Four veterans bordering on indispensable

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/104323/four-veterans-bordering-on-indispensable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ispensable</a>
Four veterans bordering on indispensable
A recent radio conversation with John Clayton, Brock Huard and Danny O'Neil touched on tight end Zach Miller, a player the Seattle Seahawks would have a rough time replacing.

Miller isn't the best or most valuable player on the team. He doesn't play a glamor position such as quarterback or running back. But through a combination of his own talent, the way he fits on his team, his demonstrated reliability and the depth existing behind him, Miller appears especially important heading into training camp. Every team in the NFC West has players fitting the mold. We single out four of them here:

Miller, Seahawks: Miller has missed only three games in six NFL seasons and has never played fewer than 15 of 16. He caught eight passes for 142 yards in the Seahawks' divisional-round playoff defeat in Atlanta last season. The Seahawks once envisioned Miller and former starter John Carlson playing together. Rookie Luke Willson projects as the second tight end this season, but there's little chance he could provide the toughness and blocking Miller offers as a nearly every-down player. Another potential backup, Anthony McCoy, was lost to a torn Achilles tendon. The team signed former Falcons tight end Michael Palmer on Tuesday to fill out depth. Sean McGrath returns from last season and is also in the mix.

Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers thought they needed Boldin even before they lost leading receiver Michael Crabtree to a torn Achilles tendon. They really need him now. Boldin, like Miller, is a tough player and willing run blocker. He projects as the only proven, reliable and healthy wide receiver on the roster. The team plans to develop A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton and Ricardo Lockette without relying too heavily on any of them before they've proven themselves capable. Boldin has missed only four games over the past four seasons, impressive for an older player (32) with hard miles.

Karlos Dansby, Arizona Cardinals: Dansby last played for the Cardinals during the playoffs following the 2009 season. He was a reliable, productive linebacker for the Miami Dolphins over the past three seasons before rejoining Arizona this offseason. Top inside linebacker Daryl Washington will serve a four-game suspension to open the season, so the Cardinals need Dansby to help them get through that patch. They could also use Dansby to set an example for some of the younger players, including rookie linebacker Kevin Minter, a second-round choice.

Scott Wells, St. Louis Rams: Wells is a sleeper pick. The Rams would have to scramble if they lost other players, including James Laurinaitis and Cortland Finnegan. Wells, who missed nine games last season, hasn't been as reliable lately as the other players featured here. He deserves mention, however, because the team doesn't have another center ready to go. Robert Turner left in free agency. Rookie Barrett Jones isn't yet healthy and may need time to develop. Wells is the veteran center St. Louis acquired to lighten the pre-snap load for quarterback Sam Bradford. He's easy to overlook with so much focus on new left tackle Jake Long and all the speedy skill players St. Louis added. I'm just not sure what the Rams would do without him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I have to agree with your pick of Well. He sets the assignments for the line and thats not easy to do on the fly. Can't see Jones ready for that yet, even if healthy!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't my pick but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year. :lol:

Without Turner (who wasn't much) we would be in bad shape if Wells goes down early. I too think it will take Jones some time to get his shit together. Both mentally and physically.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, good call on Wells. The point is valid. He's without safety net... not to mention the oline really came together last year when he replaced Turner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
On an unrelated note; anyone else find it weird that A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton both "rumoured" to be on the Rams draft radar ended up in SF? :what:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram advancing conspiracy theories:
On an unrelated note; anyone else find it weird that A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton both "rumoured" to be on the Rams draft radar ended up in SF? :what:

I hope Patton turns out just as well for them as Jenkins has. :rofl: :hahaha: :bahaha:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram advancing conspiracy theories:

I hope Patton turns out just as well for them as Jenkins has. :rofl: :hahaha: :bahaha:

No doubt.

Just grabbed this quote from a recent 49'er article;

“ thought A.J. had his best week of football since he’s been a 49er the last four days of OTAs, which was the last week of OTAs, and he continues to build on that,” Harbaugh said, via Grant Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

That's like saying; he is horrible... but this week he elevated his game to bad.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/a-j-jenkins-starting-to-make-an-impression-with-49ers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-49ers/</a>

fearsomefour

Legend
I remember reading a quote from Vermeil that part of the reason he drafted Joe Germaine is that he was on the Whiners radar. Man, just gotta trust what your doing and not worry about the other teams.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
question. what other center do we have other than jones? this has me a little worried because jones will not be ready if wells goes down. im sure they have a plan but just wondering.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't sleep on Jenkins too quickly. With Crabtree out, I bet he moves the slot which will probably be a good fit for him

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Honestly maybe its just me but I think the kid from Alabama is going to do more than a admirable job replacing him

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Somewhere on an bus, on his way to the dome...Tim Barnes weeps...

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
JIMERAMS asked:
question. what other center do we have other than jones? this has me a little worried because jones will not be ready if wells goes down. im sure they have a plan but just wondering.

T. Barnes is our other center.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
albefree69 said:
JIMERAMS asked:

T. Barnes is our other center.

dang forgot about that guy :oops: thanks