Former GM Charley Casserly identifies Browns as mystery 'No. 1 pick for Bradford' team EAGLES NFL P

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
http://www.phillyvoice.com/charley-casserly
BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
PhillyVoice Staff
According to both Chip Kelly and Rams head coach Jeff Fisher, there's some team out there willing to give up a first round pick for Sam Bradford. Both coaches have gone out of their way to tell you that.

"I was offered a first round pick for him this morning," said Kelly in an impromptu interview session the day after the Eagles traded for Bradford.

Fisher echoed those sentiments, via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com:

“There were some discussions, yes, but from our standpoint, the first-round pick — obviously it’s attractive, but you still don’t have a quarterback. It’s a late pick and then would we move up and get into position to draft one? It didn’t make sense to us,” Fisher said.
Maybe Kelly and Fisher are lying. Maybe not. When you look at the draft order, the one team that makes the most sense is the Cleveland Browns, who have multiple first round picks at 12 (their own pick) and 19 (acquired from Buffalo). The 19th overall pick would of course be the "late pick" pick Fisher referred to.

Nobody has come out and definitively reported that it was the Browns (if anyone). However, former NFL general manager and current NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly said that he was hearing that the Browns did indeed offer one of their first round picks while appearing on the Michael Kay show on ESPN New York 98.7.

While discussing his mock draft, Casserly casually noted, "I'm looking at Cleveland, the information I have is that they offered a one for Sam Bradford, ok, so clearly they're aggressive in trying to get a quarterback. They've got two one's. (They) can't be sold on what (they've) got. I think they'll be aggressive in the draft."

So there you go -- It was the Browns. Unless everyone is lying.

Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski

-browns-eagles-rams-1st-round-pick/

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think the gbn report called this a couple of days ago.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Isn't the Browns the same team that said they offered us a better deal for RGIII? If I were the Browns, I would start to get a complex with anything to do with the Rams.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
And to think many said Sam had no value. :rolleyes:
I damn sure didn't think he'd fetch a 1, still can't believe that one. Just shows you how glad we should be that we have Foles because the market must be a muthatrucka out there:whistle:

paceram

Pro Bowler
I damn sure didn't think he'd fetch a 1, still can't believe that one. Just shows you how glad we should be that we have Foles because the market must be a muthatrucka out there:whistle:

Between his Health Issues and his Salary Cap I honestly thought the Rams would have a very difficult time finding a good trade out there! Shows you how much I know (Very Little!)!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

QBs man, you gotta have one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The only way it would make sense to accept just a straight up 19 pick for Sam is if you had a deal already in place with the second team in the draft to trade your two firsts and if you thought both Mariotta and Winston could be your next franchise QB.

I read that Winston has been at the Tampa facilities and Mariota has been to Tennessee. It sounds like they are counting on drafting the two QBs. I know I would if I was either of them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
And to think many said Sam had no value. :rolleyes:
But mad credit to a lot of posters on this board, who turned themselves in, so cheers to that, and cheers to Snead for pulling another rabbit out of his perfectly coiffed, golden hair.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry the Cleveland Browns don't count. For the life of me I cannot figure that organization and Jimmy Haslam stated that he selected QB Johnny Manziel because when walking the streets of Cleveland some guy came up to him and told him "We need Johnny Football."

I realize the Haslam came from money, but my God he needs to start letting his football people do their jobs and obviously he needs to stop walking the streets too.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Sorry the Cleveland Browns don't count. For the life of me I cannot figure that organization and Jimmy Haslam stated that he selected QB Johnny Manziel because when walking the streets of Cleveland some guy came up to him and told him "We need Johnny Football."

I realize the Haslam came from money, but my God he needs to start letting his football people do their jobs and obviously he needs to stop walking the streets too.
Ha ha. And quit defrauding truck drivers.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Exactly. You only need one trade partner, not 31.

And that's why I'll believe the Browns when they actually pull the trigger on a deal. Mike Holmgren when he ran the Browns stated he offered more than the Redskins did back in 2010 only to prove that the offer never truly existed. Again the Browns don't count because there have a history of stating they offered more. If there were multiple offers than fine, but I just feel the Browns are always the woman that needs attention.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The only way it would make sense to accept just a straight up 19 pick for Sam is if you had a deal already in place with the second team in the draft to trade your two firsts and if you thought both Mariotta and Winston could be your next franchise QB.

I read that Winston has been at the Tampa facilities and Mariota has been to Tennessee. It sounds like they are counting on drafting the two QBs. I know I would if I was either of them.

I thought only the team with the 1st pick was allowed to talk to players in the draft...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that is only for contract negotiations. Maybe they are just making sure they before they field trade offers. But he passes all of the personality, character and football tests. I know some like to think that they are happy with Mettenberger, but how does anyone believe that Tennessee wants Mettenberger over Mariota? They could trade Zach, or keep him as a very good backup. He wasnt a first round pick. Didn't they take him in round 3 or 4 last year?