Former Jets DL Dennis Byrd killed in car accident

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...is-byrd-killed-car-accident-article-1.2832085

byrdweb16s-1-web.jpg

New York Jets' Dennis Byrd and his family at their home.
(Wyke, Michael)
Daniel Popper
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, October 15, 2016, 9:34 PM
Former Jets defensive lineman Dennis Byrd was killed in a car crash Saturday on a state highway north of Claremore, Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol confirmed. He was 50.

Fox23 reports that Byrd was behind the wheel of a 2004 Hummer H2 when a 17-year-old male driving a 2000 Ford Explorer “traveled left of center” and struck Byrd’s vehicle.

Byrd was pronounced dead on the scene. The teen and a 12-year-old passenger in Byrd’s car were taken to the hospital for injuries, according to Fox23.

Byrd was born in Oklahoma City and played four seasons with the Jets after playing college ball for the University of Tulsa. On Nov. 29, 1992, Byrd suffered a spinal injury after colliding with a teammate during a game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The broken vertebra in his neck left Byrd paralyzed from the waist down for a brief time. However, he eventually was able to walk again after physical therapy.

The Jets retired Byrd’s No. 90 jersey during a ceremony in October of 2012.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Claremore is about 20 miles northeast of where I am in Tulsa. Went to college there. There's hardly anyone on the highways ever, so it makes this even more of a shock.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Makes one wonder if the teen was texting while driving...

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
This has been a horrible day. First Quenton Groves and now Dennis Byrd.

Such a shame that they died so young........

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Claremore is about 20 miles northeast of where I am in Tulsa. Went to college there. There's hardly anyone on the highways ever, so it makes this even more of a shock.
My Dad lived in Clayton OK near Sardis Lake for about 10 years. Love your neck of the woods.
Very little traffic anywhere from what I saw on my visits.
So sorry for this tragedy.