Frantic Fran gives props to Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Fran Tarkenton has no doubt that Johnny Manziel can play in the NFL
Glenn McGraw / Gamedayr
http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/sto...hat-johnny-manziel-can-play-in-the-nfl-031114

There have been no shortage of opinions regarding former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. From analysts saying they wouldn’t take him in the first three rounds, to legends of the game backing his abilities, Manziel has received his fair share of assessments.

The latest to speak on Johnny Football is NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton had the following to say to Jim Corbett of USA Today Sports:

He’s the closest thing I’ve seen to myself. Russell Wilson has some of it. But Manziel has those similarities even more so than Russell.

Manziel is a quarterback savant.

People are going to say, ‘Well, he’s only 5-11¾ tall.’ I wasn’t as big, strong and fast as all these other players. But I knew how to play.

What Manziel has is an instinctive vision. He did it against the toughest level of college football, twice the last two years against Nick Saban’s Alabama defense.

Tarkenton understands that Manziel will have to make adjustments in his game at the next level in order to limit injuries and maximize his potential:

Manziel is not going to be able to run as much at the next level. They had called running plays for him in college. He’s going to have to adjust.

I ran more than any other quarterback in my era by far — buying time for plays, had all these records for rushing. When I broke my leg my 17th season, I was in the pocket.

As far as Manziel’s off-the-field issues from the past year, Tarkenton is reserving judgement. He says that he’d have to spend some time with the Texas gunslinger in order to better understand him as a person:
The things that went on last year with him leaving the Manning camp and other activities, I just want to understand that a little better. Everything I’ve seen of the kid, I love. …

But you’ve got to make sure. Because there’s never been a great quarterback I know of who was a rodent.
I’d have to spend some time with him. What I’ve seen him do on the field, he has all the franchise qualities. You look at your great players, they have to be leaders in the clubhouse and off the field. They don’t have to be churchgoers. But they have to have character.

Whether NFL scouts share Tarkenton’s opinions remains to be seen. It won’t be long until all of these debates on Johnny Manziel have been answered.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Sounds as if Francis is still rather full of himself. I still hate him from watching Youngblood and Dryer chase his scrawny little arse around the backfield only to have him slip away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/116/-Inside-tidbits-on-Johnny-Manziel--26433782
3). Here's the shocker to some degree ... he asked Manziel what he would do in certain scenarios -- based on what the defense was showing. He said that Manziel answered each time, that he didn't know, couldn't answer the question ... and that he wasn't taught the nuances of the QB position A&M. "They just snapped me the ball and wanted me to make a play," was his general response when asked.

Reading this made me lose a lot of confidence in Manziel.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I mean no disrespect to anyone here but...

FUCK FRANCIS FUCKING TARKENTON!!! He can suck my anus.

Alan

Legend
You shouldn't be so reticent to express your opinion 503. Learn to let it all out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That fucker ruined my childhood more than once. But I'll try to better let you all know how I feel in the future.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Next time someone wants to post anything that jackwagon says, please post it in the color blue. Otherwise......

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How 'bout we just put Francis out on a field with Jack and tell him to run for his life? The difference being that Francis can't have home field advantage even though his team didn't deserve home field advantage. Can we see how THAT works out for the fucking POS? Sorry. I can't help but bring that up in my memory bank.

So I guess my ire isn't as much towards him as the NFL for making us go to their fucking frozen tundra even though we had earned the right to host in LA - so without that, he also is out in the first or second round so - FUCK FRAN TARKENTON! He would likely have been a nobody if not for that travesty.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's not talking about learning a playbook, he's talking about reading a defense. That's something you don't learn overnight, and starting in the NFL wouldn't be that easy lol.

I like Manziel btw.
That's fine. I got nuthin against Manziel. Tarken-fucking-ton however.....

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He's not talking about learning a playbook, he's talking about reading a defense. That's something you don't learn overnight, and starting in the NFL wouldn't be that easy lol.

I like Manziel btw.

Yeah... reading a defense takes experience as well as intellect. Johnny will be using his legs to make up for his shortcomings. Hopefully he doesn't get killed in the process.

tbux

Rookie
A few points- the NFL has drastically changed since Frans days- everyone is bigger, stronger and faster than back then. I think he sees himself if JM and essentially he is saying he would be able to thrive in today's NFL- that may or may not be the case- I tend to disagree that style will work. I respect his opinion- he is a legend, but doesn't mean he is right. It is such a different game today- and I personally don't think that will work.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Next time someone wants to post anything that jackwagon says, please post it in the color blue. Otherwise......
Deacon Jones said Tarkington was the QB he hated most. That says a lot
traih