Friday's OTAs from my secret spot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Coach I'm sorry but even you see the circumstances surrounding Stedman and his still learning the offense and doing so from behind and from the doghouse also. His catches and very short breakout is just the tip of the iceberg for this guy in MPO. I don't think he gets great seperation but his route running is WAY ahead of TA at this point and this would be his breakout year if learning the new O does'nt slow him again.

I know college is blasphemy to even bring up but even at West Virginia with 3-4 other guys lighting up the WR position this cat had 25 TD's his senior year as I'm sure you're more than well aware of. Steadman Bailey will be a MAJOR weapon for the Rams offense if Foles has any success at all. I'd put him 3rd in yards when the season is said and done so I did'nt saw off the limb behind me. I just think he's due to certain things has been impeaded from the normal path and you won't see him dissapear like you did his first 2 years . I agree with Jrry 32 as this guy knows his stuff like you sure do.

We've seen our own coaches make mistakes on who played and when and then got it right and we saw the right guy on the field. I see Bailey as our Hines Ward with some of the same skillset and receptions will finally start to add up with some real key ones and you won't see the dissapearing act you got upset at before. Just TRY to forget the past and wipe his slate clean Coach. I know you'd be very glad to be wrong on this one. This kid is very special and try to forget he is a fan favorite to have his breakout and that is usually the kiss of death but this lil' guy along with (I hope) a much improved TA will be the spice we so desperately need and if Foles can stay upright and get it in the radius of SB we all will be very pleased. Kid has NFL hands like Hines Ward has without that great seperation and will be a go to 3rd down guy.

I'm willing to put up some very expensive Rams stuff I'll gladly send you if Foles is an 85% rating and Bailey is'nt successfull. Depends on our OL as we all know it will. Had my eye on this guy and his viral catches have had no influence on my decision making. His routes are getting much crisper and only wish TA was coming along as well. Peace to everyone and best wishes to ALL our Ram players and no injuries this year please.

Last edited:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Am I the only one that gets excited when @CoachO and @jrry32 clash? Two great minds with differing opinions in this case. It's like a forum version of a blockbuster movie.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am I the only one that gets excited when @CoachO and @jrry32 clash? Two great minds with differing opinions in this case. It's like a forum version of a blockbuster movie.

giphy.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Put me in the camp TOTALLY rooting for Bailey. If he can emerge as a #2 that would be HUGE for this team.

That said; I am not seeing "it" in his game on most days. Sure I see the hands... But his game isn't where it needs to be to be in the conversation as a #2/3 WR.

Can it be? Maybe.

But he's got work to do, IMO.

He's a favourite on this board and I'm right there with ya!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Put me in the camp TOTALLY rooting for Bailey. If he can emerge as a #2 that would be HUGE for this team.

That said; I am not seeing "it" in his game on most days. Sure I see the hands... But his game isn't where it needs to be to be in the conversation as a #2/3 WR.

Can it be? Maybe.

But he's got work to do, IMO.

He's a favourite on this board and I'm right there with ya!
I would say I'm sort of in the same place as you are. Although I'm not so sure it would be a good thing if he ends up starting.

I still feel that a duo of Quick & Britt outside has much more upside. With Bailey and Austin being the compliments to the offense. If you have the two big receivers producing, it would open up so much more in the offense.

I am I no way trying to compare this group to the GSOT, but in theory, you have the classic comparison with Austin/Bailey being what Hakim/Proehl were to that team. In those situations that warrant it.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach I'm sorry but even you see the circumstances surrounding Stedman and his still learning the offense and doing so from behind and from the doghouse also. His catches and very short breakout is just the tip of the iceberg for this guy in MPO. I don't think he gets great seperation but his route running is WAY ahead of TA at this point and this would be his breakout year if learning the new O does'nt slow him again.

I know college is blasphemy to even bring up but even at West Virginia with 3-4 other guys lighting up the WR position this cat had 25 TD's his senior year as I'm sure you're more than well aware of. Steadman Bailey will be a MAJOR weapon for the Rams offense if Foles has any success at all. I'd put him 3rd in yards when the season is said and done so I did'nt saw off the limb behind me. I just think he's due to certain things has been impeaded from the normal path and you won't see him dissapear like you did his first 2 years . I agree with Jrry 32 as this guy knows his stuff like you sure do.

We've seen our own coaches make mistakes on who played and when and then got it right and we saw the right guy on the field. I see Bailey as our Hines Ward with some of the same skillset and receptions will finally start to add up with some real key ones and you won't see the dissapearing act you got upset at before. Just TRY to forget the past and wipe his slate clean Coach. I know you'd be very glad to be wrong on this one. This kid is very special and try to forget he is a fan favorite to have his breakout and that is usually the kiss of death but this lil' guy along with (I hope) a much improved TA will be the spice we so desperately need and if Foles can stay upright and get it in the radius of SB we all will be very pleased. Kid has NFL hands like Hines Ward has without that great seperation and will be a go to 3rd down guy.

I'm willing to put up some very expensive Rams stuff I'll gladly send you if Foles is an 85% rating and Bailey is'nt successfull. Depends on our OL as we all know it will. Had my eye on this guy and his viral catches have had no influence on my decision making. His routes are getting much crisper and only wish TA was coming along as well. Peace to everyone and best wishes to ALL our Ram players and no injuries this year please.
I guess I'm not conveying my thoughts very well. I don't disagree with most of the things you say. I just don't share the same blind optimism about Bailey as you seem to.

And you're right. His college stats carry very little weight with me. He played in a wide open sling it all over the field throw it 50+ every game. His numbers are greatly exaggerated. Yes 25 TDs is impressive. But it's not even a topic to discuss as it translates to the NFL.

I stated that I feel he will have a vital role, primarily as a 3rd down weapon. I just don't see him as an every down kind of WR on THIS team.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I am I no way trying to compare this group to the GSOT, but in theory, you have the classic comparison with Austin/Bailey being what Hakim/Proehl were to that team. In those situations that warrant it.
I think it would be a very good thing if 2015 turned out this way!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Put me in the camp of not caring who produces - only that our offense produces. If Baily is our #4 then I think we'll be in good shape because he certainly is no slouch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I'm not conveying my thoughts very well. I don't disagree with most of the things you say. I just don't share the same blind optimism about Bailey as you seem to.

And you're right. His college stats carry very little weight with me. He played in a wide open sling it all over the field throw it 50+ every game. His numbers are greatly exaggerated. Yes 25 TDs is impressive. But it's not even a topic to discuss as it translates to the NFL.

I stated that I feel he will have a vital role, primarily as a 3rd down weapon. I just don't see him as an every down kind of WR on THIS team.

I'm fine with that if it means Quick, Britt, and Cook are earning their keep...and our running game is working.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
PlayerSourceHtWt40 TimeSp ScSh Sh3CAg ScVJBrJExp ScBP
Tyler SlavinPro Day742154.52103.02NANANA34.0115.0149.0NA
Terrance WilliamsCombine742084.5299.664.327.0111.3332.5119.0151.511
Can anybody help me with this....?

He has Golden Taint/Kendall Wright type talent imo.
come on...seriously? Taint? I like Sted too...just don't see all the special qualities that make a dominant slot wr...like Brown, Cruz, Taint (who proved he could go outside the numbers & be a #1) or even that guy from Miami. This is year three, the magic year for wrs, so there is hope, and we'll see....And I like Wright a bunch too, just not like Taint, whom I'd compare to Hines W. Tough SOB right there...

I still feel that a duo of Quick & Britt outside has much more upside.
Everyone that has watched the Rams should know, with decent QB play, these 2, with Cook are the best options to move the chains in the air.... After a nice run by Gurley/Mason, the play-action pass should be direct at Quick or Britt....Sprinkle in a little TA & Sted later, when no one is looking for them...

Great report @RamzFanz ...you got me scrambling to find some more info on Slavin...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It matters little to me what we call Bailey. Starter or off the bench, slot or wide, or anything else under the sun.

Yeah Britt and Quick (hope he's healthy) are our starters out wide. No question.

But there HAS to be a place in our passing O for Bailey, too. Flypaper hands (I read that he's only had 2 career drops) on a WR that gets open consistently is an OC and QB's dream.

I think he's gonna get his targets. And if he does, I guarantee he'll get his share of 1st downs and scores, too.

TBH, unless this year Tavon finally "gets it", I'd much prefer to see Bailey deployed. I consider him a more reliable threat. If I'm Foles, I make damned sure I know where Bailey is on the field at all times.

We're very fortunate to have such a weapon in our WR arsenal.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Put me in the camp of not caring who produces - only that our offense produces. If Baily is our #4 then I think we'll be in good shape because he certainly is no slouch.

I agree. I like the Ricky Proehl comparison too. Bailey is a solid receiver. Runs good routes. Has good hands. But he seems to be missing something to be a number 1. Maybe the separation?

MauiRam

Rookie
Bailey runs crisp routes - I think most will agree with that assertion. His ability to create enough separation to get open and make the catch has been displayed time and again. Even better, he catches the football consistently - very consistently. There is another thing Stedman doesn’t get much press for - he is a very good overall football player period. He plays special teams, he’s physical, he’s smart. In short - overall he has been money. What’s not to like?

I don’t care if he is on the field for every offensive play. I am not making that argument. I just want him on the field consistently enough to make a difference.

Was Ricky Proehl special? I’d say he was special enough when it counted. On O it’s about moving the chains - Bailey can keep the chains moving - and more ..

Number 1, number 2? I could care less ..

Big Willie

Starter
I like all our WRs. Most bring something to the table that differs from the others. Quick and Britt are basically the same time of player, and for a team that wants a power running game larger WRs are ideal (for their blocking). If the Rams can limit three three and outs and stay on the field for longer series, there will be plenty of receptions for Cook, Britt, TA, Sted, and a healthy Quick. None of them may get 1000 yards, but I would take 750 yards apiece from Britt, Quick, and Cook; as well as 600+ from TA and Sted. With the RBs and other TEs that would put Foles in the 4000+ yard range.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
come on...seriously? Taint? I like Sted too...just don't see all the special qualities that make a dominant slot wr...like Brown, Cruz, Taint (who proved he could go outside the numbers & be a #1) or even that guy from Miami. This is year three, the magic year for wrs, so there is hope, and we'll see....And I like Wright a bunch too, just not like Taint, whom I'd compare to Hines W. Tough SOB right there...

Yep, Taint. They have similar games and playing styles.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I love the Hines Ward comparison with Stedman. I think the kid is a winner and can and will be a factor regardless of his designation as a WR. It seems to me that he is always open when they go to him (duh, right) which confirms what I have always thought of him. He finds holes in secondaries and is able to exploit them while staying in his route. He is a damn good football player.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks RamsFanz for the report. I think we are all so starved for Camp news, we would read a report from a guy, who knew a guy, who thought he saw Johnny Hekker lining up at QB...;).......Anyway, I am excited to hear more about our Oline. SUre they got beat by possibly the best Dline in the USA, but man will they learn! Just out of pride's sake, they won't wanna get beat! Hey Seattle Dline..be afraid..be VERY afraid.

EW70qps.jpg