Fox paying $550 million a year for Thursday Night Football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
And here I was foolishly hoping they would do away with TNF entirely for the good of the players. :palm:
*****************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/fox-abc-nbc-cbs-make-bids-for-tnf/

FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS make bids for TNF
Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2018

The NFL will soon be selling the rights to Thursday Night Football, at least for 2018 and possibly longer. And all four of the major broadcast networks have placed bids on the package.

Via Bloomberg.com, FOX has joined ABC and the two networks that split the package in 2016-17, CBS and NBC, in submitting bids for the Thursday night contract.

Per the report, FOX has submitted multiple proposals involving FOX and FS1; however, with the games already televised on NFL Network, it’s unlikely the league would place game content on anything but a three-letter broadcast network.

FOX’s interest is a bit of a surprise. In October, FOX CEO James Murdoch blamed the Sunday ratings drop on oversaturation arising in part from the Thursday broadcasts. The NFL tried to undermine Murdoch’s complaints by pointing out that FOX doesn’t participate in the Thursday night package.

Some bidders have proposed changes to the game, according to the report. Revisions include scheduling only teams that have had a bye the preceding Sunday, along with moving some of the games to other days of the week.

Under the broadcast antitrust exemption, the league can’t televise games on Fridays or Saturdays from early September through early December.

According to the report, CBS and NBC hope to pay less than the combined $450 million paid by the two networks in 2016 and 2017. The networks also have funded the production of the NFL Network-only games.

The league hopes to announce its decision regarding the TNF package either shortly before or shortly after the Super Bowl.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
We should be mindful of the NFL:
tumblr_m6rcy0mig91ro8ysbo1_400.gif

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don’t mind Thursday night football. But don’t make them play 4 days after a game was just played. They can schedule around that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thursday night football is fine, they need to have two bye weeks for teams, that will make the players happy, it won't make fantasy football participants happy, but that will add to the strategy I guess. I hope Fox gets the nod

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don’t mind Thursday night football. But don’t make them play 4 days after a game was just played. They can schedule around that.

Same, recommend two bye weeks if you want to promote player safety and quality games that time

Thursday night football is fine, they need to have two bye weeks for teams, that will make the players happy, it won't make fantasy football participants happy, but that will add to the strategy I guess. I hope Fox gets the nod

lol fuck fantasy football participants

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wait I thought the ratings drop was "alarming" yet 4 networks are trying to get TNF?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I love Thursday Night Football!

I need my mid-week fix sometimes. :D

Weird though.
You would figure that those big television stations would realize that the NFL is a dying sport.

They must not know what they are doing.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm more curious if the networks pay more or less than the last contract as this money will seriously impact future annual CAP raises for each team.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They are dropping but still high ratings compared to most TV.

They are actually the highest on traditional tv, which Foolio finally acknowledged that tv watching ain't the same as it used to be...and not because of all the political bs.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are dropping but still high ratings compared to most TV.

Not just high ratings, live sports are the most valuable ratings now. So many people time shift tv now, and when they do they often fast forward over at least some of the ads. But people want to watch their football live for the most part, which means they see the commercials, which means advertisers are willing to pay more for ad time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm more curious if the networks pay more or less than the last contract as this money will seriously impact future annual CAP raises for each team.

I wonder if the contracts will have $$$ tied to ratings performance..........it'll be interesting to find out what happens.

But people want to watch their football live for the most part, which means they see the commercials, which means advertisers are willing to pay more for ad time.

The same is true with the NBA, which is why the cap skyrocketed in that sport. People do want to see sports live as it happens you are 100% correct.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wait I thought the ratings drop was "alarming" yet 4 networks are trying to get TNF?
Same fucking thing I was thinking....Full of shit...Lying bastards...

Ratings are going in the dumps....but everyone wants Thursday nights? Straight bs

nighttrain

Legend
Same freaking thing I was thinking....Full of crap...Lying bastards...

Ratings are going in the dumps....but everyone wants Thursday nights? Straight bs
i really believe streaming of games was so good last season it made a huge difference, I saw every game
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing I'd say is... at least schedule some competitive games this year.

I may be wrong, but I think the only good game was Rams - SF