Free-agent list will keep Rams busy/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Free-agent list will keep Rams busy
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5796f874-c3b0-53fd-b6cd-9848031e98c1.html

During most of their time in St. Louis, the Rams have done a good job of re-signing their own free agents. And to a large degree, that’s meant keeping their core players from even reaching the market by locking them up before the start of free agency.

Undoubtedly distracted by the planned franchise move to Los Angeles, that’s not necessarily the case this year. The team has 12 players scheduled for unrestricted free agency; six more are scheduled for restricted free agency.

Of the 12 pending unrestricted free agents, eight started at least six games this season. And that’s not including kicker Greg Zuerlein. All told, the dozen players accounted for 101 starts between them during the just-completed season. That’s a lot of time on the field that needs to either be re-signed, or replaced.

“There’s been discussions,” coach Jeff Fisher said Monday at his season wrap-up news conference. “It’s been on-going. I’m confident that Kevin (Demoff) and Tony (Pastoors) will get those things done. We have good relationships with the agents. By all accounts, they all want to come back, which is good.”

Demoff, of course, is the team’s executive vice president of football operations; Pastoors, who increasingly has done the heavy lifting in terms of signing players in recent years, has the title of senior assistant.

This offseason is the first in which players drafted during the Fisher-Les Snead tenure are eligible for free agency.

Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, wide receiver Brian Quick, and Zuerlein are all pending unrestricted free agents from the first Fisher-Snead draft class of 2012. Jenkins is the first Rams player acquired via a draft pick from the Robert Griffin III trade to become eligible for free agency.

Throw in free safety Rodney McLeod and tight end/fullback Cory Harkey, who were signed by the Rams as undrafted rookies, and that makes six rookies brought in in 2012 that are pending free agents.

“We have a lot of decisions to make,” Fisher said. “We’ve got some key free agents that we have to get back. That’s gonna be our focus, especially in the secondary. We’ve drafted well there. They’ve produced.

“We’ve developed them, and we don’t want to develop them for anyone else. So we want to be sure that we’re able to get them back. We’re confident we can do that.”

We’ll see. Since the early days of the Fisher-Snead tandem in St. Louis, the Rams have boasted about their youth, and all the draft picks they have accumulated — in part due to the RGIII trade and spinoff trades. These were the players the team would develop and grow with. They would become the foundation of the team for years to come.

But now comes the problem. If you can’t re-sign those players, they become somebody else’s core — or as Fisher says, you have developed them for somebody else. And history shows, the closer you get to the start of free agency — which begins March 9 this year — the more likely players are to explore the market.

The Rams do have tons of salary cap room. When all is said and done it could be in excess of $50 million. For now, tampering aside, teams have exclusive negotiating rights with their own free agents until early March.

As Fisher mentioned, it all begins with the secondary, where three of the four starters are scheduled for unrestricted free agency — Jenkins, Johnson, and McLeod.

Jenkins and Johnson have developed into a good cornerback tandem, with 91 NFL starts between them. Both made the most of their “contract years” this season, playing their best football.

“They’ve done well, and I think you (reporters) have seen them improve every single year of their careers,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said last week. “So, I’d love to be able to coach them for the rest of their careers, hopefully. We’ll see.”

Jenkins and Johnson both have expressed an interest in returning to the Rams — then again, most players throughout the league say the same thing about returning to their current squad.

From outward appearances, it seems that the Rams have spent more time and energy trying to get Jenkins re-signed. But around the time of the Rams’ bye week in mid-October, Jenkins said he no longer wanted to negotiate with the Rams during the season, and was willing to “bet on himself.”

In other words, gamble that his play over the remainder of the season would make him a desirable free agent, not just to the Rams but to cornerback-needy teams throughout the league. The Rams are still talking to Jenkins’ agent, and the situation can best be described as fluid.

Meanwhile, Mark Barron has played his way into the Rams’ hearts, so to speak, blossoming in a linebacker/safety role this season. Filling the void at weakside linebacker following Alec Ogletree’s season-ending leg injury Oct. 4 in Arizona, Barron led the Rams in tackles with a career-high 135 and also had a team-high four forced fumbles.

“We desperately want him back, and he wants to come back,” Fisher said. “He likes the role. He likes the position.”

Even with Ogletree returning next season, Fisher says the Rams can find plenty of packages to keep Barron busy in his hybrid role. Barron told The Post-Dispatch after the San Francisco game that discussions were ongoing between his agent and the Rams.

“I can’t really give you much on it, because I don’t know,” Barron said. “Just gotta go and talk, and get something worked out. Hopefully, we can get something worked out.”

Another area to keep an eye on is the defensive line, where depth has been a huge asset in recent seasons but three top reserves are pending free agents: ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims, and tackle Nick Fairley.

Because of injuries to usual starters Robert Quinn and Chris Long, Hayes and Sims actually had more combined starts (20) than Quinn and Long (12) this season. Hayes loves playing for Fisher, so unless he gets totally low-balled by the Rams or blown away by an outside offer, he’ll be back.

“(Fisher’s) an amazing guy,” Hayes said. “He cares about us players, and pushes me. That’s the thing I appreciate about him the most. He gets more out of me than any other coach ever has. He knows I’d jump off a roof for him. That’s the love I’ve got for him.”

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
So our FA's are:

Fairley
Hayes
Sims
Barron
McLoed
Quick
TruJo
JJ
Harkey
Zuerlein
Barnes
Cunningham
Reynolds
Davis
Keenum
Welker

thats a lot of contracts to get sorted!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
We need to bring back Tru,JJ, Fairly, Cunningham, Barron and McLeod for sure.Quick, Harkey,Hayes and Sims if the price is right. The rest I wouldn't be to upset if we lost and yes I realize Keenum is one of them.Our defence is our strength and must be kept intact.We can can pickup a couple of free agents and draft a couple more for depth.I believe our Oline is coming together, allowed the fewest sacks even with all the injuries. So this draft must address playmakers with 3 of our 1st 4 picks Imo.Were not that far away yes we can use some luck in the draft but who doesn't. This team has been ready to take off given all the right pieces in place so lets hope they do that this offseason.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Is the $50m cap space figure that's quoted in that article accurate?

That's the first time I've heard it quoted as being so high.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I know the fate of the Rams big name FA's like Jenkins, Johnson, Hayes, and Barron will hold our interest but I will also be interested to see what they do with some interchangeable role player Restricted FA's for which they have to make decisions.

Case Kenum
Benny Cunningham
Chase Reynolds
Daren Bates
Cody Davis

The thing is the minimum tender - right of first refusal for restricted free agents will be in the $1.65 mill price range (estimated) and that seems pretty hefty for some of the guys above that are backups and special teamers at this point in their careers. None are projected as future starters and the only one I could see moving into a full-time starting role might be Cody Davis if the Rams lose McLeod. Kenum is sort of penciled in as the place-holder starter but I hope the Rams find a better option and he returns ONLY as a backup. ($1.6 mil for a an experienced backup QB is a actually a bargain - for starter it would be a steal).

Are Davis, Bates, Cunningham, and Reynolds worth $1.65 Million? I would say Cunningham and Davis maybe, but I think Bates and for sure Reynolds can be brought back for the less if they are retained at all. Bates' replacements could already on the roster in Hagar and Lynch.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Is the $50m cap space figure that's quoted in that article accurate?

That's the first time I've heard it quoted as being so high.

I think current cap number is the in $38 mill range. With some expected cap cuts/restructures like Cook and Long that could easily push it north of $50 mil. Simply cutting Long and Cook outright would add around $17.5 million in cap space.

Note: I know Long is not worth his 14 million cap hit for 2016 but I hope they find a way to restructure or resign him if he is cut. When fully healthy I think he can still be an above average DE he and he will only be 31 next season.

Overthecap.com is a pretty good sight for cap information
Link: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I think current cap number is the in $38 mill range. With some expected cap cuts/restructures like Cook and Long that could easily push it north of $50 mil. Simply cutting Long and Cook outright would add around $17.5 million in cap space.

Note: I know Long is not worth his 14 million cap hit for 2016 but I hope they find a way to restructure or resign him if he is cut. When fully healthy I think he can still be an above average DE he and he will only be 31 next season.

Overthecap.com is a pretty good sight for cap information
Link: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

I'm all for cutting Cook but agree that, ideally, Long restructures because he can still help this team when healthy which he clearly wasn't this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So our FA's are:

Fairley
Hayes
Sims
Barron
McLoed
Quick
TruJo
JJ
Harkey
Zuerlein
Barnes
Cunningham
Reynolds
Davis
Keenum
Welker

thats a lot of contracts to get sorted!
I would like to see us keep them all, but we know that won't happen!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The time of the release of TE Jared Cook looks to come in play here as flv has brought up many times here. If you cut Cook before June 1st the cap savings is $5,699,559 million if you release him after June 1st the Cap savings increases to $7,000,000 million. But if I recall right Cook looks like an All Pro in pre season then turns into :poop:.

Same here on OL'er Rodger Saffold where if we release him before June 1st the cap saving is only $2,656,250 mil. If we release Saffold later after June 1st the cap savings is $4,656,250 million. Only big problem is Saffold @ any time after June 1st could stub his little toe & go on IR & the Rams suffer zero cap savings. But if these numbers are close then I would not be as quick to pull the trigger on RS. I would let him go toe to toe with Greg Robinson in a battle to who will start @ OLT in 2016. If Saffold is healthy & lighter (due to two reconstructive shoulder surgeries) RS might be a bona fide fix to a problematic offensive post @ OLT.

Having Quinn recovering from back surgery along with both Hayes & Sims being UFA's along with that Unbelievable cap hit by C. Long makes the off season situation @ DE as bothersome as the CB is.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Cook and his contract, Long's contract, Fairley at his high price, and J Jenkins at any high price.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I feel they gotta bring back at least one of the two corners TJ or JJ. If JJ is going to break the bank then I think they might have to move on from him. If they can bring them both back then great. But I feel its imperative they don't lose both. I also believe Barron should be a high priority. McLeod to a certain extent too. Mainly because he knows the system and knows his teammates. Chemistry in the secondary is important to avoid breakdowns.

All in all I believe they have the cap room to re-sign all the top priority guys. I never thought I would say this but the offensive line just might not be a problem next year. Its the quarterback position. Keenum does a good job avoiding the rush and they've given up the least sacks. But he just doesn't make enough plays to take all the heat off of Gurley. We need a guy who can keep defenses from stacking the box. We find that guy and Gurley rushes for 2000 yards and a bunch of TD's.