Freddie's awesome voice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've always felt that Freddie Mercury's voice was one of the best I've ever heard and now science backs me up!!!

I had heard that at one point he was looking into getting surgery done on his mouth and teeth to fix it since it looked a bit odd but when he found out it very well could have changed his voice he decided to pass.

He was a total badass. One of the best entertainers in the history of modern music. Just a fantastic front man.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/20/entertainment/freddie-mercury-voice-study/index.html

Freddie Mercury's voice was easy come, easy go, little high, little low, and now a group of researchers have delved into how amazing it was.

The study, "Freddie Mercury -- acoustic analysis of speaking fundamental frequency, vibrato, and subharmonics," was recently published in the journal "Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology" and looked at the Queen front man's vocal abilities.
The team of Austrian, Czech and Swedish authors used archival recordings to delve into the sound of the man whose voice has been described as "a force of nature with the velocity of a hurricane."

"Freddie Mercury was one of the twentieth century's best-known singers of commercial contemporary music," the study states. "This study presents an acoustical analysis of his voice production and singing style, based on perceptual and quantitative analysis of publicly available sound recordings."
The study found that Mercury, who died in 1991 from AIDS-related complications, was a master at modulating his voice. The findings included evidence that Mercury was using "subharmonics" by vibrating his ventricular folds, a technique usually found only in Tuvan throat singers.
"Perceptually, Freddie Mercury's irregular (and typically faster) vibrato is clearly audible in the sustained notes of famous songs such as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (A Night at the Opera) or 'We Are the Champions' (News of the World), and it appears to be one of the hallmarks of his vocal style," the study says.
The research comes on the heels of the news that a notebook belonging to Mercury, filled with lyrics to 19 songs, is set to go to auction in June.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He had the best set of vocals I've ever heard. He was amazing.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The guy was amazing. Incredible voice and incredible front man.

Still sucks that he's gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He had the best set of vocals I've ever heard. He was amazing.

Agree. His peak was before my time, but Freddie Mercury would easily make my shortlist for best ever.

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
I've always felt that Freddie Mercury's voice was one of the best I've ever heard and now science backs me up!!!

I had heard that at one point he was looking into getting surgery done on his mouth and teeth to fix it since it looked a bit odd but when he found out it very well could have changed his voice he decided to pass.

He was a total badass. One of the best entertainers in the history of modern music. Just a fantastic front man.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/20/entertainment/freddie-mercury-voice-study/index.html

Freddie Mercury's voice was easy come, easy go, little high, little low, and now a group of researchers have delved into how amazing it was.

The study, "Freddie Mercury -- acoustic analysis of speaking fundamental frequency, vibrato, and subharmonics," was recently published in the journal "Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology" and looked at the Queen front man's vocal abilities.
The team of Austrian, Czech and Swedish authors used archival recordings to delve into the sound of the man whose voice has been described as "a force of nature with the velocity of a hurricane."

"Freddie Mercury was one of the twentieth century's best-known singers of commercial contemporary music," the study states. "This study presents an acoustical analysis of his voice production and singing style, based on perceptual and quantitative analysis of publicly available sound recordings."
The study found that Mercury, who died in 1991 from AIDS-related complications, was a master at modulating his voice. The findings included evidence that Mercury was using "subharmonics" by vibrating his ventricular folds, a technique usually found only in Tuvan throat singers.
"Perceptually, Freddie Mercury's irregular (and typically faster) vibrato is clearly audible in the sustained notes of famous songs such as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (A Night at the Opera) or 'We Are the Champions' (News of the World), and it appears to be one of the hallmarks of his vocal style," the study says.
The research comes on the heels of the news that a notebook belonging to Mercury, filled with lyrics to 19 songs, is set to go to auction in June.

Interesting that you posted this yesterday on the 24th anniversary of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley! I attended with a couple of friends and it was amazing the number of different vocalists that had to participate to even get close to the vocal range of Freddie Mercury.

A truly awesome talent, taken from us too soon

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting that you posted this yesterday on the 24th anniversary of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley! I attended with a couple of friends and it was amazing the number of different vocalists that had to participate to even get close to the vocal range of Freddie Mercury.

A truly awesome talent, taken from us too soon

Wow was it that long ago? I didn't know it was the anniversary but I remember the concert.

PhxRam

This is all I can think of when I hear his voice.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOCNY9pJ850