For Those Who Attended Camp....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Quick question for those who attended camp or practices.

Did Hill take many reps with the 1's at all when Bradford was just returning? Just curious if he was able to develop any kind of chemistry with Britt, Quick, Cook, etc.

Thanks in advance.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It hasn't been a case of him getting reps with the "1's" as much as they way they handle the receivers and their reps. They tend to rotate most of the top 6 WRs so they get reps with both the 1's and 2's. So, an indirect answer to your question, is yes, he has taken plenty of reps with Quick, Britt, Austin, Bailey, ETC. Not as many with Cook and Kendricks, but that shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

The thing about Hill, as I observed throughout training camp, there are things he doesn't do as well as Bradford obviously. His arm strength is nothing special. So I wonder how he makes the same down field throws that Bradford has been making to Britt and Quick. That dig route needs to be a staple in this offense, and I need to see Hill make that throw consistently.

That being said, he makes up for that with understanding where to go with the ball, and anticipates receivers coming out of breaks and delivers the ball where it needs to go. I look at the back shoulder TD pass to Bailey in the Saints preseason game as an example of this. I think too many people are not giving this guy a chance. He will not be Kellen Clemens 2.0. They won't alter the offense because he can't handle it.

Last edited:

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Hopefully this doesn't affect Quick much. It seemed like he became Bradford's 'go to guy' in camp and early in pre-season games.

PhxRam

Hopefully this doesn't affect Quick much. It seemed like he became Bradford's 'go to guy' in camp and early in pre-season games.

And that might be a good thing. Having a "go to" guy can make things predictable

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
And that might be a good thing. Having a "go to" guy can make things predictable
Not when that go to is a big, 6'4 guy who goes up and gets it whenever he feels like it.

Just ask Matthew Stafford, Megatron being the only guy he throws to is the only thing keeping him relevant in Detroit.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher

I think what I was getting at is that they had a great rapport. Bradford showing much more confidence in Quick than in the past, and Quick responded by making plays. Just hoping that he and Hill are on the same page as it seemed he and Bradford were.

allrams

UDFA
It hasn't been a case of him getting reps with the "1's" as much as they way they handle the receivers and their reps. They tend to rotate most of the top 6 WRs so they get reps with both the 1's and 2's. So, an indirect answer to your question, is yes, he has taken plenty of reps with Quick, Britt, Austin, Bailey, ETC. Not as many with Cook and Kendricks, but that shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

The thing about Hill, as I observed throughout training camp, there are things he doesn't do as well as Bradford obviously. His arm strength is nothing special. So I wonder how he makes the same down field throws that Bradford has been making to Britt and Quick. That dig route needs to be a staple in this offense, and I need to see Hill make that throw consistently.

That being said, he makes up for that with understanding where to go with the ball, and anticipates receivers coming out of breaks and delivers the ball where it needs to go. I look at the back shoulder TD pass to Bailey in the Saints preseason game as an example of this. I think too many people are not giving this guy a chance. He will not be Kellen Clemens 2.0. They won't alter the offense because he can't handle it.
Does he do anything better than Sam. How accurate is hill. Is he more of a gunslinger.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Does he do anything better than Sam. How accurate is hill. Is he more of a gunslinger.

I think he has a better understanding of what defenses are doing, and knows where to go with the ball, PRE-SNAP. I always thought that was something Bradford needed to be better at. I think Hill is more willing to take chances with his throws, but I'm not sure that will translate as a good thing. He tends to force balls into tight spots, something Bradford was doing more of in camp this year. The difference is, Bradford has the arm strength and can get away with it, Hill doesn't. So while I think Hill may make some plays that Bradford was less apt to even try, I also think he is likely to throw more INTs because of it. Kind of a risk vs. reward thing for me.

Now if the defense truly does take the next step, this might not be as big of a negative as in years past. If they don't and teams exploit what foresee being a higher turnover rate by our offense, then it could be a recipe for disaster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Just to add a little to support your post. Hill has a career comp % of 62%, and has a td / int Ratio of 41-23 (better than Sam's) and a record of 13-13 as a starter. We will be fine with Hill!