For Warner, Spygate Still Haunts The Pats Sb Win Over The Rams –video

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I hate that Super Bowl so fucking much... I've been called a sore loser because of my anguish for the Patriots after that game, but I honestly don't feel like that is what I am, when it is your team that gets the shaft of the NFL.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate that Super Bowl so freaking much... I've been called a sore loser because of my anguish for the Patriots after that game, but I honestly don't feel like that is what I am, when it is your team that gets the shaft of the NFL.

Agreed. It just sucks to be the losing team in a Super Bowl that feels "tainted" because we never got the full story on the specifics of Spygate and those tapes. If there was nothing to hide, then why destroy the tapes before showing them to the public?

PhxRam

[parsehtml]<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/FZZQDC/patriots/embed/select/d8c0Lf_GZ6Sa" width="500" height="250" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>[/parsehtml]

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Agreed. It just sucks to be the losing team in a Super Bowl that feels "tainted" because we never got the full story on the specifics of Spygate and those tapes. If there was nothing to hide, then why destroy the tapes before showing them to the public?
Lolol, this is what i posted on facebook before I saw your post.
Kurt on the SB loss to the Pats, I'm not the only one that feels like Kurt and Marshall.
Tainted..
Nice choice of words! :bigup:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's been over a decade ago and it still feels like last month. I'll never get over any of it...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Every year this subject comes up ... and the outrage I felt--as that FG went through the uprights AND the last 2 seconds were allowed to tick off, even though the ball had already past through the uprights--comes back again. It was at that moment I realized how much assistance the Patriots had been given in that game, from the non-call intentional grounding on that FG drive, to the unavoidable fact that zero personal foul calls were made in the entire game. Think about what that implies. Bernie Kukar, the head zebra for that game, didn't protect Warner at all. Didn't protect any of the Rams that day, and the Patriot defense was on a mission to punish the offense.

And you know what? Roger Goodell was on Tagliabue's staff. Makes one wonder just what was on the Spygate tape. Did the Patriots offer up some truly damning evidence, daring Goodell to make it public when they knew he'd have no choice but to destroy it?

Anyone notice Warner's slip of the tongue? When he talked about the Patriot's efforts to slow down the GSOT, he used the words, "held us." :heh:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep.
The NFL should be imbarrassed.....it would if it had a commissioner worth a cat crap.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every year this subject comes up ... and the outrage I felt--as that FG went through the uprights AND the last 2 seconds were allowed to tick off, even though the ball had already past through the uprights--comes back again. It was at that moment I realized how much assistance the Patriots had been given in that game, from the non-call intentional grounding on that FG drive, to the unavoidable fact that zero personal foul calls were made in the entire game. Think about what that implies. Bernie Kukar, the head zebra for that game, didn't protect Warner at all. Didn't protect any of the Rams that day, and the Patriot defense was on a mission to punish the offense.

And you know what? Roger Goodell was on Tagliabue's staff. Makes one wonder just what was on the Spygate tape. Did the Patriots offer up some truly damning evidence, daring Goodell to make it public when they knew he'd have no choice but to destroy it?

Anyone notice Warner's slip of the tongue? When he talked about the Patriot's efforts to slow down the GSOT, he used the words, "held us." :heh:

Its easier to accept defeat when its fair and square, but when you take into account the things the Rams couldn't control like playing against the refs and a cheating team, its tough to swallow over a decade later. It just eats away at me any time I think of it. It was OUR dynasty (as Proehl said) that was supposed to begin that night. Instead the Brady & Bellichick reign began with some help from the zebras. And lets not forget the help the Pats got with the f'in tuck rule shit in the divisional round that year. You brought up some key plays; my short list is:

1. 2 seconds tick off after FG
2. Intentional grounding on final drive (Non call)
3. Redman (RB) is called out of bounds so clock stops @ 33 secs on final drive; although he's clearly in bounds
4. Constant mauling of WRs all game. Some say the rules were different 12 years ago, sure, but not to the extent they were letting the Pats get away with. Downfield PI on the first drive that was not called on Torry immediately comes to mind.
5. Pick 6 the Pats had was a helmet to helmet hit on Warner. No call

And I also want to emphasize that Warner, Faulk, etc. are classy guys, and they've all mentioned Spygate when asked about SB 36. Even they can't just gloss over the loss and say "we lost fair and square" because they didn't. This loss will forever haunt Ram fans.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it wasn't a slip of the tongue. he said they held them and punished them in tackles knowing it was the superbowl and the officials wouldn't throw flags.

that non grounding call and the tackled out of bounds call in the final drive still gnaw at me whenever the subject is brought up. it's like it happened yesterday.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I recall being so freaking proud of the team after their SB XIII loss to the Steelers. It's a huge diff knowing we lost fair & square but played our guts out.

Our loss to the Pats had to be orchestrated from the highest levels in that 9-11 season, otherwise Belicheat would have been banished for life. But I love that this fly-in-the-NFL's-soup does't go away and that their PR machine has to deal with it every year.

ram29jackson

Rookie
well..that game lead to todays rules changes and why I think the Colts torch the Seahawks.....I mean Broncos LOL

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
well..that game lead to todays rules changes and why I think the Colts torch the Seahawks.....I mean Broncos LOL
Not so much that game as the way the Pats mugged Marvin Harrison but yeah I think there is a good chance we see Richard Sherman finally get called for SOME of the clearly illegal shizzle he thrives on.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I heard Martz say just last year, that there were things about that game that were really creepy. Things that he would have to talk about off camera. So he knew it was fixed. And everyone blamed Martz for getting paranoid after that game, and closing the practices to the public. Maybe he just didn't want the other teams taping us and knowing our plays again?

A55VA6

Legend
That Super Bowl was complete bullshit. I was so pissed off especially when I heard about Spygate. My hate for the Patriots has been extremely high ever since.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I heard Martz say just last year, that there were things about that game that were really creepy. Things that he would have to talk about off camera. So he knew it was fixed. And everyone blamed Martz for getting paranoid after that game, and closing the practices to the public. Maybe he just didn't want the other teams taping us and knowing our plays again?
I would pay big money to have a private conversation about that game with Mike. I really hope I run into him someday.

About 9mos ago I posted a radio interview with a former Ram who played in that SB... now I forget who it was. But he was extremely articulate and very revealing about the weirdnesses of that game. I posted the interview somewhere on ROD. If I can find it I'll repost in this thread.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
For me the destruction of the spygate tapes is when I started to despise Goodell

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
If you've ever watched the SB36 replay on NFLN, you won't see Kukar spend 5 minutes trying to get the flag picked up on McGinest's holding call. Despite how obviously correct the call was. Btw, the only defensive holding call of the entire game.

Then there's this nugget I just discovered. Gee, I thought the referees for the Super Bowl were chosen long before the game. Certainly not just 4 days before the big game.
Bernie Kukar to referee Super Bowl
Jan. 31, 2002 at 5:07 PM

The NFL announced Thursday that Bernie Kukar will referee Super Bowl XXXVI Sunday, the second time in four years he has worked the league's title game.

Kukar was referee of Super Bowl XXXIII in Miami, where the Denver Broncos defeated the Atlanta Falcons. Kukar has also worked three conference championship games.

The rest of the Super Bowl crew will be made up of umpire Jeff Rice, head linesman Mark Hittner, line judge Ron Phares, field judge Pete Morelli, side judge Laird Hayes and back judge Scott Green. Among that group, the only one to have officiated in a Super Bowl has been Phares.

Kukar also worked this year's wild card playoff game between the Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers.
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2002/01/31/Bernie-Kukar-to-referee-Super-Bowl/UPI-83311012514864/

Sum1

Hall of Fame
As a fan I feel cheated. My team had what many to believe the greatest offense in history and were a few seconds away from a 2nd Super Bowl win in 3 years...which could have changed a lot of things going forward.

I feel cheated in that I was fortunate enough to go to that game. While watching my team lose would suck no matter what, the fact that it may be because the opponent cheated really bothers me. Not only is my personal investment disrespected but so is the financial investment. The amount of money spent to go to a game like that shouldn't be subjected to a WWE predetermined outcome.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If you've ever watched the SB36 replay on NFLN, you won't see Kukar spend 5 minutes trying to get the flag picked up on McGinest's holding call. Despite how obviously correct the call was. Btw, the only defensive holding call of the entire game.

Then there's this nugget I just discovered. Gee, I thought the referees for the Super Bowl were chosen long before the game. Certainly not just 4 days before the big game.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2002/01/31/Bernie-Kukar-to-referee-Super-Bowl/UPI-83311012514864/
Yeah, he was part of the "setup". Probably got a very nice payoff for "playing ball".

I'm curious to understand how much effort went into defeating the Rams that day. What was the scope of activities that were planned and implemented. We know about the Spygate tapes and about Kukar, but that has to be just the tip of the iceberg. If we've discovered those two "efforts", then you know there must have been much much more going on in order to swing that game.

Ultimately, the looming questions are:

WHO WANTED THE PATRIOTS TO WIN THAT DAY AND WHY WAS IT SO IMPORTANT TO THEM... AND WHO HAD THE POWER TO EXECUTE ON THAT MOTIVE?