Free agency negotiating window opens at 12:00 p.m. ET Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/negotiating-window-open-at-1200-p-m-et-tuesday/

Negotiating window open at 12:00 p.m. ET Tuesday
Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2017

high_noon_poster-e1488852314889.jpg

The 2017 calendar has jammed the end of the Scouting Combine and the start of free agency closer together than ever before, with the workouts in Indianapolis ending on Monday and the free agency period opening on Tuesday. (Hopefully, future NFL calendars will return to the one-week buffer.)

Specifically, the annual two-day negotiating period launches at 12:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday. (Yes, we’ve already written about the annual legal tampering period memo; however, some believe that, because free agency opens on Thursday at 4:00 p.m. ET, the negotiating window opens on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/nfl-sends-out-annual-legal-tampering-memo/

NFL sends out annual legal tampering memo
Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2017

Several years ago, the NFL acknowledged the rampant pre-free agency tampering by creating a window for permissible pre-free agency tampering. Meanwhile, impermissible pre-free agency tampering continues, largely unchecked.

Each year, the league office sends out a memo containing a list of do’s and don’ts. The 2017 memo was distributed to all teams today.

The permissible pre-free agency tampering window opens at 12:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, and it lasts until “3:59:59 p.m.” ET on Thursday. During that window, teams may enter into contract negotiations with agents representing the players who will become free agents at 4:00 p.m. ET on Thursday.

“During the two-day negotiating period, all clubs may negotiate all aspects of an NFL Player Contract with the certified agent of any prospective UFA,” the memo explains. “However, a new club may not execute an NFL Player Contract with a prospective UFA until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9, when the player’s 2016 contract expires.”

Prohibited actions during the legal tampering window include: (1) executing a player contract; (2) executing an agreement in principle “or similar document”; (3) announcing that an agreement in principle or similar agreement has been reached; (4) violating the CBA provisions that relate to undisclosed contractual terms. (That last one presumably applies even after free agency officially begins.)

Reading between the lines, a verbal agreement in principle is permitted, as long as it’s not announced. Inevitably, agreements in principle will be reached and leaked. Still, no deal is done until it is signed, and no deal can be signed until after 4:00 p.m. ET on Thursday.

Teams also cannot make travel arrangements for player visits, and there can be no communication with the player — even if he represents himself. This means that the rest of the tackle market will get even more of a head start on Russell Okung, especially after the illegal tampering that happened at the Scouting Combine. (At one point, there was a belief that Okung would show up in Indianapolis with the goal of negotiating a contract.)

Even though free agency doesn’t really open until Thursday, it actually opens on Tuesday. And plenty of unofficial deals will be done, quickly.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Seriously?!?! I thought it was 12am ET... UGH! The wait is almost unbearable! :(

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So they have two days to chat before they can ink? I hate the wait. Hopefully we at least get a good chunk of rumours to pass the time.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
So they have two days to chat before they can ink? I hate the wait. Hopefully we at least get a good chunk of rumours to pass the time.

Aren't there usually verbal commitments first, like the NBA? Wouldn't we hear about Verbal Commitments first, before we ink in?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Aren't there usually verbal commitments first, like the NBA? Wouldn't we hear about Verbal Commitments first, before we ink in?

True. You do get those every year. Mostly big names that we don't usually end up with. Maybe that'll be different for us this year.

Ram65

Legend
I think deals will be leaked or reporters know who is talking to whom. Yes verbal agreements will be reached. The highest price FA will go first.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I can't wait to fall asleep. It's my weekend from work so I'm sleeping in til about 10 (I'm on the west coast) so I can wake up to some good rumors.

HellRam

Starter
I'm slightly surprised the Rams have yet to cut anyone. I wasn't expecting much in that regard, but still I thought a couple player's would be released. Usually by now teams have done their cuts.

Maybe they want to see who they have a shot at before they start cutting players???

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I'm slightly surprised the Rams have yet to cut anyone. I wasn't expecting much in that regard, but still I thought a couple player's would be released. Usually by now teams have done their cuts.

Maybe they want to see who they have a shot at before they start cutting players???

I think you're absolutely right and this is the plan. Snead hinted at this during his press conference.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been a long time since the Rams hit FA hard and heavy, let alone went after players who made sense.

Going off memory here admittedly, last time I was excited by our moves in FA was when Fish went after LT Long. Now, most of us were at least worried about his injuries, but it still felt good to see the Rams be decisive and go get what they wanted and have it be a position that was a problem.

Prior to that, no kiddin, I think was '99. And if you look at the difference, it was that they went after a FA in his prime at a position they needed. So I really pray they do the same thing this time around and get all in there vs all comers to drag Zeitler to LA and get him signed quicklike and in a hurry. Barring him go get Lang. At least that way our line has some added hope even if it's just on the interior to allow Goff to step up.

I'm excited man, just hope they pay up for guys who deserve it and who are in their primes without big injury history.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I even have higher hopes Merlin. How can things start for my RAM fandom so young and so many Winning seasons with losing Playoff appearances Though? Then have "GSOT" happen and then move back to L.A. while building the most expensive stadium in NFL history while moving back to Blue and Whites where I started ? Then add the Super young Franchise QB of the future with the youngest NFL offensive Wonderkind HC ? Plus 17 other coaches we can only dream will turn things in a 180 . Please lets finish my dream ride after I go to Canton in August to watch MY second QB next to Roman Gabriel get his Golden Jacket and Bronze Bust. Get on the RAMS train. :fuelfire:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been a long time since the Rams hit FA hard and heavy, let alone went after players who made sense.

Going off memory here admittedly, last time I was excited by our moves in FA was when Fish went after LT Long. Now, most of us were at least worried about his injuries, but it still felt good to see the Rams be decisive and go get what they wanted and have it be a position that was a problem.

Prior to that, no kiddin, I think was '99. And if you look at the difference, it was that they went after a FA in his prime at a position they needed. So I really pray they do the same thing this time around and get all in there vs all comers to drag Zeitler to LA and get him signed quicklike and in a hurry. Barring him go get Lang. At least that way our line has some added hope even if it's just on the interior to allow Goff to step up.

I'm excited man, just hope they pay up for guys who deserve it and who are in their primes without big injury history.

I see that you forget the blockbuster Billy Devaney deals for Kim Herring and Drew Bennett...

Ram65

Legend
Britt was being Britt in Atlantic City. People saw him and got a picture of his check with sig. He told someone that asked him about the Eagles and he said a deal was done. Local radio guy called and talked to him in his AC hotel room. Britt said he was going to take a show and to call back in 20 minutes. Johnny Marks called back and Britt had checked out. About that time the agent make the announcement that he had not signed. Oh that Kenny Britt.:redcard:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good ol "Buck Tooth Britt" runnin round Atlantic City blabbin his mouth? Man I hope that's what happens looool. Eagles gonna regret that one.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Britt was being Britt in Atlantic City. People saw him a got a picture of his check with sig. He told someone that asked him about the Eagles and he said a deal was done. Local radio guy called and talked to him in his AC hotel room. Britt said he was going to take a show and to call back in 20 minutes. Johnny Marks called back and Britt had checked out. About that time the agent make the announcement that he had not signed. Oh that Kenny Britt.:redcard:

Gooood riddance.