Forget about an identity...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams need a mentality. They need to go into a game with the mentality that nobody is better. Each and every one of those players needs their own mentality and it's up to them to execute and make it happen. Just like Givens said to himself in the video Username posted. He told himself there was nobody better. Tavon Austin needs to tell himself that there's nobody faster or quicker. Jared Cook needs to tell himself that even if they double him, he'll win every battle. Bradford needs to tell himself that nobody will intercept him no matter where he throws the ball. The O-line needs to tell themselves that nobody will get past them. Pead (or whoever) needs to tell themselves that they're taking a couple to the house and won't go down on first contact.

And the defense too. Whatever their individual assignments are, they each need to say, "Fuck it. I trust everyone else to do their jobs, so I'm not gonna try to do theirs too. I'll just punch people in the mouth today." Nobody will get past me, nobody will stop me, nobody can contain me.

If their mentality is to execute and play disciplined, then that's not enough. That's playing to limit mistakes and playing to stay out of the dog house. I mean, that's a good component, but it shouldn't be their mentality. If you wanna be the best, then you have to believe you are.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bouncyhelmet_zps67a277c4.gif

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I thought that was what Fisher and to a lesser extent Finnegan, were supposed to bring to the table. I agree with the concept X and the execution by our leaders has been underwhelming to say the least. How can we develop this new "mentality" without the support and direction of Fisher?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
I thought that was what Fisher and to a lesser extent Finnegan, were supposed to bring to the table. I agree with the concept X and the execution by our leaders has been underwhelming to say the least. How can we develop this new "mentality" without the support and direction of Fisher?
I don't doubt that there are pep talks and the likes. All coaches and veteran leaders do that. I'm talking about individual accountability and establishing individual mentalities. I don't know that Fisher *hasn't* given the team a group mentality either; but if he has, I haven't heard what that is. In one of Kurt Warner's interviews that were posted here, he talked about the mentality of the GSOT. Theirs was to put the defense on its heels and pressure them all day long because they believed nobody could stop them. In other words, attack, attack, attack.

X said:
albefree69 said:
I don't doubt that there are pep talks and the likes. All coaches and veteran leaders do that. I'm talking about individual accountability and establishing individual mentalities. I don't know that Fisher *hasn't* given the team a group mentality either; but if he has, I haven't heard what that is. In one of Kurt Warner's interviews that were posted here, he talked about the mentality of the GSOT. Theirs was to put the defense on its heels and pressure them all day long because they believed nobody could stop them. In other words, attack, attack, attack.

a boxer named cassius clay told himself he was "the greatest" and look where it got him...not saying he was the greatest heavyweight or boxer of all time, but i get your point, and i agree.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
The Rams need a mentality. They need to go into a game with the mentality that nobody is better. Each and every one of those players needs their own mentality and it's up to them to execute and make it happen. Just like Givens said to himself in the video Username posted. He told himself there was nobody better. Tavon Austin needs to tell himself that there's nobody faster or quicker. Jared Cook needs to tell himself that even if they double him, he'll win every battle. Bradford needs to tell himself that nobody will intercept him no matter where he throws the ball. The O-line needs to tell themselves that nobody will get past them. Pead (or whoever) needs to tell themselves that they're taking a couple to the house and won't go down on first contact.

And the defense too. Whatever their individual assignments are, they each need to say, "Fuck it. I trust everyone else to do their jobs, so I'm not gonna try to do theirs too. I'll just punch people in the mouth today." Nobody will get past me, nobody will stop me, nobody can contain me.

If their mentality is to execute and play disciplined, then that's not enough. That's playing to limit mistakes and playing to stay out of the dog house. I mean, that's a good component, but it shouldn't be their mentality. If you wanna be the best, then you have to believe you are.
Did losing Rob Ryan hurt of more than we realized?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Stranger said:
X said:

One of the things very high on my wish list in the last offseason was getting a big time DC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stranger said:
I think it did. He and Blake weren't afraid to dial up blitzes. The problem was getting torched deep on occasion, but people seem to hate giving away small chunks of yards more than that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stranger said:
X said:

That could be a part of it........and I think another part is Long not being 100% right now. He get some heat from some posters on the webernet but he really is the star of that DL and makes a big difference, so not being his normal self has contributed to the problem IMO.

…..

Legend
whatever the reasoning, whatever the need...it should have already been taken care of!

3 games into the season is NOT a good time to get a great idea.

I'm still very embarrassed over the teams play, and will be embarrassed until something good happens....REPETATIVELY

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm not going to start talking about any changes I think are in order until we've played 6 games ,if we are 3-3 I'll figure we are on schedule .
It would have been great to be 3-0 or 2-1 right now , the youngest team in the league having the best record this early in the season is beyond reasonable.
For now my view is of a very young team trying to gel, thankfully we aren't a veteran team that is 0-3 like the Giants.
IMA sit back and wait for a while before I start hitting the panic button.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
I think we just need to beat somebody up!

Sometimes it's as simple as this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
jap said:
I think we just need to beat somebody up!

Sometimes it's as simple as this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
I agree and San Fran would be an excellent one to start with

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Set the fuckin premise on our first offensive possession!

Make your mark!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2