Freakonomics: Does Defense Win Championships?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yes it does. Even though the media becomes horny teenagers over passing records and point records, it doesn't matter if you can't stop the other team.

Saints, Packers, Lions have crappy defenses, while the 49ers/Giants had great defenses that could stop them (unlike the Lions vs. Saints, who if they had 3 more better players on D could've been in the SB)

Oh and the Giants brutalized the Falcons' O.

Even the Rams only SB win was b/c of a defender who stopped the guy from scoring.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
Even the Rams only SB win was b/c of a defender who stopped the guy from scoring.

No, but I understand what you're saying.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's pretty hard to put just a ranking on the defense without taking into account the offense. So a team could have a very good defense but if their O is a fast striking type offense, they might be on the field a bit too much and look like they are not as good as they are. Also, if a team is constantly going 3 and out, the defense will almost inevitably look bad. If an offense scores a lot of points, the defense will probably look like a bad passing defense and a really good rush defense - etc....

I still think defenses win championships no matter how they are ranked. It is the defense that is able to take away key components of an offense or make the other team play differently than they normally would that usually wins - especially when it gets to the big games. Sometimes an offense is just too good but.....

It is also part of the reason that I think our Rams would have been pretty decent if the offense could have done ANYTHING to help them out. But where did our defense rank? Does anyone really think they were THAT bad?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Maybe it's already been posted in this thread... I'm too lazy to check,,, but

It's already been decided - The team that wins the Bowl tomorrow will have the worst defense of any SB Winner in history.

Anonymous

Selassie I said:

It's already been decided - The team that wins the Bowl tomorrow will have the worst defense of any SB Winner in history.

Though the game still has to be played to determine if defense wins this championship. :ww:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

Though the game still has to be played to determine if defense wins this championship. :ww:

No it doesn't. Give me the stats after the game. I'll twist them to show how great the defense played in order to win. :tooth:

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

No it doesn't. Give me the stats after the game. I'll twist them to show how great the defense played in order to win. :tooth:

Spoken like a lawyer. :sly:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
squeaky wheel said:
RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

Spoken like a lawyer. :sly:
or researcher (which is why you should never trust any medical study without actually examining the study)

Angry Ram

Selassie I said:

Really? Remember the 2006 Colts who had the 32nd ranked rush D? But they did a complete 180 in the playoffs that year....

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

Really? Remember the 2006 Colts who had the 32nd ranked rush D? But they did a complete 180 in the playoffs that year....

Was it Freeney that made it back from injury in time for the playoffs? Or was it someone else? I remember they got someone back that turned it all around for the playoffs.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

Was it Freeney that made it back from injury in time for the playoffs? Or was it someone else? I remember they got someone back that turned it all around for the playoffs.
From page 2 of this thread:
The Colts benefited from Sanders getting well at the right time. They were horrid on D all season, missing Sanders. In the playoffs they turned everything around.

Anonymous

Ram Quixote said:
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

From page 2 of this thread:
The Colts benefited from Sanders getting well at the right time. They were horrid on D all season, missing Sanders. In the playoffs they turned everything around.

Thanks!

Angry Ram

Oh woops, didn't see that. What a player though, he comes back for 4 games and they win the SB, next year gets hurt and the D goes back to the bottom...

Anonymous

Ram Quixote said:
squeaky wheel said:
The answer is YES. Defense wins championships.
All by itself? Not really.

"all by itself." WTH? What kind of a response is that?

Without that safety how do the last few minutes of the game play out? A defense that can score points is frequently the difference in the game. Same for STs too.

bluecoconuts

Legend
squeaky wheel said:
Ram Quixote said:
squeaky wheel said:

Without that safety how do the last few minutes of the game play out? A defense that can score points is frequently the difference in the game. Same for STs too.

If the Patriots TE wasn't hurt, and the receivers weren't drop happy, there's a good chance that game looks a lot different.

Defense is key, I agree. But you need an offense at least capable of scoring when they need.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
squeaky wheel said:
Ram Quixote said:
squeaky wheel said:

If the Patriots TE wasn't hurt, and the receivers weren't drop happy, there's a good chance that game looks a lot different.

Defense is key, I agree. But you need an offense at least capable of scoring when they need.

Yet the Giants offense without the two points from their defense could well have lost 20-19. My point being the 2 points gained on defense were crucial....the offense couldn't score enough to render those two points superfluous.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Isnt it easier to just say good TEAMS win championships instead of picking one aspect of the game? The Pats offense was all about attacking the middle of the field, inside the numbers. They had no outside threat. The Giants could attack the middle with their TEs and Cruz. Pats doubled Cruz a lot and that opened things up for Nicks and Manningham on the outside. You look at other recent offenses that won and they were similar. Packers had all of their weapons, Steelers had Holmes, Hines Ward, and Heath Miller. Saints had all of their weapons.

Yes we have seen good defenses score points in the SB but you definitely need a good passing attack that the defense respects. Also, the Giants STs played a HUGE role in that safety in the 1st Qtr. You need all aspects of your team working for you. The 49ers and Ravens didnt get here mainly because of STs problems. Both had good defenses, but the offenses were inconsistent.