Free Agency Signings Will Personify McVay!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You have think McVay will go in the Redskin direction early. They have two WR that he should be highly considering in Garcon and Jackson. I don't believe he will focus on players that are (FOSM) Friends of Sean McVay. I'm not sure what strategy the Rams are going to use as far as quantity or quality. Bringing in a high quality offensive lineman could set the stage to finally improve the line for the future and Goff. Garcon might come in as a higher mid signing. We don't have a history to go on for McVay. It's up in the air till it happens.

I'm going by Demoff saying he would rather spread things out by giving The Rams more areas filled. Like at Wr they will get 2 wr's or McVay high on TE's .
Kromer saying he feeling good about coaching the young Lineman up & is up for the challenge . The Rams are real weak at center.

We all know that Tru wants more $$$. , so at what price is he worth it ?? I think they might put a waiver on signing a couple FA CB's & another DB at safety ??
TJ is a FA as well.
The Rams(snisher had a God track record at finding a RB later in the draft ?? Bennie is in question. The Rams have a lot of decision to make.

As far as McVay & the Redskins ?? He has a real good coaching staff that he is going to let have a say in there evaluations. He is going to trust his staff.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think it will be very difficult to bring players in. We are one of the losingist franchise around. I fear we have to pay premium prices to get the guys we want. Where we could catch a break is with FOSM, I know @den-the-coach sont want this lol, but bringing in guys who know your system or you trust is not always a bad thing, plus you have a voice in the locker room who supports you. It's not a bad approach for your first round of FA but it's important he brings the right guys, something that escaped Fisher

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not a bad approach for your first round of FA but it's important he brings the right guys, something that escaped Fisher

MMDxk.gif

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Just gonna leave this here....

"Josh Gordon is worth the risk for the Seahawks to sign him cheap"
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/2/24...-2017-josh-gordon-browns-marijuana-suspension

I say... We should try to get Gordon here for Cheap along with Brandon Marshall AND Robert Woods

Gordon is going to come cheap, if we throw just a little more at him, the reward of this Trio and any other receivers that may catch on would be WELL WORTH THE RISK and better than anything that we can currently think of (if Gordon does indeed workout)... Just saying.

Marshall, Gordon, Woods, Austin, Cooper, Thomas - THIS would be a solid receiving corp. Elite playmakers with sure hands mixed with promising young talent... Who are NOT afraid to put their bodies on the line to get the ball and make a play. The experiencing and ceiling this could have.

Last edited:

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
LOL... people can change with the right motivation! I mean, if he's on our team in LA and we have a shot to go somewhere in a one of the best stadiums of any sports team... It's a lot to motivate you into keeping your head down and working hard at one common goal, a championship.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL... people can change with the right motivation! I mean, if he's on our team in LA and we have a shot to go somewhere in a one of the best stadiums of any sports team... It's a lot to motivate you into keeping your head down and working hard at one common goal, a championship.

Baylor and Utah kicked Josh Gordon off of their teams for his drug problem.(BAYLOR!!!!!!!!) In the NFL, despite looking at a major payday, Josh Gordon has repeatedly been suspended and failed drug tests left and right.

What exactly is going to change here? Oh right, he'll be in a state where marijuana is LEGAL. That will totally keep him from smoking. ;)

Ram65

Legend
I'm going by Demoff saying he would rather spread things out by giving The Rams more areas filled. Like at Wr they will get 2 wr's or McVay high on TE's .
Kromer saying he feeling good about coaching the young Lineman up & is up for the challenge . The Rams are real weak at center.

We all know that Tru wants more $$$. , so at what price is he worth it ?? I think they might put a waiver on signing a couple FA CB's & another DB at safety ??
TJ is a FA as well.
The Rams(snisher had a Good track record at finding a RB later in the draft ?? Bennie is in question. The Rams have a lot of decision to make.

As far as McVay & the Redskins ?? He has a real good coaching staff that he is going to let have a say in there evaluations. He is going to trust his staff.

At this time of year you can't believe with certainty what Demoff, Snead and McVay say. They don't want to tip their hand in any way. Yes, they can go in any direction. OC, WR 1 or 2, and have questions at CBs, Safety as well as backup RB. I'm sure there will be lot's of surprises to many of us here.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll just put this here...I'm scared of FA's

But, nothing wrong with cheap deals for a Mangold, Clady, .....not sure about corners, wide receivers, and linebackers.....I'm really scared of FA's.:eek::death::headexplosion::help:o_O:bueller::wtf::notsure::seizure:

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Baylor and Utah kicked Josh Gordon off of their teams for his drug problem.(BAYLOR!!!!!!!!) In the NFL, despite looking at a major payday, Josh Gordon has repeatedly been suspended and failed drug tests left and right.

What exactly is going to change here? Oh right, he'll be in a state where marijuana is LEGAL. That will totally keep him from smoking. ;)

I'm well aware of his history. Agreed to disagree.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
At this time of year you can't believe with certainty what Demoff, Snead and McVay say. They don't want to tip their hand in any way. Yes, they can go in any direction. OC, WR 1 or 2, and have questions at CBs, Safety as well as backup RB. I'm sure there will be lot's of surprises to many of us here.

Sure there is going to be surprises & things there not going to tell fans.
Demoff was in search of a coach , & just keeping things in general. McVay was talking early on, & he was a TE coach. I think he is looking at filling that position. If time. If he turns on the tape of The Rams TE's this last season, he surly will be disappointed . Lance Kendrick is not the answer & has to much losing in his veins.
Higbee & Hemmingway are both raw. They both have excellent upside.Will see ??
Tru - is a real cut & dry. The Rams are pretty solid in that direction.I'm sure there is a number figure on him.The Rams still need depth in the D' backfield with or without Tru.Do you want 2 for 1 ??

WR is same type of situation.It will be interesting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm well aware of his history. Agreed to disagree.

If you're well aware of his history, then you're well aware people have been saying the exact things you have for the last 5+ years. Counting on Gordon for anything is a huge mistake.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
If you're well aware of his history, then you're well aware people have been saying the exact things you have for the last 5+ years. Counting on Gordon for anything is a huge mistake.

Yes, I know. I have been one of those people. Also 5 years is an exaggeration. You're not telling me anything earth shattering or eye-opening. Agreed to disagree with your viewpoint.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I know. I have been one of those people. Also 5 years is an exaggeration. You're not telling me anything earth shattering or eye-opening. Agreed to disagree with your viewpoint.

It's not an exaggeration. It started 6 years ago at Utah. "Baylor already kicked Josh off the team. He knows he has a NFL future. There's no way he'll keep having drug problems here and jeopardize that future."

People have talked about bringing in Gordon each of the past two years. Yet, he's played zero games for any team over that period of time. How many suspensions will it take for people to stop thinking this kid will change?

Any of us rational folk would have gotten the message six years ago. Josh hasn't. Does Josh want to change? Certainly doesn't seem like it to me. Yet, here I am getting into this same argument for the third year in a row. Yep, we're going to agree to disagree. I'm sure we'll do the same thing next year after Josh either fails to get reinstated or is suspended again. ;)

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
It's not an exaggeration. It started 6 years ago at Utah. "Baylor already kicked Josh off the team. He knows he has a NFL future. There's no way he'll keep having drug problems here and jeopardize that future."

People have talked about bringing in Gordon each of the past two years. Yet, he's played zero games for any team over that period of time. How many suspensions will it take for people to stop thinking this kid will change?

Any of us rational folk would have gotten the message six years ago. Josh hasn't. Does Josh want to change? Certainly doesn't seem like it to me. Yet, here I am getting into this same argument for the third year in a row. Yep, we're going to agree to disagree. I'm sure we'll do the same thing next year after Josh either fails to get reinstated or is suspended again. ;)

Okay :)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
great post @den-the-coach. It will be interesting to see how McVay will approach Free Agency, I have no problem with the "friends of..." approach, McVay has build a coaching team with a mixture of both, you've got to build 'units' that can work well together, for me I would look at it this way:
  1. Are we a player away from being a contender?
    Unfortunately, we need upgrades at many position not just, lets say, at WR.

2. Which players will I get most production from for my money?
    I think it's important to get players that are hungry to play, maybe guys on teams that want more of a staring staring role. If we go for big name guys right off the bat (Jeffrey) we may be handicapping the team.

3. Who will fit my scheme, day 1?
    You've got to have guys that could easily just 'slot in'. You don't want a player that will have to find his way in your scheme. If that means you're picking up a FA from your last team then so be it, then so be it.
So, I'd like to see McVay look at these second tier guys, more so than the big name.

Lets not forget
We've done our big name signings this year in McVay and Phillips, lets not forget that. Our coaching staff was where we needed the biggest upgrade last year, and that's been a wholesale change and I, for one, am excited.

So who would I like to try and pick up??
1. Pierre Garcon / Desean Jackson (WR, Wash) - ok, not second tier names, but either WR would be great for the Rams, both great route runners, excellent hands, whichever McVay thinks will be the best 'fit' I'm happy with.
2. Kayvon Webster (CB, Den) - A young rotational guy at Denver, but plays like a starter, he would be cheap and would have intimate knowledge of Phillips' scheme. I''m excited with the CB draft class this year, but I think the addition of Webster is a must for the Rams. He's a guy that is stuck behind some big names in Denver, a Special Team captain that would thrive as a starter.
3. Micah Hyde (DB, GB) - One of my favourite players on the GB defence, not the fastest, but definitely has football instincts, I'm sure that Phillips' creativity would be able to turn Hyde into a Pro Bowler.
4. Ronald Leary (OG, Dal) - I know he's a forum favourite to be picked up during FA, I'm sure his addition to the O-line would be welcomed.
5. Jack Crawford (DE, Dal) - A flexible D-liner that can play DE and DT.

Others in consideration include Robert Woods, Andrew Whitworth, Brian Schwenke, JC Tretter, Kenny Stills

Zero

Pro Bowler
I love the idea of signing a splash player... but I think I'd rather our approach be to spread the available budget across the tier two free agents.
  1. We can sign more players
  2. Lower risk... most FA are free for a reason
Great topic, Den.

Edit: I do think Sean would like a Washington WR to help deploy things offensively, if the fit is mutual. But that's a guess.
Paging Mr. Garcon....
Mr Garcon... We are now boarding one way to LA.