For those "worried" or "concerned" about the 1s' performance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
On Cooper's drop, I somewhat disagree.
While it was a good hit by the DB, Cooper has to catch that pass and hang on.
If he wants to be an NFL WR, he has to hang on to that one.
I put 300% on the DB for a good hit and 70100% on Cooper for not hanging on to a pass that he should have.
fixed it bitious!(y)
All Cooper....he doesn't wanna get hit, don't put on a jersey:eek:....it's getting ridiculous....I bet SPRUCE :yay:woulda held it...Higbee too;)....and definitely my boy Quick:yess:....lol

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My point in all this brother is that you cannot discount everything about preseason. There are always trends that follow into the season. In '99 the difference in the passing game was profound and persisted right on into the regular season even with that unknown QB taking the helm.

Actually, I can b/c the Steve Spagnulo Rams in the preseason looked like world beaters. Dominating everyone. Yeah, no.

All I'm saying, yesterdays starting team wasn't really the starting team. And I for one am not worried about it.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
And yeah, vanilla - yada yada yada - heard that the last several years too and its not like we came out firing when the season started.
This is how I feel about our team. Even the first 2 games we won (half the games we won, lol), we looked sloppy. And the ONLY reason we beat the giants was because of a dumb decision by Eli to throw it away in the endzone. Granted, Tony did lead the team all the way down the field for a TD, but that shouldn't have had the chance to happen.

Garrett is the biggest bitch. Romo gets like every 3rd day off because they're afraid of injury. Qb's don't get hit in practices. Garrett gives vets days off. Nate Newton commented on how in the 90's not even family members were allowed to attend camp; they were too busy practicing. Now, its become a spectacle and just another way for Jerry to sell merchandise.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Cowboys played more starters and looked like the faster harder hitting defense. Too me that was just rookies fighting for a position on the team. The Rams defense is set. No need to risk injury on a meaningless game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 1s got worked over. We can if and shoulda all day long but the Rams 1s got their butts kicked all over the field.

Our 3s and 4s beat their 3s and 4s - but their 1s and 2s very clearly beat ours.

And yeah, vanilla - yada yada yada - heard that the last several years too and its not like we came out firing when the season started.

Sure, the Rams won - and frankly, I thought Goff looked pretty good - but this was not a very encouraging start if you ask me.

We went 0-4 in the preseason last year and then beat Seattle in the first game. Fisher always plays vanilla, crappy football in the preseason. It's not something that I love, but it's also not something worth getting worked up over. It's also worth pointing out that we went 2-2 over the first 4 games last year. All four games were against playoff teams.

So it's not like the strategy hurts us. In the end, the preseason doesn't matter.

Truth is that our defense is what it is. The real use of the preseason will be getting Goff, the offense, and the WRs/TEs up to speed. Let's get Goff ready to play Week 1. And let's get those drops and incorrect routes out now.

Goff + Gurley + our defense has the makings of a playoff team. Who cares what we do in the preseason? Let's stay healthy and prepare Goff to go Week 1.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree.
#2 Center looked good. Got push in the run game.
Brown was his usual flailing self in the ru game....he needs to improve before the start of the season or we need a new starting G.
Easley uses his hands well to get off his blocker.

Saw him at practice . He is probably the most powerful player on the team.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I agree.
#2 Center looked good. Got push in the run game.
Brown was his usual flailing self in the ru game....he needs to improve before the start of the season or we need a new starting G.
Jamon doesn't look good to me....really, I thought he would look better than last year. IN the run game, he looks the exact same....looks a lil lost, too. However, he has all the skills to be a great guard....I don't understand. I think the O line will be an avg line this year. Good enough for a play off team.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We went 0-4 in the preseason last year and then beat Seattle in the first game. Fisher always plays vanilla, crappy football in the preseason. It's not something that I love, but it's also not something worth getting worked up over. It's also worth pointing out that we went 2-2 over the first 4 games last year. All four games were against playoff teams.

So it's not like the strategy hurts us. In the end, the preseason doesn't matter.

Truth is that our defense is what it is. The real use of the preseason will be getting Goff, the offense, and the WRs/TEs up to speed. Let's get Goff ready to play Week 1. And let's get those drops and incorrect routes out now.

Goff + Gurley + our defense has the makings of a playoff team. Who cares what we do in the preseason? Let's stay healthy and prepare Goff to go Week 1.

Yes, we beat Seattle and we're lucky to do it - we very nearly fumbled that game away. We followed that up with horrible games against the Skins and Pitt.

The year before that (2014) we started 1-3 kicking off the season by getting embarrassed by Minn

The year before that one (2013) we also started 1-3.

Each of these years we had the vanilla preseason talk and each of these years we got off to slow starts. Now, the team hasn't been all that good the last several years - that's no secret - so we can't expect 4-0 starts looking back but we have been unquestionably slow starters under Fisher.

I don't care about the final score of a preseason game - I do care about how they look playing one. But I agree that staying healthy is more important than anything else.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
* RB Green the RB should be a person who is 'kept'....I know Brown is a good RB, but Green made play after play---for a rookie in his first game it looked pretty dang good.
*DE Seau: I know it was 3rd string, but he has quite a get off. I wonder if he could sneak on the red-shirt/injury program for next year.
*Joyner looks a lot better, to me, and he still is not a starting outisde corner in this league.
*Spruce- I really wonder if he can contribute over 16 games....he is hurt, from what? It didn't look like he should have been hurt. Love what he did. Intelligent....can beat a 4th corner, maybe, but not a top 3 corner from another team

fearsomefour

Legend
Jamon doesn't look good to me....really, I thought he would look better than last year. IN the run game, he looks the exact same....looks a lil lost, too. However, he has all the skills to be a great guard....I don't understand. I think the O line will be an avg line this year. Good enough for a play off team.
O line is not an easy transition from college to pro....not that any position is.
Having measurables is one thing.
He is athletic enough for sure. But, playing with confidence, you can't fake that. Being tentative, which is what I see in the run game when he gets into space and being able to execute things like hand placement at game speed....well he has improvements to make. If he is not better by the time Havenstein is back I replacing him with Reynolds or Saffold.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I think that J Brown would be better if playing at LOG, SteveBrown.

And Saffold would be slightly better at ROG, once Hav returns to the starting lineup.

It's only one preseason game, but GRob might be ready to have that vet LOG "training wheel" removed.

Then, we would have the best 5 starting at each's best position. What a concept!

As to Spruce, what more does he have to do to convince you that he can play in this league?

If Cooper doesn't get it together PDQ, we might just see Spruce as our starting slot WR. I'm serious.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's the same thing every preseason under Fisher. The first game is a glorified scrimmage and by the fourth, he's rolling out everything against teams resting their starters and we blow them out haha. I don't think we played anything other than a base cover-2 yesterday, and I didn't see Quinn, Donald, Brockers, etc dressed to play.

There were three blocks in the back on that opening kickoff. I have GamePass and I watched that play over and over. Cowboys should've started at the 10 yard line.

I'm really excited about our depth, though. We have a stable of running backs and I really, really hope Seau makes this team; I doubt we'll be able to stash him on the practice squad.
This. 2012 first pre season game was against the new rookie Andrew Luck. First play of the game was a short pass taken about 70 yards for the touchdown. We came out and lost against a very good Lions team.

2013: We got smacked by the Browns and Weeden went 10-13 for 112 yards and a touchdown. We were down 20-10 at halftime. Week 1 we beat the Cardinals 27-24.

2014: Lost to the Saints. Wasn't as bad of a game by the defense but still got lit up by back up Ryan Griffin. We got pulverized by the Vikings but a lot of that had to do with having a backup QB start the season.

2015: The Raiders were pretty much the Raiders. We picked off Carr and held pretty good defensively but only scored 3 points all game. Went on to beat the Seahawks in overtime.

At first I was worried. But after going back and realizing that's how Fisher does things the first game, I didn't mind as much.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This. 2012 first pre season game was against the new rookie Andrew Luck. First play of the game was a short pass taken about 70 yards for the touchdown. We came out and lost against a very good Lions team.

2013: We got smacked by the Browns and Weeden went 10-13 for 112 yards and a touchdown. We were down 20-10 at halftime. Week 1 we beat the Cardinals 27-24.

2014: Lost to the Saints. Wasn't as bad of a game by the defense but still got lit up by back up Ryan Griffin. We got pulverized by the Vikings but a lot of that had to do with having a backup QB start the season.

2015: The Raiders were pretty much the Raiders. We picked off Carr and held pretty good defensively but only scored 3 points all game. Went on to beat the Seahawks in overtime.

At first I was worried. But after going back and realizing that's how Fisher does things the first game, I didn't mind as much.

o_O

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Actually, I can b/c the Steve Spagnulo Rams in the preseason looked like world beaters. Dominating everyone. Yeah, no.

All I'm saying, yesterdays starting team wasn't really the starting team. And I for one am not worried about it.

Spags won as many preseason games as regular season games over his time with the Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

The one thing I worry about is who the heck let Jared Goff get hit like that ??
That is a problem that needs to be resolved .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
On Brown at RG: H'e's new to that position. He played on the left side in college.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
O line is not an easy transition from college to pro....not that any position is.
Having measurables is one thing.
He is athletic enough for sure. But, playing with confidence, you can't fake that. Being tentative, which is what I see in the run game when he gets into space and being able to execute things like hand placement at game speed....well he has improvements to make. If he is not better by the time Havenstein is back I replacing him with Reynolds or Saffold.

Isn't Wichmann ahead of Reynolds & playing a good LG ?? Who is better right now . Brown or Wichmann ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
On Brown at RG: H'e's new to that position. He played on the left side in college.
He played there last season. I'm beginning to wonder about him. He had a hard time against Aaron Donald. He was getting beat badly.I said to a fan,that Donald was beating him badly. He said everyone gets beat badly by him.
He got moved from LG to RG, & then (crap hit fan) Saffold got hurt,& Hav,& then Brown & Williams same play.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It was more than apparent to me the Rams D was directed to play soft at the start of the game. Don't read too much into Dak Prescotts #'s. the Rams were playing soft to avoid injuries and get game film on their own DB's. Fisher and GW's approach to the 1st pre-season game is not the same as the regular season (trying to win). No pass rush (Quinn and Hayes, both starting DE's didn't play) No Gaines at DB.
Fisher is more concerned about getting through TC and pre-season injury free and getting good player evaluation than with winning, so its unfair to compare Rams "ones" to Cowboys "ones".