For those fearing all the QBs will be gone by #15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I will be surprised if Dallas takes a QB at #4. They'll want someone who can contribute immediately or, more likely, a trade partner to trade down. Can't see them using #4 on a player who may not see the field for a couple of years. Romo is nearly $32 mil in dead money for 2016, more than $19 mil for 2017. He is there QB and they'll be looking for a back up or a developmental QB, not a first rounder.

Jerry has already had a discussion with Romo that they could draft a QB. That being said, it doesn't mean they'll take one at #4, it's possible they take one in round 2 and try to develop him and there will be some candidates for that.

Still, I'd definitely feel more comfortable moving up into the top 10 if possible so that there is more of a chance that Snead and Fisher have at least two of the top 4 available for the taking.

We have an extra 2nd rounder thanks to the Bradford trade. We should use it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just looked at the cbssports.com's updated prospect rankings. Lot of movement over the last few weeks, by the way. Their QB rankings are starting to make more sense.
4. Goff
11. Lynch
27. Wentz (I think he'll climb more - 12-20 range)
44. Cook (good candidate for good team with aging vet)
62. Hackenberg (someone will try to fix him).

No one else in the top 64. Coker has moved up a lot, Hogan a little. Both now shown as early day 3 prospects. Most of these rankings are about right, IMO, at least within half a round of where I think they'll be taken.

Hackenberg is just not a good QB prospect. Believe me, I want him to be, but no. IMO Hogan will go before he does in the draft. Probably Coker too given his play in the NCAA playoffs.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I'll be honest. I don't know a darn thing about any of these guys (maybe a little from watching Cook at Michigan State but not enough to form a good opinion about him). But from watching the NCAA Championship tonight, I'd kind of like to wait and select Deshaun Watson. He looks like he has a nice strong release with pretty decent accuracy and is a good scrambler. How do you guys think he compares to the top prospects that are entering this year's draft?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I like Kevin Hogan's attributes as well as any of the others that have been mentioned as going in the First round. Stanford ran a Pro-Style, run heavy with play-action pass. Many long shots down field, many bootlegs. Seems to fit what the Rams have been doing on offense. His yardage is average for this past season @ 2,500, but he did complete 68% percent of his passes ; 23 TD's vs 7 Int's. He is 14-6 versus top 25 opponents and he has rushed for 1,000 yards during his career. He has also played in 4 Bowl games, with 3 of them being the Rose Bowl (3-1). He has experience playing in the big games.

I would be excited to see the Rams draft him in the 2nd round and see what happens when Mannion and Hogan compete for the starting job.

jjab360

Legend
I like Kevin Hogan's attributes as well as any of the others that have been mentioned as going in the First round. Stanford ran a Pro-Style, run heavy with play-action pass. Many long shots down field, many bootlegs. Seems to fit what the Rams have been doing on offense. His yardage is average for this past season @ 2,500, but he did complete 68% percent of his passes ; 23 TD's vs 7 Int's. He is 14-6 versus top 25 opponents and he has rushed for 1,000 yards during his career. He has also played in 4 Bowl games, with 3 of them being the Rose Bowl (3-1). He has experience playing in the big games.

I would be excited to see the Rams draft him in the 2nd round and see what happens when Mannion and Hogan compete for the starting job.
From what little I've seen of him haven't been impressed. Really, really ugly release, pretty inaccurate despite the CMP%, and doesn't throw a tight spiral.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be honest. I don't know a darn thing about any of these guys (maybe a little from watching Cook at Michigan State but not enough to form a good opinion about him). But from watching the NCAA Championship tonight, I'd kind of like to wait and select Deshaun Watson. He looks like he has a nice strong release with pretty decent accuracy and is a good scrambler. How do you guys think he compares to the top prospects that are entering this year's draft?

He's not draft eligible until next year. And there's a possibility that he either doesn't enter the draft next year or we have zero shot at getting him. It's not a risk I think is worth taking...unless we have one hell of a plan for QB next year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
In the past I would offer deference to the Rams brass. Let them identify the QB they want and hope they do whatever is necessary to get that guy. They really do, in my mind, need to go all in to get a QB. They have a window if they can find one - and they have to be willing to pay because good ones, heck, competent ones, are so hard to find.

So Id like to say that whoever the Rams staff likes, go get him.

But that would be telling the same evaluators who traded for Nick Foles, watched him play month or so of practice, and decided to extend him that they have a green light to go shopping for a QB again, but this time - they can spend on our future on it.

Athos

Legend
Maybe many of those evaluators that got fired were involved in signing off on Foles and that's why they're gone.

I'm still not convinced Fosher knows quality QB talent.... But I hope he brings in someone who does.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jerry has already had a discussion with Romo that they could draft a QB. That being said, it doesn't mean they'll take one at #4, it's possible they take one in round 2 and try to develop him and there will be some candidates for that.

Still, I'd definitely feel more comfortable moving up into the top 10 if possible so that there is more of a chance that Snead and Fisher have at least two of the top 4 available for the taking.

We have an extra 2nd rounder thanks to the Bradford trade. We should use it.

Jerry really should consider if he will be in a position to draft a QB that is likely to go in the top ten, again in the near future. When you are in a position to take a QB and there is any question with your starter, then you take one if he is good enough. It is a simple rule but should be rule 1 of every NFL GM. Romo has questions about his durability at this point. The Cowboys should pick a QB of the future, just like the Rams should have picked Bortles when they had the opportunity.

Deshaun Watson looks like a very good prospect. Coker on the other hand? I am not sold on him. Sure he stepped up in the playoffs but his season was not so great. Even his NC game stats weren't the best. Take away one player, Howard, who the Tigers didn't seem to be ready for and Coker's stats are nothing great. His completion percentage was not that great. 16/25. That is Ram stats right there and we aren't happy with it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jerry really should consider if he will be in a position to draft a QB that is likely to go in the top ten, again in the near future. When you are in a position to take a QB and there is any question with your starter, then you take one if he is good enough. It is a simple rule but should be rule 1 of every NFL GM. Romo has questions about his durability at this point. The Cowboys should pick a QB of the future, just like the Rams should have picked Bortles when they had the opportunity.

I tend to agree with your take, but remembers it's Jerry Jones we are talking about. If the rumors are true, Jerry's son had to take the card with Johnny Manziel's name on it out of his hands at the draft a couple of years ago, so we can't assume he'll always approach things from the logical perspective.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
our first and and 2nd and two future 1st rounders,shouold be darn close, and we are built to win now
train
You speaking of the opening season 2015 Rams built team or the 2016 unknown Rams roster with over 18 (10 of which were starters for us this season) entering free agency in March? I would have said it this way .....the Rams WERE built to win in the opening 2015 season.

Obviously I am not in your corner on this & will have to disagree with you on this one nighttrain. I would flat refuse to use the next 3 seasons high draft picks to secure one player in this years draft. I prefer to well balance out our master roster in filling the 2016 vacancies due to (free agency & cap suckers) to bring in quality talent as future starters. I could not role the dice like that. I would hope that Snead can find several good QB's in this draft and not trading away our future.

nighttrain

Legend
You speaking of the opening season 2015 Rams built team or the 2016 unknown Rams roster with over 18 (10 of which were starters for us this season) entering free agency in March? I would have said it this way .....the Rams WERE built to win in the opening 2015 season.

Obviously I am not in your corner on this & will have to disagree with you on this one nighttrain. I would flat refuse to use the next 3 seasons high draft picks to secure one player in this years draft. I prefer to well balance out our master roster in filling the 2016 vacancies due to (free agency & cap suckers) to bring in quality talent as future starters. I could not role the dice like that. I would hope that Snead can find several good QB's in this draft and not trading away our future.
i was assuming we sign all of our FA, color me hopeful
train

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Dallas is going to take a QB. I think we can bank that, because as good as their QB is he is old and cannot stay healthy. Even Romo saw the writing on the wall and said he's good with them taking one of those guys.
I don't know if Dallas will. What they will need (DT, DE) will be abundant around the middle of the first round. They would be a prime canidate to move back. And then look to the FA listings for a backup (Bradford, RG3, Manziel....)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the salary cap increase this year, and the affordability of rookie contracts these days, I wouldnt write off nearly as many teams.
Wouldnt surprise me if any of these teams went QB
2. Cleveland.
3. San Diego
4. Dallas.
7. San Francisco
8. Miami
11. Chicago
12. New Orleans
13. Philadelphia

And of course there is also the possibility of teams trading up

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
He's not draft eligible until next year. And there's a possibility that he either doesn't enter the draft next year or we have zero shot at getting him. It's not a risk I think is worth taking...unless we have one hell of a plan for QB next year.
That's what I meant when I said wait another year, but I see how that could be bad if he doesn't declare for next year's draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that would be telling the same evaluators who traded for Nick Foles, watched him play month or so of practice, and decided to extend him that they have a green light to go shopping for a QB again, but this time - they can spend on our future on it.

Yeah man, it's terrifying.