For The Teams In Need Of A Qb...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So you are a QB needy team; Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland(?), Tampa(?), Minnesota, Tennessee(?), Jets...

Here are your free agent options;

0. Matt Shaub
0.5 Mark Sanchez
1. Michael Vick
2. Josh McCown
3. Matt Cassel
4. Josh Freeman
5. Shaun Hill
6. Chad Henne
7. Tarvaris Jackson
8. Colt McCoy
9. Matt Flynn
10. Kellen Clemens
11. Luke McCown
12. Derek Anderson
13. David Garrard
14. Dan Orlovsky
15. Rex Grossman
16. Curtis Painter
17. Tim Tebow
18. Jimmy Clausen
19. Charlie Whitehurst
20. Brady Quinn

Here are your top trade options among the back-up ranks;

1. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
2. Kyle Orton, Dallas Cowboys
3. Chase Daniel, Kansas City Chiefs
4. Kevin Kolb, Buffalo Bills
5. Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins
6. Matt Hasselbeck, Indianapolis Colts
7. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tennessee Titans
8. Ryan Mallett, New England Patriots
9. T.J. Yates, Houston Texans
10. Jason Campbell, Cleveland Browns
11. Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore Ravens

I think teams can win with Mike Vick and Josh McCown... but after that; you are deep into backup territory, IMO.

My guess; Vick goes to the Jets.

From there, if you are Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Minnesota YOU HAVE TO BE THINKING DRAFT... don't you?

Does anyone see a name or combination on that list that changes the top of this draft? Maybe Mallet could end up in Houston... but anyone else?

Can you imagine going into the season without a QB to give you hope? That's the desperate situation those teams find themselves in.

QB's are over valued in the draft and this year is a perfect example of teams that have to fight for the best of what the draft offers, because the FA/trade options just aren't there.

Last edited:

tonyl711

Starter
FA is weak in QBs, nobody on your list of tradable back ups would inspire me, the draft looks like the best option here, and theres not many worth taking first round which is why there will be a lot of interest in our #2 pick IMO.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I can see Tennessee and Tampa both waiting until 3 or 4 to look at QBs. Allegedly some Tampa fans are happy with Glennon. I think the Titans give Locker one last year to prove it.

It does seem like more teams have a QB position in flux than most years I can remember. Even teams like Arizona with Palmer or Pittsburgh with Roethlisberger (the money due) have to be thinking about targeting a QB of the future. Still more teams with unsettled depth. Kinda crazy...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FA is weak in QBs, nobody on your list of tradable back ups would inspire me, the draft looks like the best option here, and theres not many worth taking first round which is why there will be a lot of interest in our #2 pick IMO.

That's why I put this post together. The list of suitable options, outside of the draft, is just not there. Unless... you want to "pass on 2014".

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can see Tennessee and Tampa both waiting until 3 or 4 to look at QBs. Allegedly some Tampa fans are happy with Glennon. I think the Titans give Locker one last year to prove it.

I agree. To the same degree; Oakland.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just off hand ... is Sanchez a FA ?

http://fansided.com/2014/02/27/will-new-york-jets-get-rid-mark-sanchez/#!xTMzD

It appears that Mark Sanchez’s career with the New York Jets is currently on borrowed time. The man who is best known for his infamous ‘Butt-Fumble’ against the New England Patriots a couple of seasons ago, hasn’t proved to be the answer that the Jets have been looking for.

Since then, they’ve drafted Geno Smith, who hasn’t proved to be the answer either. But Smith has a lot more time with this organization than Mark Sanchez does.

According to Ian Rapoport on Twitter, the Jets are yet to tell Sanchez that they will be parting ways with the veteran quarterback.

What’s also interesting is that Rapoport names Michael Vick as a possible option. Vick has suffered a handful of injuries over the last couple of years, mainly rib related. It’s clear who will be the starting quarterback in Philadelphia.

But when it comes to the New York Jets, the starting job is still up for grabs. Even though Rex Ryan may say that Geno Smith may be their starting quarterback in 2014 whenever Sanchez gets released, Vick will end up beating the rookie to win the job.

tonyl711

Starter
a lot of teams wanting QBs will be calling, also some wanting Clowney will be calling, I think we will get a nice trade out of it when all is said and done.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks CGI for the above information. All the above would have to come into play in this 2014 draft with at least a half dozen teams. Those 1/2 dozen teams who have signed and signed and over again many of the types of QB's on that list and met with failure after failure. Might as well gamble on an UNknown like the top four or five QB's in this draft than to repeat the repeated failures/loosers that are on that list above.

Sure hope if there ever was a QB frenzy to take place in the modern era of the NFL draft please make it this year! Rams would not do bad if they were able to trade down not once but twice and still get one of the best OT's or a WR or DE or even the best OSLBer. & then use all that draft ammo collected from the Frenzy to secure very good prospects as they venture close to where we are selecting.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Between the above list and what's available in the draft good luck on finding a QB this year. Kinda sucks don't it?
I like Bridgewater a lot. But that said he grades out the same as Jake Locker did. Bortles has upside but might need to sit for a year. And if I was going to have to let a QB sit and learn I'd go Garopplo . Carr would be the best choice for a west coast O. He has already mastered the 3 yard check down.
There are some vets that can get a team though a season. Just pick the one that fits the scheme best.

This is a QB draft that will get some coaches and GM's fired for sure.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
The Freeman situation still baffles me, 2010-2012 the kid passes for over 11,000 yards 68 TD's, 5 rushing TD's. The 45 INT's are bad but seem fixable.
He looked to be on the rise then went off the rails. I think if he gets his head right he could be a sleeper FA for somebody.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
You forgot Matt Schaub. I don't see Houston keeping him around after what happened last year and this is a new coaching staff......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You forgot Matt Schaub. I don't see Houston keeping him around after what happened last year and this is a new coaching staff......

Okay, I've added Shaub and Sanchez to the FA list as they are likely to be set free.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The Freeman situation still baffles me, 2010-2012 the kid passes for over 11,000 yards 68 TD's, 5 rushing TD's. The 45 INT's are bad but seem fixable.
He looked to be on the rise then went off the rails. I think if he gets his head right he could be a sleeper FA for somebody.
Ya had , Broadway Joe Namath, Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam and NOW Dale Mabry Street Josh Freeman, he did "go off the rails" ,don't know if drugs are involved but the word out of Tampa is he's addicted to the strip clubs,which can work for most positions but not QB in a passing league,gotta stay home and do the homework.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Why do you think so many in the media were pushing the "cut Bradford" agenda? With him on the market there would have been some legitimate drama in FA.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Given the paucity of talent both in this year's draft and, especially, in free agency, that number two pick is going to be worth a fortune if Houston select Clowney. Teams will have their sights set on one guy only (be it Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, or whomever) and will have to give up the family heirlooms to be sure of getting their guy before Jacksonville pick at three.

jjab360

Legend
I think he could've been a good QB if Tampa believed in him. I remember that leaked phone call where the Tampa GM admitted to the Buffalo GM he didn't believe in Freeman and that they were looking for a new QB and that was after he threw for 4,000 yards and 27 TDs, if I remember correctly. He's got a rocket for an arm and is no less accurate or turnover prone than a guy like Cutler so it's extremely confusing to me why Cutler gets the $120 million dollar contract and Freeman gets kicked to the curb.

jjab360

Legend
Why do you think so many in the media were pushing the "cut Bradford" agenda? With him on the market there would have been some legitimate drama in FA.
With so many teams so desperate at QB and the respect that Bradford has around the league, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a $100 million dollar contract like Cutler on the open market.:eek: