Former coaches doubt Bears can win with Jay Cutler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bea...r-coaches-doubt-bears-can-win-with-jay-cutler

Former coaches doubt Bears can win with Jay Cutler
March, 3, 2015

By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler signed a seven-year $126.7 million extension last January.

At least 10 former Chicago Bears staffers from the Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman regimes said recently they believe the team can't consistently compete for championships as long as it fields a lineup with Jay Cutler under center.

That sentiment might explain why head coach John Fox and general manager Ryan Pace remain uncommitted to Cutler as the team's starting quarterback for 2015. Deciding whether to commit to Cutler has a time element. If Cutler is on the Bears' roster on March 12, $10 million of his 2016 salary is guaranteed.

Cutler declined comment through a team spokesman. His agent, Bus Cook, said questions about whether the Bears feel they can win with Cutler should be directed to the team.

Two teammates, who also asked to remain anonymous for this story, characterized Cutler as a divisive figure with whom they'd rather not continue to play.

In six years with the Bears, Cutler has gone through four offensive coordinators, two head coaches and a pair of general managers. Yet Cutler remains very much in play as the team's potential long-term solution at the position, in part, because of the seven-year, $126.7 million extension the quarterback signed in January 2014.

One more former staffer said the Bears could win with Cutler as long as the coaches handcuff him to the system.

"I don't think there's any question that there's ability and talent there," new Bears coach John Fox said recently of Cutler. "[But] there's a lot more that goes into it, and we're evaluating that as we speak."

But that's precisely what the staff did when Mike Martz served as offensive coordinator during the 2010 and '11 seasons, according to another former coach, and Cutler and Martz were often at odds.

Although Smith let Martz go after the 2011 season, there's no denying Cutler played some of his best football as a Bear during a six-game span that year in which he completed 60.7 percent of his throws for 1,359 yards and eight touchdowns with three interceptions for a passer rating of 91.3. Cutler led the Bears to a 5-1 record during that stretch before breaking his right thumb in a Nov. 20 win over the San Diego Chargers.

“We're going to take our time on this,” Pace said recently. “We really have until mid-March. We're going to maximize that time and make thorough decisions through this whole process.”

But video evaluation of Cutler may not prove as beneficial as speaking with teammates and perhaps his former coaches. Remember, Pace worked with former Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer in New Orleans, and it would come as a surprise if the new GM didn't pick Kromer's brain about Cutler. Kromer is the same coach who apologized during a team meeting for admitting he was an anonymous source in a story that characterized the Bears as harboring buyer's remorse for signing Cutler to the long-term contract. When the Bears cleaned house in December before Pace came on board, Kromer's contract was the only one terminated of all the assistants remaining on the staff.

“I don't think there's any question that there's ability and talent there,” Fox said recently of Cutler. “[But] there's a lot more that goes into it, and we're evaluating that as we speak.”

Despite Pace's and Fox's refusal to commit to Cutler publicly as the starter, it appears -- based on the staff they've set up -- the Bears are prepared to give the quarterback one last shot. The Bears hired two pro-Cutler coaches in offensive coordinator Adam Gase and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains.

According to multiple sources, Cutler started to grow close to Gase after spending time with the former Broncos offensive coordinator at the wedding of former Bears quarterbacks coach Shane Day, a disciple of Martz. Cutler has wanted to work with Gase for a while, the sources said. Martz tried to hire Gase in 2010 as Chicago's quarterbacks coach, but Denver wouldn't allow him out of his contract, which led to the hiring of Day.

[+] EnlargeJay Cutler
AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh
Jay Cutler completed 66 percent of his passes last season and threw for 3,812 with 28 touchdowns and 18 interceptions on a Bears' team that finished 5-11.
Back in 2012, Cutler wanted Smith to hire Loggains, but he wasn't allowed out of his contract with the Tennessee Titans. Cutler and Loggains have a close personal relationship, according to a sources, and both the quarterback and coach have wanted to work with one another for quite some time.

It's unknown how Cutler and the new staff will get along if he's still on the roster in 2015, and one former coach said he believes it's time the organization stops catering to the quarterback until he delivers a return on the club's investment.

One staffer said that while Cutler was injured and Josh McCown was flourishing as the replacement in 2013, there was a significant faction in the locker room that believed the latter should've remained the starter. Another coach said that fairly early in the 2014 season, it was apparent the team had made two mistakes: (1) not re-signing McCown, and (2) continuing to stand behind Cutler after it was clear he was not going to consistently operate within the confines of Trestman's offense.

That same coach said he believed McCown gave the Bears a better chance to win than Cutler because he simply executed the scheme the way he was asked, without freelancing.

Pace and Fox met with McCown during the NFL combine, but there will be no reunion as McCown signed with the Cleveland Browns.

Some may view the disparaging remarks from Cutler's former coaches as sour grapes on the part of scorned staffers. Nobody on the current staff has told Cutler he's on the way out or that his tenure in Chicago is in jeopardy.

But every one of the former staffers interviewed from the Smith and Trestman regimes pointed out similar flaws in the quarterback. Two “R” words -- “renegade” and “rogue” -- were often used by the former staffers when asked about Cutler's ability to play within the confines of an offensive system.

They all also questioned Cutler's leadership abilities. One former staffer said McCown was the offense's leader in the locker room during his final season in Chicago, adding that for Cutler “it's just not him” to embrace such a role. The staffer said that Cutler doesn't have to be a leader for the team to succeed.

But it's difficult to ignore that the most successful teams in the NFL have strong leadership at the quarterback position.

"There's a lot of things outside of the building that I think are maybe a little misunderstood. When you get to know somebody, things are different when you get to talk face to face. So yeah, that's going on,” Pace said. “I know he's a very talented player, and again it's just getting to know him as a person and kind of how he ticks.”

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Anonymous sources should be outted - if you have the balls to say it have the balls to own it.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anonymous sources should be outted - if you have the balls to say it have the balls to own it.

Kind of a lack of understanding on your part. The sources are not calling writers to bag on Cutler. Writers are trying to get their readers good information, but coaches are not going to offer their views for that reason. Also, some coaches (Spags was one) that don't want their assistants talking to the media. But anyway, if you don't want anonymous sources then you don't want coaches unvarnished views. If you don't want that you don't want the best information possible.

Yes, there can be a danger that a source has an ax to grind but usually, they will give their opinions if kept of the record. For years PFW had it's "whispers" section. It had a lot of good information . .. but it was always on condition of anonymity.

Has nothing to do with "balls". What's your name KY Ram?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Kind of a lack of understanding on your part.

Yes, there can be a danger that a source has an ax to grind but usually, they will give their opinions if kept of the record. For years PFW had it's "whispers" section. It had a lot of good information . .. but it was always on condition of anonymity.

Has nothing to do with "balls". What's your name KY Ram?
Let's get ready to rummmmbbblllleeee!!!!
:party:
Here's what I understand, no one is forcing these guys to provide information, they are offering it and in my opinion the fact that someone has contacted them doesn't impact that decision whatsoever- they are still offering it.
If they are concerned about a head coaches rules against talking to the media, how about they follow the damn rules?
If you or anyone else who is a professional coach is going to criticize one of their players publicly, then I think you owe it to that player to put your name on it so that they can respond to their critic. Hiding behind a condition of anonymity is a lack of balls in my opinion, your opinion differs and that's fine with me.
My name is Chris by the way.(n)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Let's get ready to rummmmbbblllleeee!!!!
:party:
Here's what I understand, no one is forcing these guys to provide information, they are offering it and in my opinion the fact that someone has contacted them doesn't impact that decision whatsoever- they are still offering it.
If they are concerned about a head coaches rules against talking to the media, how about they follow the damn rules?
If you or anyone else who is a professional coach is going to criticize one of their players publicly, then I think you owe it to that player to put your name on it so that they can respond to their critic. Hiding behind a condition of anonymity is a lack of balls in my opinion, your opinion differs and that's fine with me.
My name is Chris by the way.(n)

In my opinion bringing balls into this, or courage understates the complexity of the issue. It's really nothing more than name-calling. And innaccurate name-calling at that. Maybe Cutler is the one who lacks balls. Maybe had Cutler played within the offense and not freelanced some of those coaches would still be coaching him. maybe they are fed up with Cutler and his c0ach-killing and think the fans, who foot the bills, deserve the truth, that Cutler hurts the product the Bears have been selling.

I do know that anonymous sources are part of legit journalism. And going off the record has nothing to do with balls and it's on the feeble-minded side to think it does. That's just my opinion.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
In my opinion bringing balls into this, or courage understates the complexity of the issue. It's really nothing more than name-calling. And innaccurate name-calling at that. Maybe Cutler is the one who lacks balls. Maybe had Cutler played within the offense and not freelanced some of those coaches would still be coaching him. maybe they are fed up with Cutler and his c0ach-killing and think the fans, who foot the bills, deserve the truth, that Cutler hurts the product the Bears have been selling.

I do know that anonymous sources are part of legit journalism. And going off the record has nothing to do with balls and it's on the feeble-minded side to think it does. That's just my opinion.
My sources tell me you're full of it:eek:
Seriously though, if I take balls out of my argument it doesn't materially change the point I'm trying to make. So I remove any previous challenges to the testicular fortitude of any sources.

I think if you are a professional that wants to criticize another professional, especially one who is or was part of the same organization you are a part of then you should put your name on those criticisms. That person should be allowed to face their critic, that's just my opinion.
Furthermore I think that although some of these sources may be making simple statements in response to questions asked, some of these sources also wouldn't dare make these statements unless they could hide in anonymity.
Take for instance all the supposed NFL personnel that had issues with Michael Sam being a part of their locker rooms. To me my perception of those individuals is that they were not willing to stand behind their statements and defend them, so they said what they wanted anonymously so Michael had no one specific to respond to. Tony Dungy came out and at least put his name on his beliefs, but then he backpedalled like a mofo when he was challenged for his statements in the media. Without having to answer for those statements then life goes on and a player is dealing with an opinion from some unknown source. Since Tony put his name on it he was crucified in the media for the hypocrisy of saying he wouldn't want the locker room distraction just a few years removed from championing a second chance for Michael Vick.
That to me is the reason I think these anonymous sources don't hold a lot of weight.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
My sources tell me you're full of it:eek:
Seriously though, if I take balls out of my argument it doesn't materially change the point I'm trying to make. So I remove any previous challenges to the testicular fortitude of any sources.

I think if you are a professional that wants to criticize another professional, especially one who is or was part of the same organization you are a part of then you should put your name on those criticisms. That person should be allowed to face their critic, that's just my opinion.
Furthermore I think that although some of these sources may be making simple statements in response to questions asked, some of these sources also wouldn't dare make these statements unless they could hide in anonymity.
Take for instance all the supposed NFL personnel that had issues with Michael Sam being a part of their locker rooms. To me my perception of those individuals is that they were not willing to stand behind their statements and defend them, so they said what they wanted anonymously so Michael had no one specific to respond to. Tony Dungy came out and at least put his name on his beliefs, but then he backpedalled like a mofo when he was challenged for his statements in the media. Without having to answer for those statements then life goes on and a player is dealing with an opinion from some unknown source. Since Tony put his name on it he was crucified in the media for the hypocrisy of saying he wouldn't want the locker room distraction just a few years removed from championing a second chance for Michael Vick.
That to me is the reason I think these anonymous sources don't hold a lot of weight.

balls, courage, etc . . no matter the word you use, you are calling those sources 'cowards'.

Maybe you are not in a position to call them cowards, or that they lack courage or 'balls'. I don't care what specific word you use, I took it to mean they are somehow flawed because they didn't give their name.

Maybe others are tired of fans who demand more and more information about a sport, then turning around and criticizing those who give us a glimpse into the lockerroom.

I happen to like following the NFL and if it means reading articles that have anonymous sources, fine by me. I've learned things about Cutler I didn't know. That feeds my NFL fix. But I wouldn't call those coaches cowards, either. Maybe you can find some NFL coach, ask him if he's ever been an anonymous source, then call him a coward to his face.

…..

Legend
I'm not even a coach and even I dont think the Bears can win with Cutler lol