Forget the running game, this is a pass blocking O line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
ChrisW said:
Stranger said:
I realize you don't have all the answers, and I wasn't really trying to put you on the spot. I was just trying to point out that we hear these things, like RB-by-committee, from the Rams organization and have just accepted them. I'm trying to go back and question the initial premise, and to see if all of these moves were indeed consistent with the schemes being play.

My goal is to understand: (1) whether there were mere miscalculations, where these miscalculations lie, the scale of these miscalculations, OR (2) whether we were just flat-out deceived. It's clear that they didn't put the right player-pieces in place to run the scheme that we were told they were planning to run.

I want to get to the bottom of this. And no one else is replaying all the off-season moves made to see if they add-up and actually support the stated strategic goals. So, either the stated strategic goals were bogus or the player moves did not support them. If it's the latter, then I simply don't see how such an egregious strategic error can be repaired by the same people who made the miscalculations in the first place.

So in Air Coryel, you can look to the Chargers for a good example. They have a good RB in Matthews, which allows them to set everything up to attack with the pass. Matthews also has the ability to catch out of the backfield.

Another big part of the AC is to have an athletic pass catching TE, which of course they have one of the best in Gates.

You also need two fast outside WRs to strike deep at any point in the game.

They also have a smart QB in Rivers.

It's also stated that you're better off with Mauler guards and pass blocking Tackles. So there lies our problem with trying to run the ball. We don't have good enough guards to pull off any kind of consistent running between the tackles.

It seems the only real problem we have is our guard play. I'm confident that Pead and Richardson could get the job done with help from the run blocking.

I'm staying on the O-line bandwagon for this coming offseason.
So, if I'm reading and understanding you correctly, it appears you're saying that they made all of the right moves to implement an AC offensive scheme with the exception of acquiring "Mauler guards". Is that right?

And if that is indeed the case, when (this season) have we actually tried to run the AC offensive scheme. I'm no Dr. Ram, but I watched Coryell's Chargers back in the day and I certainly haven't seen anything that looks like that in our offensive this season. So, did we ever actually try to run Air Coryell this season?

Additionally, was it not a huge risk letting SJ go if in fact the key element to run a successful AC scheme was to have a strong run game that "allows them to set everything up to attack with the pass"? It seems to me that D's knowing SJ is in the backfield, even with weaker guard play, would help the AC offense? If I'm right, then that seems like it was an unnecessary risk to take (I was never a fan of letting SJ walk, by the way).

By the way, I've run into Dan Foutts a few times at a local Italian restaurant, but never had the juevos to go up and say hi. :)