Free-agent OL Kyle Long leaves Raiders without deal, signs with Kansas City ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Levi Damien
Tue, March 16, 2021, 7:28 PM

204a920766e52c2d2be8ff9a6192595d

Last week, former Bears offensive lineman Kyle Long came out of retirement. After a year out of football, Long hopes to have put his significant injury history behind him. With the Raiders turning over nearly their entire offensive line, they became the first to give him a look.
Monday, Long — the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long — showed up at the Raiders facility to meet with the team. He stayed over in Vegas and worked out on Tuesday. And you’d have to think if the money were right, the team would not have let him leave. But leave he did, tweeting out Tuesday afternoon that he was on a plane out of town.

Per multiple reports, Kansas City is Long’s next destination. The rival Chiefs are another team that had an offensive line upheaval, cutting both tackles Eric Fisher and Mitchel Schwartz on failed physical designations and center Austin Reiter expected to leave in free agency.
Long played mostly right guard in his seven seasons in Chicago, but stepped in to start at right tackle for one season. The 32-year-old may not be able to command too much in free agency in terms of a commitment. He hasn’t played a full season since 2015 and averaged less than eight games per season.

Would love to bring this cat in, but specially for starting RT duty so long as the contract is heavily discounted and we gain more CAP by trading Hav. That would be quite a positional battle imo. And you just know that both Chris and Howie would stir the pot making things even more fun. Imagine Whitworth and Long outside and Edwards & Corbett at OG while Hudson eats up interior Defensive linemen , then Akers picking his way thru the opposition, while Stafford unleashes his arsenal to our very complementary group of receivers. I pity the fools lining up against us. jmo.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Levi Damien
Tue, March 16, 2021, 7:28 PM

204a920766e52c2d2be8ff9a6192595d

Last week, former Bears offensive lineman Kyle Long came out of retirement. After a year out of football, Long hopes to have put his significant injury history behind him. With the Raiders turning over nearly their entire offensive line, they became the first to give him a look.
Monday, Long — the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long — showed up at the Raiders facility to meet with the team. He stayed over in Vegas and worked out on Tuesday. And you’d have to think if the money were right, the team would not have let him leave. But leave he did, tweeting out Tuesday afternoon that he was on a plane out of town.

Per multiple reports, Kansas City is Long’s next destination. The rival Chiefs are another team that had an offensive line upheaval, cutting both tackles Eric Fisher and Mitchel Schwartz on failed physical designations and center Austin Reiter expected to leave in free agency.
Long played mostly right guard in his seven seasons in Chicago, but stepped in to start at right tackle for one season. The 32-year-old may not be able to command too much in free agency in terms of a commitment. He hasn’t played a full season since 2015 and averaged less than eight games per season.

Would love to bring this cat in, but specially for starting RT duty so long as the contract is heavily discounted and we gain more CAP by trading Hav. That would be quite a positional battle imo. And you just know that both Chris and Howie would stir the pot making things even more fun. Imagine Whitworth and Long outside and Edwards & Corbett at OG while Hudson eats up interior Defensive linemen , then Akers picking his way thru the opposition, while Stafford unleashes his arsenal to our very complementary group of receivers. I pity the fools lining up against us. jmo.
Rather get Hudson but we shall see what the Rams decide. Good luck guessing lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm surprised the Raiduhs knew better.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wtf is people's issue with Havenstein? Cause he's weak against speed guys? He's better than the majority of the starting RT, and someone wants to take long...who was a guard for his career with Chicago and put him outside after two seasons off? How is that better?

Idk, maybe there is something I'm not seeing that everyone else is. I dont see Rob as a big problem.

Not saying I'm an Oline expert...I could be wrong. But it's nothing I've seen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wtf is people's issue with Havenstein? Cause he's weak against speed guys? He's better than the majority of the starting RT, and someone wants to take long...who was a guard for his career with Chicago and put him outside after two seasons off? How is that better?

Idk, maybe there is something I'm not seeing that everyone else is. I dont see Rob as a big problem.

I don't think anyone has a prob with Hav. For me at least it's recognition that maybe they want to move his salary to C. Depending on what they think of their other players like Edwards or Evans at RT it might make sense to the Rams to fill that RT job with a cheaper option and then pay a Center with end result being a better 5.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyle Long played the entire 2015 season at RT, he could compete with Noteboom, Edwards, Evans, a newly drafted OT and one of the young studs like Anchrum for the job. Even if he didn't win the pole position, he's still a great alternative at RG if Corbett was moved inside, and he'll likely come pretty damn cheap at that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm leery of concussions but let's be honest... Long is probably better than anyone on our OL not named Whit or Edwards. I just don't trust the guy and in fact think he's looking for a retirement check.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I just don't trust the guy and in fact think he's looking for a retirement check.

Seriously, this would be a big surprise to me. From Howie, Chris & Kyle, the Long's have all been pretty ethical guys who play with pride and determination.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously, this would be a big surprise to me. From Howie, Chris & Kyle, the Long's have all been pretty ethical guys who play with pride and determination.
They sure have. But plenty of ethical guys have tried to get as much as they can for retirement.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They sure have. But plenty of ethical guys have tried to get as much as they can for retirement.

He's 32 years old, not 39, no reason why he can't play well for a few more seasons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's 32 years old, not 39, no reason why he can't play well for a few more seasons.
He's 32 going on 50. You may be right btw. But I couldn't stomach another signing that we need to cut the next year.

Ram65

Legend
Well, that's settled. I liked Long and hoped the Rams would have signed him when he first came into the league. Hard to say now without seeing medical reports and work outs if he was worth picking up for the Rams. I would like to see an OC upgrade most. Long could have 2 to 3 years left in his career. Very intense player. Just ask William Hayes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm an NFL free agent, I tell you what I would do.
I'd become a member here and start a thread saying, "We should sign <me>, he's a FA"
Before you know it, a couple posters like the idea and WHAM
Gets signed by another NFL team....

Psycho_X

Legend
About as good of a situation as Long could hope for. Gets out of Chicago and on a guaranteed Super Bowl favorite and makes a little coin in the process.