves! Boy, did he look the part!
Dan_Reeves_(American_football_executive).jpg

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well, excellent so let's hope there are many changes on the offensive side of the coaching staff and somehow, someway, but the grace of God, the Rams find a field general that can propel this franchise into the upper echelon of the NFL.

Desperate-Prayer.jpg