Former NFL player estimates he sustained 2,500 concussions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/ho...ummer-estimates-he-sustained-2500-concussions

Former 49ers LB Plummer estimates he sustained 2,500 concussions
By Matt Maiocco

plummer-gary-autographs-kezar.jpg

The turning point for Gary Plummer came after his former teammate and friend, Junior Seau, committed suicide in 2012.

Seau’s family was later informed the Hall of Famer’s brain showed abnormalities associated with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Seau’s death sent shockwaves through the NFL, and it had a chilling effect on Plummer.

“I knew I was having some issues, but like a typical NFL guy, you think you’re still invincible,” Plummer said on The 49ers Insider Podcast.

“After Junior, my wife said, ‘Dude, you got to do something; I don’t want you to be the next Junior Seau.’ ”

Plummer, now 58, sought help and was diagnosed with the early stages of dementia after a career that spanned 15 professional seasons, including three years with the Oakland Invaders of the USFL.

Plummer played his final four seasons with the 49ers. He was two weeks shy of his 38th birthday when he played his final game -- a loss to the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game in January 1998.

In addition to experiencing memory problems in his post-NFL life, Plummer said he suffered from headaches for approximately 12 years and had not been able to sleep well in 10 to 15 years. Moreover, he has experienced severe anxiety for the first time.

Plummer enacted some changes in his lifestyle, such as practicing yoga, meditation, learning to play a musical instrument and spending countless hours gardening in the backyard of his San Diego home.

“I’m close to 75-percent better now,” Plummer said. “I wish more players understand early onset dementia is something that happens to us from the CTE, from all the concussions. Basically, what it’s doing is aging our brains faster than normal. So all these things I had been going through were accelerated by what I came to know after my career, in terms of the definition of concussions.”

A Grade 1 concussion is considered “mild.” It might consist of a person “seeing stars,” brief confusion and no loss of consciousness. But it is still a concussion with a potentially devastating cumulative effect.

“If you’re not getting at least 10 of those a game, as a middle linebacker in the NFL, that means you didn’t play that day,” Plummer said. “I played 250 games. So (with) at least 10 a game, that’s 2,500 concussions.”

Over time, Plummer said working his brain in different ways and creating new mental challenges and stimuli have dramatically improved his quality of life.

“It was not overnight, by any stretch of the imagination,” Plummer said. “It was a long, slow process. But it wasn’t a long, slow, arduous process. It’s not like it was difficult to go to yoga. It’s not like it was difficult to go outside and listen to classical music while gardening.

“But I felt myself not only getting better at the time I was doing those things, but it then became the cumulative effect of, ‘Hey, there’ve been a few days where I didn’t have a headache.’ Or, ‘There’ve been a few days where I’ve been able to sleep through the night.’ And those were momentous occasions for me. It’s been amazing that I literally feel like a new man.”

Plummer said he believes what has worked for him can work for others, too.

“I encourage anyone that knows any professional football player out there to let them know, ‘Don’t be a victim,’ ” Plummer said. “If I can have 2,500 concussions and come back from it. Guys that played the average of three years, so maybe they had 150 concussions, you can come back from it.”

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And none of that takes into account the sub-concussive impacts which also contribute to CTE. Basically, any impact which moves the brain and causes capillary damage in the brain is going to contribute.

That's going to differ dramatically between players based on their individual genetics and intra-skull topography as well as the size and fit of the brain in the brain cavity.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Well then let's have another round of lawsuits.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wonder how many grade 1 concussions I sustained bumping my head on the hood of my first car? I was always under the hood of that old pile of junk. :cautious:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
2500, how can this cat remember anything?

If he received a concussion in every game he's played in since Pop Warner, and i'd calculate that at near 288 games total, ... i'm guessing he isn't remembering almost daily beatings by his wife, girlfriend and/or mother.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Firstly, it’s not silly.

Secondly, sorry @fanotodd, but I approach this using the actual science as well as someone with a brain injury suffered in the Navy.

The whole point of understanding CTE is that the science is increasingly pointing to the data which strongly suggests that it’s not only the fully concussive impacts which cause capillary damage in the inner brain, but also subconcussive impacts.

What we can’t quantify without data like the actual shape and size of a person’s brain as well as the inner topography of the skull is who and to what extent those subconcussive impacts will cause damage.

Some will experience little or even no damage. Others will experience significant trauma relative to the perhaps minor extent of the impact.

Lastly, as forensic pathologists are studying the brains of other former athletes from soccer players to boxers and others, we are getting a better understanding of what leads to CTE and well as where further study is required and what steps can be taken to mitigate the damage (it may be a function of mapping the brain and inner skull of potential athletes and “clearing” them to play or not, based on a number of factors known to influence or exacerbate neural trauma)

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
That's a lot of concussions. If you played 8 years in high school and college followed by a 15 year pro career, that's over 100 concussions a year.

That's more than one concussion per practice and game. I Definately believe that football collisions cause serious damage and feel for everyone effecfed but how could anyone suffer 2500 concissionss?

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
That's a lot of concussions. If you played 8 years in high school and college followed by a 15 year pro career, that's over 100 concussions a year.

That's more than one concussion per practice and game. I Definately believe that football collisions cause serious damage and feel for everyone effecfed but how could anyone sjfferr 2500 concissionss?
not possible, is what i think
train

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
not possible, is what i think
train

I don't think so either. I've raced motorcycles my entire life and had more concussions than I'd like. You don't sustain multiple REAL concussions in a day and keep competing. 10 concussions a game is a joke.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You are ALWAYS high.

Yeah, but 2500???

Yeah it is.

It’s possible that for someone with a suboptimal cranial structure, they could be incurring damage on every snap if they are an OL. That could be as many as 900+ Occurrence of Injury per year.

Are all or even most of those events concussions? Almost certainly not.

The point of understanding CTE is understanding what actually causes it and increasingly the data points to a greater and greater causality associated with subconcussive impacts.

As for 10 concussions per game, it may be a matter of language. Getting one’s bell rung is more likely to be a significant subconcussive impact.

It doesn’t matter if they all were or weren’t concussions. It matters if the events led to damage and with the ever increasing evidence of the role of subconcussive impacts in CTE, it’s moot.

We KNOW that between practice and games, lineman “hit their head” as many as 900 times a year. We just don’t know how much damage occurs. We do know that individual physiology bears heavily on that.

When they develop tools for evaluating athletes for predisposition as well as scanning for existing damage, we’ll know more and b3 able to have better discourse.

nighttrain

Legend
you dont think this player wouldnt have complained and gotten checked out?
i do
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Firstly, it’s not silly.

Secondly, sorry @fanotodd, but I approach this using the actual science as well as someone with a brain injury suffered in the Navy.

The whole point of understanding CTE is that the science is increasingly pointing to the data which strongly suggests that it’s not only the fully concussive impacts which cause capillary damage in the inner brain, but also subconcussive impacts.

What we can’t quantify without data like the actual shape and size of a person’s brain as well as the inner topography of the skull is who and to what extent those subconcussive impacts will cause damage.

Some will experience little or even no damage. Others will experience significant trauma relative to the perhaps minor extent of the impact.

Lastly, as forensic pathologists are studying the brains of other former athletes from soccer players to boxers and others, we are getting a better understanding of what leads to CTE and well as where further study is required and what steps can be taken to mitigate the damage (it may be a function of mapping the brain and inner skull of potential athletes and “clearing” them to play or not, based on a number of factors known to influence or exacerbate neural trauma)
If we are being rational here Mac, your brain injury was probably an accident which wasn't repeated? I have to think you were smart enough not to put yourself in that situation again, whatever it was....

I liked to skate board, and it was fun until I tried to ride over a garden hose...Of course I went flying as a 10 year old kid and broke both of my front teeth on a Sunday afternoon. We went to an emergency dentist who only took cash (there went my Dad's first bonus in a new job), but I was screaming because of exposed nerves that hurt with every breath and so we paid $200 in 1974 to fix my teeth. Does it surprise you to know that I never got on a skateboard again? I gave away the skateboard, and decided I never wanted to hurt like that twice. When I was 16 years old I smoked pot and noticed my concentration and focus were severely impaired, so I quit. It took 6 months before the fog was gone. I bring up both stories because I learned and stopped behaviors that caused pain on one hand and on the other reduced mental concentration and focus.

So if this guy endured 2500 concussions, which I am sure that he never mentioned during his playing days, he made a decision to do what he did. Certainly we know more about CTE now, but I know if after the first time I blacked out from a hit..especially after a few in a row...I know I would quit no matter the money. No matter if others called me a pussy-cat, and no amount of money would cause me to do something that made me feel that way. My stories are anecdotal, So anyone reading this, I am not getting into an argument about the pros/cons of marijuana...I just found a personal truth that you can accept or not. I am glad that he's trying things to improve his situation....But there is personal responsibility in this, even if CTE wasn't widely understood at the time.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If we are being rational here Mac, your brain injury was probably an accident which wasn't repeated? I have to think you were smart enough not to put yourself in that situation again, whatever it was....

I liked to skate board, and it was fun until I tried to ride over a garden hose...Of course I went flying as a 10 year old kid and broke both of my front teeth on a Sunday afternoon. We went to an emergency dentist who only took cash (there went my Dad's first bonus in a new job), but I was screaming because of exposed nerves that hurt with every breath and so we paid $200 in 1974 to fix my teeth. Does it surprise you to know that I never got on a skateboard again? I gave away the skateboard, and decided I never wanted to hurt like that twice. When I was 16 years old I smoked pot and noticed my concentration and focus were severely impaired, so I quit. It took 6 months before the fog was gone. I bring up both stories because I learned and stopped behaviors that caused pain on one hand and on the other reduced mental concentration and focus.

So if this guy endured 2500 concussions, which I am sure that he never mentioned during his playing days, he made a decision to do what he did. Certainly we know more about CTE now, but I know after the first time I blacked out after hit..especially after a few in a row...I know I would quit no matter the money. No matter if others called me a wuss-cat, but no amount of money would cause me to do something that made me feel that way. My stories are anecdotal, So anyone reading this, I am not getting into an argument about the pros/cons of marijuana...I just found a personal truth that you can accept or not. I am glad that he's trying things to improve his situation....But there is personal responsibility in this, even if CTE wasn't widely understood at the time.

For rational people, I agree.

People trying to get to or stay in the NFL aren’t rational when it comes to their safety.

How many concussed players have we seen try to keep playing just in the last few years WITH all the new CTE info?

I know when I was building my render farm, I put myself in jeopardy because I was so focused, I had to be reminded to eat. It all worked out okay (and I had one of the funniest and most humbling moments of my life in the process), but it could have been pretty bad.

Also, two things. Players still hide injuries. So why shouldn’t we expect that he hid any injury?

Secondly, I’ve been dealing with my injury since 1992. I still have moments where I learn either more about what I’m experiencing or how to better express it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Picked my ex-wife up from work one night in my VW bug. She worked at Kaiser hospital in Santa Clara, CA. As I got back in the car I banged my head. Saw stars and everything spun around. She took me back inside the hospital for a diagnosis: concussion. It doesn't take much apparently. Makes me wonder about all the other shots I took to the noggin since then.

Btw the doc told her to stay up all night and wake me up every two hours which she did. This was back during the early 70's. Hopefully medical science has improved greatly since then in both the ability to diagnose a concussion and to treat it.

Today's players have some foreknowledge of what might happen to them in the long run. This was not true though of football players from the past at all levels from high school, college, to the pros. At least to the level of knowledge we have now. This topic of concussions is so serious that it could very well ruin the game we all love.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MboxdG2EZA0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TrCZcsSyA8