Former Ram Matt Bowen on 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/04/04182012161454.mp3[/rp3]

National Football Post writer, Matt Bowen.

(Was that you who blew up Trung Candidate in practice while in Washington?)
Yep. That was me. I was actually his roommate too.

(On the bounty situation)
I wrote a column on it for the Chicago Tribune. I was honest about it. He's the best coach I ever played for, and I still believe that, but he pushed the envelope a little bit. It was a tough article to write for sure. I had to make a decision. Am I an ex-player, or am I a journalist? The NFL brought the hammer down pretty hard. To see the HC get suspended? That's rough. It's gonna be a rough season for the Saints. No HC and no QB to start camp.

(is there a safety you like in this draft?)
I think there's a couple. Mark Barron. Harrison Smith from ND, and Markelle Martin from OSU. When you have a safety who runs a 4.5, if he's a smart player and takes good angles, he's going to look like a faster guy. This isn't a real deep class for safety though.

(On the difficulty NFL teams are having grading wide receivers)
Because of those soft defenses in college, WRs don't have to run a lot of press coverage. They run to a spot, turn around, and catch the ball. You see corners get up in your face, but when you get to the NFL, those are MEN outside at corner who can beat you to death at the LOS and disrupt the route.

(On Blackmon)
I like him a lot. He's a football player. He may not be the fastest or the biggest, but the NFL uses a lot of pre-snap movement to get guys free and get a favorable matchup. I think he's like an Anquan Boldin - strong and physical. McNutt is a good player too. Very productive in Iowa. He was a QB in high school. Made the transition. He's a high 4.5 guy, and I think of inside breaking routes, deep dig, skinny-posts with him. I give him a mid-round grade. Somebody can bring him in and work with him. The Rams have him in now.

(Did you do a mock?)
I don't do mocks. I get them all wrong. STL is in a great spot. The first 3 picks are locks. Luck, Griffin, Kalil. If you're STL, you have the possibilty of getting a Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd. Maybe Claiborne. The bottom line is the Rams are going to get an impact player who will start on opening day and produce.

(Any reason to think Luck won't have a very good season?)
They lost a lot of players. They're not a cover-2 defense anymore. Lots of changes. The best way to develop is to play though. You're not going to get any better on the scout team. On the scout team you're actually told to throw interceptions to work the DBs. How does that make you better?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That's some of my peoples right there.