Free agent WR Radway looks to shake off late-game drop

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Rams notebook: Free agent WR Radway looks to shake off late-game drop

By Joe Lyons

With just over two minutes to play in the Rams’ 27-19 exhibition loss to the Browns in Cleveland on Thursday night, St. Louis quarterback Kellen Clemens was flushed from the pocket and showed some touch, lofting the ball over a couple of defenders to wide receiver Raymond Radway.
Moving to the ball, Radway hauled in the pass, turned up field and saw nothing but daylight.

“Normal scramble rules, I guess,’’ Radway said. “I saw (Clemens) scrambling, went with him and he got it to me. I turned the corner and it was into the end zone from there.

“I had a huge grin on my face the whole way.’’

But Radway’s excitement about his sprint down the right sideline for a touchdown covering 53 yards was tempered just moments later when he failed to make the catch on a Clemens pass after breaking free down the left side.

On a first-and-10 play from the Cleveland 44, Radway got behind Browns rookie Abdul Kanneh at about the 10, but he was unable to come down the ball with 15 seconds left in the game.

“No excuses. It hit my hands and I should’ve brought it in,’’ said Radway, who finished the game with three catches for 78 yards and a score. “It was a sure-fire catch and that’s way more upfront in my mind than the touchdown right now because that’s a play I should’ve made. And it’s one that would’ve put me in position to come closer to making this team.’’

But Radway refuses to let himself dwell on the one that got away.

“That’s football. I just have to put it behind me and keep grinding to make sure it never happens again,’’ he said. “I just have keep working hard, taking advantage of every opportunity in practice to get better so that I can take advantage the next time I get an opportunity to make a play.’’

Radway, who stands 6 feet 4 and weighs 204 pounds, played football and ran track at Abilene Christian (Texas) University, was on the verge of making the 53-man roster of the Dallas Cowboys as a rookie free agent in 2011 when he fractured his left leg with just seconds to play in the team’s exhibition finale.

After sitting out the 2011 season, Radway spent last year splitting time among the practice squads in Dallas, Chicago and St. Louis.

“I’m definitely more confident, more comfortable here now,’’ the speedster said. “And guys like (fellow receivers) Austin Pettis and Chris Givens have really been helpful, getting me to play fast.’’

The receiver position with the Rams is young and deep, featuring third-year pro Pettis and second-year players Givens and Brian Quick as the only “veterans.

Others in the mix include 2013 draft picks Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey as well as free agents Radway, Nick Johnson, Emory Blake, Demetrius Fields, Justin Veltung and Lindenwood University product Andrew Helmick.

“I can’t worry about anybody else but me,’’ Radway said. “I just gotta make plays and work my hardest on special teams to try and make things happen. The only thing I can control is my output. I just have to make sure I leave everything on the field.’’

PROMO SCHEDULE

The Rams, who put single-game tickets on sale Thursday, have announced a promotional schedule highlighted by a post-game concert and a Long vs. Long figurine series, the first of its kind in the NFL.

“We are excited to release our promotional schedule to our fans for the 2013 season,’’ said Rams vice president of marketing and brand strategy Brian Killingsworth. “We feel these giveaways will greatly enhance the game-day experience at the Edward Jones Dome this season.’’

A quick look at the promotion schedule....

• Sunday, Sept. 8 vs. Arizona Cardinals, 3:25 p.m.: All fans will receive a blue Rams rally towel to celebrate the start of the season and to kick off the United Way of Greater St. Louis campaign. The Rams will take part in the NFL’s Back to Football efforts.

• Thursday, Sept. 26 vs. San Francisco 49ers, 7:25 p.m.: All fans will receive a #RamsPrimetime t-shirt.

• Sunday, Oct.6 vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars, 12 p.m.: The first 15,000 fans will receive a detailed Jake Long figurine, the first of two in the Long vs. Long series. . It will also mark the Rams’ annual Breast Cancer Awareness game.

• Monday, Oct. 28 vs. Seattle Seahawks, 7:40 p.m.: All fans will receive a Rams’ rally flag.

• Sunday, Nov. 3 vs. Tennessee Titans, 12 p.m.: Local U.S. military heroes will be honored throughout the game as part of the team’s Military Appreciation efforts. The game, which will feature the Rams in their 1999-era throwback uniforms, will be followed by a country music concert.

• Sunday, Nov. 24 vs. Chicago Bears, 12 p.m.: The team will host its annual “Green’’ game to spread awareness promote living environmentally. and socially responsible.

• Sunday, Dec. 15 vs. New Orleans Saints, 12 p.m.: The first 15,000 kids age 14 and under will receive PLAY 60 NFL eye-black stickers.

• Sunday, Dec. 22 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 12 p.m.: On Fan Appreciation Day, the first 15,000 fans will receive a detailed Chris Long figurine that will connect to the Jake Long figurine to complete the Long vs. Long series. The team will again wear its 1999-era throwbacks.

PRACTICE SCHEDULE

The Rams had an off day Sunday and return to practice at 3:30 p.m. today in Earth City. The team also will hold open-to-the-public workouts Thursday (3:30 p.m.) and Friday (11:15 a.m.) as they prepare to host Green Bay at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Edward Jones Dome.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-notebook-free-agent-wr-radway-looks-to-shake-off/article_ee572ae3-6bb3-5da9-bf02-4b14bf3e987a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... e987a.html</a>