Former Titans tight end Jared Cook gets high praise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Written by John Glennon | The Tennessean
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130630/SPORTS01/306300073/2072/sports?nclick_check=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130 ... ck_check=1</a>

[tenn][/tenn]
Chuck Cecil postpones anniversary trip to play in Heimerdinger golf tourney:
Cecil, who is now the Rams' secondary coach, talks about returning to Nashville to play in the Drive4Dinger golf tournament

When Jeff Fisher and Cortland Finnegan last were wearing Titans colors, tight end Jared Cook was still a work in progress.

Then a second-year player, Cook was used somewhat sparingly in 2010, catching just 29 passes and scoring one touchdown.

But both Fisher and Finnegan believe that Cook, who left the Titans in March to sign a five-year, $35 million deal with St. Louis, is now a much different player.

“Absolutely — night and day difference,” said Finnegan, who competed against Cook in the Rams’ recent organized team activities and minicamp. “I’m going to be the first to say that I was maybe like, `Ahh ...’ (when the Rams signed Cook), but when he got there, he’s been tearing it up like I’ve never seen. He’s comfortable, he’s back where he wants to be and I’m excited to have him.”

Finnegan and Fisher were among the participants Saturday in the second annual Drive4Dinger celebrity golf tournament at the Vanderbilt Legends Club. Some of the others on hand included Washington coach Mike Shanahan; former Titans assistants Dave McGinnis, Chuck Cecil and Craig Johnson; Titans punter Brett Kern; former Titans players Kerry Collins and Brad Hopkins; and St. Louis middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

Held in memory of former Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, the event raised money for the Heimerdinger Foundation and Meals 2 Heal.

Finnegan said Cook, who averaged 47 catches for the Titans the past two seasons, now exudes a confidence he didn’t have in his early years.

“You know what? It’s a cliché word, but swagger,” Finnegan said of Cook. “I think he’s found it. Don’t tell him he has it, though, so no one will take it from him.”

Fisher was hesitant to use Cook in his early days, as Cook struggled at times in learning the passing game and with his blocking. But the second-year Rams coach sounded as if he has much more confidence in Cook now that he’s played four years.

“He’s obviously got years of experience under his belt, he understands the league, he understands defenses and he’s picked things up really well,” Fisher said. “We’re excited about creating mismatches, and offensive success these days is about creating mismatches.”

Just how do the Rams, who play the Titans on Nov. 3 this year, plan to utilize Cook?

“He’s going to play all over the place,” Fisher said. “We’ve even got him in the backfield, so we’ve got some good things for him.”

Fisher’s hope is that Cook will prove to be an important weapon for quarterback Sam Bradford and the Rams, who ranked 23rdin the league in offense and 25thin points last year.

“From a weapons standpoint, we were just a little bit deficient over the years, so we kind of targeted and earmarked the tight end position,” Fisher said. “We were really surprised that Jared was available, but once free agency started and he was available, we brought him up and it’s worked out really well for us. Cookie and (Bradford) are working along great. They’re spending the whole summer together, just like you would think.”

From there it was onto the golf course for Fisher and the other participants, as they celebrated the memory of Heimerdinger, who had quite a passion for the links.

“It’s a great thing, and there are some really good people showing up here and showing their support,” Cecil said. “What a great guy ’Dinger was, and this says a lot for him. It’s a great event, and I’m sure it will be strong for years to come.”

Reach John Glennon
at 615-259-8262 or jglennon@tennessean.com.