Formula for Entry into the Hall of Fame

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, let me mention that yes, you can buy a ticket and enter the building that way, before wags like @den-the-coach do!

I was thinking that the primary consideration has been, "Can the story of the NFL be told without including XYZ player? That's a good measuring stick, but not enough precision. Jeff Hostettler and Trent Dilfer won Super Bowls, but I don't think either are HOF worthy. We know that Dan Marino was one of the best QB's ever, but he was a one-time Super Bowl loser, yet his consistent performance over his career was so excellent that he couldn't be kept from entering Canton.

There is also an era measurement. Fran Tarkington of the 60's and 70's was a helluva passer, but his numbers will be squashed by present day QB's. Isaac Bruce was one of the best WR's we ever had, but he wasn't a 1st ballot HOFer and Torry is still not one and they played on one of the most prolific offenses during their era. THEIR numbers will be dwarfed with longer seasons and prolific passing oriented offenses.

Unfortunately, positions are often excluded from the HOF. How long did it take Ray Guy to enter the HOF? I hated the Raiders, but I was in awe when he punted during his prime. I think Johnny Hekker had some great years in t Louis and LA, but HOF voters don't value the position that much. There are some returners who were great, but they rarely are considered.

Of course my question is partially directed at Matthew Stafford and Aaron Donald. I said after AD's first 5 years that he was a bona fide HOFer, but some disagreed because his career wasn't long enough. I countered with, "What about Gayle Sayers?" The story of the NFL couldn't then and certainly can't be now told without him in the Hall of Fame.

What about Stafford? His stats are really good, but he was on those losing Lions teams all of those years. He was a number one pick in the NFL draft, but was expected by a lot of haters out there to single handedly lift that franchise from the trash heap to the Super Bowl. Hell, they pointed to the pre-2021 fact that he had only lost in playoff games, without any context to that statement. But now in one year, Stafford elevated a good team to greatness, against much hate and opposition. Opposing fans were jealous about the Rams Super Team and they shit on Stafford the whole way. He and the Rams thumbed their collective noses at these people who are now kicking dirt, watch us lift the Lombardi high...

I think the NFL story can't be told without this season for Matthew Stafford. Period.

My formula, means over 50% means HOF worthy, but not guaranteed entry.

40% Super Bowl win
5% Addition for more than one SB appearance
40% Positional Greatness
15% Consistent Career

AD is almost 100% and a sure fire HOFer under this formula. ( would say that Matthew Stafford is at 70% and moving up every year. I would say that Kurt Warner was at 80%.

So what do you think of my percentages? Any additional categories? Post your ideas...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I can't argue with any of your points or percentages.

Staffords narrative will change after his second SB win. When he wins MVP after his third SB, there will be no haters left..... Even on here!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Apparently, being in the top twenty in rushing yards along with 3,500 plus receiving yards (and 78 total touchdowns) doesn't get you close. Also, apparently, six consecutive years with 1,300 + receiving yards along with respectable touchdowns doesn't get you in over some of the names I've seen. Yes, I'm talking about S-Jax and Holt, yes, I'm pretty fucking salty that S-Jax isn't even being considered, and yes, I'm even more salty that Holt didn't get in this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently, being in the top twenty in rushing yards along with 3,500 plus receiving yards (and 78 total touchdowns) doesn't get you close. Also, apparently, six consecutive years with 1,300 + receiving yards along with respectable touchdowns doesn't get you in over some of the names I've seen. Yes, I'm talking about S-Jax and Holt, yes, I'm pretty fucking salty that S-Jax isn't even being considered, and yes, I'm even more salty that Holt didn't get in this year.
Welp, Under my little formula, SJAX is at 55% and is HOF worthy, but some may value the playoff history more than I do. He borders on the edge of very good and great...

Torry should be a HOFer, but there is a backlog at the position.

Cigar?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Welp, Under my little formula, SJAX is at 55% and is HOF worthy, but some may value the playoff history more than I do. He borders on the edge of very good and great...

Torry should be a HOFer, but there is a backlog at the position.

Cigar?

He tips the scale to great because he produced with a shit offensive line and eight - sometimes nine - men in the box. There is absolutely no reason why Steven Jackson isn't a Hall of Famer; if he was on a better team, there'd be no doubt in anyone's mind.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I look at SJ’s situation similar to Archie Mannings or Gayle Sayers & Terrell Davis. Wether it be an injury or just and inept team. A HOF caliber player should not be hindered by it.

Manning has not been voted in but the other two along with Boselli have made it off of shortened careers.

SJ continually put up solid numbers in horrific offenses. I best guess is that the players committee will be the ones to get him in if it were to happen.