Former Ram Clemens plans to enjoy reunion/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Former Ram Clemens plans to enjoy reunion
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7ab60345-c4b8-5367-9594-626cca3a6614.html

Kellen Clemens is looking forward to catching up with some old friends Sunday afternoon.

Clemens, the back-up quarterback in San Diego, played for the Rams from 2011 through 2013 and started the final nine games last season, going 4-5. Taking over after Sam Bradford suffered a knee injury, Clemens completed nearly 59 percent of his passes for 1,673 yards with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions.

“I had an absolute blast,’’ the 31-year-old Clemens told the Post-Dispatch earlier this week. “There are a lot of great people at Rams Park. Obviously, the focus is winning the game, but I’ll definitely make time for some handshakes and hugs before or after the game.’’

Clemens, a ninth-year pro, said he had some talks with the Rams before accepting a two-year, $3 million deal.

“It was too good to pass up,’’ Clemens said.

Playing behind Philip Rivers, who’s slated to make his 139th consecutive start Sunday, Clemens has seen action in just two games this season, completing one of three passes for 10 yards.

“I haven’t played a ton, but that’s OK. Philip’s the guy we want out there,’’ Clemens said. “He’s tough as nails. He’s helped me get acclimated and I think we’ve developed a good working relationship.’’

But, as Clemens pointed out, it’s taken some getting used to.

“When Sam got hurt last year, I was able be a little more assertive, to have more input in the game plan,’’ he explained. “But with a new team, you slide back into the back-up role. You kind of bite your tongue sometimes, trying to be respectful of the starter.

“It’s a really unique position, but it’s something I guess I’ve gotten the hang of.’’

Chargers coach Mike McCoy said the addition of Clemens has been a positive.

“He did an outstanding job of, number one, learning the system and understanding his role,’’ the coach said. “It’s always good when you have that other guy, that other type of voice that might look at things with a different perspective. It’s nice to have a veteran like Kellen, he’s doing a great job for us.’’

From long distance, Clemens is aware of the QB situation here.

“I think I’ve got the basics: From Sam to Shaun (Hill) to Austin (Davis) and now back to Shaun, right?’’ he kidded. “It’s another game — the X’s and O’s are the same — but because I’ll know so many faces on the opposite sideline, Sunday’s sure to be a little more personal.’’

MO STEPS UP

Inactive for seven of the Rams’ first 10 games this season, fourth-round draft pick and Eureka High product Maurice Alexander saw his most substantial action of the season on special teams Sunday and responded with a pair of big hits on open-field tackles.

On a kick return late in the third quarter, he took down Andre Caldwell at the Denver 10. Then, on a fourth-quarter punt return, he upended the Broncos’ Isaiah Burse for no gain at the Denver 17.

“On the kickoff, he made a great tackle, no hesitation, just shot the returner,’’ Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “Then we had him out there at gunner, where he hasn’t had as much training. ... He’s a fast, long, aggressive guy and he made another great play. Blocked really well in the return game, which went unseen, but not by the coaches. Hopefully there’s more to come with Maurice.’’

Alexander hopes so, too.

“It felt great. I’ve been waiting on my opportunity and was able to take advantage of it,’’ the 23-year-old safety from Utah State said. “This has been a learning process for me. I’ve just tried to be patient and focused on working hard each and every day. And I think the coaches noticed that.

“It was fun. There’s nothing better than making plays to help your team win.’’

INJURY REPORT

Four injured players — defensive tackle Alex Carrington (knee), wide receiver Damian Williams (hamstring), defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (groin) and cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle) — have been ruled out of Sunday’s game.

Tight ends Cory Harkey (quadriceps) and Jared Cook (back) are questionable. So is long snapper Jake McQuaide, who sat out Friday’s workout with a back issue.

Linebackers James Laurinaitis (foot), Will Herring (foot) and Daren Bates (groin) are probable. Guard Davin Joseph is also probable.

San Diego defensive tackle Ryan Carrethers (elbow) is out. Starting center Rich Ohrnberger (ankle, back) is questionable after missing his third consecutive practice Friday. Rivers is listed as probable.

Fisher said that defensive end Chris Long, coming off the injured reserve/designated to return list after ankle surgery following the season-opening loss to Minnesota, is not likely to play this week.

“There’s a chance (but) it’s probably unlikely at this point to make a roster move,’’ Fisher said. “He’s improving each day, so I’d think he’d have a pretty good chance (of returning) next week.”

TIME FOR A CHANGE

Veteran guard Davin Joseph showed up at practice earlier this week without the dreadlocks he has sported for 12 years.

“I honestly made the decision just last (Tuesday) night. I was like, ‘You know what, it’s just time for a change,’’’ said Joseph, who celebrates his 31st birthday today. “I’ve thought about it before, but not serious enough to actually do it.

“I’m excited about it. It’s something new.’’

Joseph, a ninth-year pro who received a game ball for his strong play in last week’s 22-7 victory over visiting Denver, said he was in high school the last time his hair was this short. He said trim took the hairdresser about two hours.

“She just snipped. Scissors and a comb and we got to work,’’ Joseph said. “I was told not to look until it was over.’’

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
So glad we kept Carrington instead of giving Sam a shot. He's done wonders for our d-line.

Very interested in seeing more from Mo. Kid can lay the wood. Who would have predicted safety as a deep position for us when the season started.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So glad we kept Carrington instead of giving Sam a shot. He's done wonders for our d-line.
I don't think it was Carrington's presence that resulted in cutting Sam. Part of the reason Sam was cut was that we had a shortage at DT and Sam couldn't play that, whereas Carrington is one.

Westbrooks was the main player chosen over Sam.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think Carrington never fully recovered from that quad injury, because he was a much better player in Buffalo.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
My younger brother went to high school with Mo Alexander...they were on the wrestling team together and the same weight class. My brother said they had to practice against each other all the time.

He also said he beat him his share of times...but now says there is no way he'd want to now! haha

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would love Kellen Clemens to play most of the game tomorrow.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think it was Carrington's presence that resulted in cutting Sam. Part of the reason Sam was cut was that we had a shortage at DT and Sam couldn't play that, whereas Carrington is one.

Westbrooks was the main player chosen over Sam.

He's been quiet this season hasn't he.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Very interested in seeing more from Mo. Kid can lay the wood. Who would have predicted safety as a deep position for us when the season started.
Fisher and Snead, Williams maybe!!;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure watching Rivers get pounded and not himself will be very enjoyable.