From jail time to Rams Park for rookie Reid/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
From jail time to Rams Park for rookie Reid
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f39aeeef-8a79-5641-b15a-04803621aa1e.html

Even on a Rams offseason roster that numbers 90 players, every player has a story to tell. But none are as compelling as that of cornerback Greg Reid this offseason.

He was a star in a star-studded Florida State secondary two years ago, then was dismissed from the program because of off-field issues. Next came two surgeries — about 8-9 months apart — on his left knee. As a “topper” he spent more than a week in jail for a probation violation just a few days after signing with the Rams in late March.

“It’s a lesson learned,” Reid told the Post-Dispatch earlier this week. “After going through all that, and understanding the opportunity that a lot of kids have out here — well, a lot of men have out here now — it’s a blessing.

“Now, I know how to handle myself and leave everything in God’s hand and become a man. I understand that it doesn’t get any better than playing in the NFL.”

Within a week of signing with the Rams, Reid was a passenger in a car that was pulled over by police in his hometown of Valdosta, Ga., because the driver was not wearing a seatbelt. In the process of running record checks on everyone in the car, Reid was found to be in violation of probation for a past marijuana-related arrest.

As a result of the probation violation, he spent part of his spring in the Lowndes County (Ga.) jail.

“In Valdosta, my name is very popular,” Reid said. “So they didn’t want to treat me any different than anybody else. Things happen in your life where you have to mature and be humble about it.”

After spending parts of 10 days in jail, Reid had a renewed appreciation for the comfort of sleeping in your own bed or the pleasure of sitting down to a good meal. The jail food, he said with a laugh, was “disgusting.”

“I feel like I was never a bad person,” Reid added. “I maybe was kind of young and stupid.”

After doing his research on Reid, coach Jeff Fisher came to the conclusion that he was at least worth a look.

“We were aware of everything that was going on, even prior to when the news came out (of the probation issue),” Fisher said. “He was in a situation where he was gonna go clean up some personal issues. And we knew that was required so it didn’t come as a surprise to us.

“He knows this is an opportunity — maybe not his last — but it’s an opportunity for him and he’s gonna take advantage of it. He’s taken care of his body. He’s gained about eight or 10 pounds since coming here. He’s gonna get a chance to prove himself quite a bit in preseason.”

During the pre-draft process, a couple of former Seminoles teammates — cornerback/safety Lamarcus Joyner and safety Terrance Brooks — both made pre-draft visits to Rams Park. Fisher took advantage of the visits to ask both draft prospects about Reid.

“And each one of ’em said what a great guy he was, and how they would really like to come here and be his teammate,” Fisher said.

Brooks was selected by Baltimore in Round 3; Joyner was taken by the Rams in Round 2.

“I just told (Fisher) how good of a kid he is,” Joyner said. “Gregory’s a great kid, despite what he’s been through off the field. Everyone has their problems. But he’s a great person, and he’s definitely a person that can make a change for himself, and he’s making the best so far with the opportunity he has. That’s always good. And he’s a good football player, point-blank.”

Reid’s last college game came against Notre Dame in the Champs Sports Bowl. That was Dec. 29 of 2011, so he has more than two years of rust to scrape off as he tries to make the Rams’ 2014 roster.

After his Florida State dismissal, the first knee injury sidelined him for the entire 2012 season after transferring to Valdosta State. Even so, he got an invite to the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine, but needed additional surgery on the left knee — which kept him out of football in ‘13.

“After sitting for two years, it was slow at first,” Reid said of his initial time with the Rams. “Understanding the plays, and how they want me to play it, and everything like that. It’s starting to come around.

“I still have a long way to go. But I’m a quick learner and I’m starting to understand. Right now, I’m knocking off some (rust). I feel like I get better every practice. Right now, it’s just building up confidence. That’s what my main goal is right now.”

Reid’s knee is holding up well. There certainly are opportunities at cornerback behind starters Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson. Second-year man Brandon McGee has a leg up for a roster spot based on his time with the team in 2013 but the Rams likely will keep five corners on the 53-man roster.

“We talk about it all the time, how he hasn’t been on the football field in two years,” Joyner said. “We’ve been kind of motivating each other and keeping each other going. So it’s been a great experience with Greg so far.”

Reid played nickel back for Florida State as a freshman in 2009, and then had 23 starts at corner over the 2010 and ‘11 season. He had seven interceptions as a Seminole, and also scored three touchdowns on punt and kickoff returns. In that 2009 freshman year, he led the nation with an 18.4 average on punt returns.

In that 2011 season at FSU, he was part of a secondary that included four current NFL players — the others being Joyner, Brooks, and current Minnesota Vikings safety Xavier Rhodes. Reid fit right in with what was a very talented group.

“He’s very talented,” Fisher said. “He’s got return skills, ball skills. He can play both inside and outside.”

Now, it’s just a matter of making the most of this opportunity.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Man it's gonna be tight.

Joyner, mcgee, gaines, reid.

You want them all to make it but you know one will miss out. The rams only need two of them to be competent and their d will be great.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Secondary is going to be vastly improved...Looking forward to the camp battles and pre-season to see how this shakes out.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Greg Reid is going to turn out to be a huge steal for us

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Dont forget about the UDFA from florida.. His name slips my mind but have heard good things about him. Gonna be a battle for all the guys behind Johnson and Jenkins.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Dont forget about the UDFA from florida.. His name slips my mind but have heard good things about him. Gonna be a battle for all the guys behind Johnson and Jenkins.

Not a big fan of Roberson
Reid can be a return man so he has that going for him

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If Greg or Mcgeee bring there a game Joyner might be able to be full time safety

If we're only playing Joyner full-time at safety, we're not going to get the full package that is Lamarcus Joyner. His ability to cover the slot as a nickel is a rare trait.

They may limit him as a rookie until he learns the ins and outs of the defense, but he's a smart guy who I think eventually you're going to see him used as a FS in the base D while covering the slot in pass sub packages. This will also allow them to lighten the wear and tear on his undersized body and keep him productive over the long haul.

What we need to supplement that is a role player that may not be able to get a starting job elsewhere because of a lack of skills in run support, but can be very effective covering the deep zone in those subpackages. Gaines is a guy who has shown solid zone coverage. Perhaps Christian Bryant could be that guy?

What we're seeing, more so than I can ever remember, is teams stepping away from the traditional depth chart, and carving out little niches in their defenses for these roles. The Rams secondary looks to be embracing such change.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams did a good job of at least making efforts to upgrade the secondary. You can assume that this is going to be a good batytle and some talent is going to emerge because they can't all be average. And even if they are it's an upgrade. This defense is going to be hard to score on. I don't think it'll be a hard hitting, body crunching type of D like the Ravens and Steelers used to be.......I think it'll be the type that make plays that kill drives and forces teams to grind it out for 70 yards then settle for a FG with sacks, tackles for a loss and good tackling period, passes hurried and defended and so on.

Not a finesse defense LOL..........but one that stops the opponent by outplaying them, not beating them down. Not that they aren't physical of course but I see this defense as being strategic. If that makes sense.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Wait, they pulled over a car of black men (assuming) in Georgia because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt and then ran record checks on everyone?! Sounds legit.

I've been pulled over dozens of times in my life and not once did they run record checks on my passengers. I was headed to a lake and was pulled over for speeding in a small town in Arkansas when I was 21. I had two 17 year old females in the back with a cooler of beer between them. The trooper didn't even ask their age or what was in the cooler.

When blacks tell me they are treated differently, this is the stuff I think of.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I also see Joyner eventually being a starter @ safety in the base with safety McDonald & playing slot when the Rams go to the Nickle. Reid will see action in the Dime.You also could see the big Nickle where we could see both McDonald & Alexander on the field @ the same time with another safety.

CB-Jenkins/McGee
CB-Johnson/Reid
Nickle-Joyner(2nd)/EJ Gaines(6th)
SS- McDonald/Alexander(4th)
FS- McLeod/ C.Davis

PS- C.Bryant(7th)

Last edited:

F. Mulder

Starter
I've always been a fan of reclamation projects and come back stories. Most fizzle out but I always hope guys like Reid can become the Cris Carter's of the team and not the perpetual loser in sports and in life.