For Rams to thrive, Sean McVay must not let his youth define him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...for-rams-to-thrive-sean-mcvay-must-learn-fast

For Rams to thrive, Sean McVay must not let his youth define him

ESPN recently put together power rankings based on how each NFL team is positioned for these next three seasons.
in.gif
The Los Angeles Rams finished 28th. That is, um, not good. It's not good because, well, 28th is bad.

It's really not good because of what the next three seasons represent for this franchise. Thanks to heavy rainfall in a city that never experiences heavy rainfall, these next three years now constitute the buildup to the Rams -- and Los Angeles Chargers -- moving into their vast, opulent $2.6 billion stadium in Inglewood, California.

The Rams -- 13 years removed from their last playoff appearance, 14 years removed from their last winning season -- want to become legitimate contenders as quickly as possible. More specifically, they want to ensure they are a playoff-caliber franchise by the time they move into that new stadium. ESPN's Louis Riddick, Mike Sando and Field Yates don't think they will be -- at least not as the team is currently constructed. The trio graded each team's roster, quarterback, draft, coaches and front office, and crunched the numbers to come up with a final score. The result: 27 of the 31 other teams are, in their minds, better positioned for success from 2017 through 2019.

The Rams can't have that. They can't have an uninterested fan base in the nation's second-largest media market, and they can't play second fiddle to the Chargers in a stadium they themselves are funding. Leading up to training camp, we're going to take a look at the five things that need to happen in order for the Rams to be a lot better than the 28th-best team at the conclusion of this three-year stretch.

No. 3: Sean McVay must learn fast.

History isn't necessarily kind to McVay's circumstances. He will be 31 years, seven months and 17 days old by the time the Rams play their first regular-season game, the youngest head coach in the NFL's modern era. Prior to McVay, the four youngest head coaches in that era went a combined 52-115 before being fired by their respective teams.

Lane Kiffin went 5-15 for the Raiders and was let go emphatically by owner Al Davis, who said in a news conference that he "picked the wrong guy" and "was embarrassed to watch" his team play under Kiffin. Raheem Morris lost the final 10 games of the 2011 season and was fired by the Buccaneers with an overall record of 17-31. David Shula, son of Hall of Famer Don Shula, guided a Bengals team that went 19-52 and lost 50 games faster than any team in NFL history. He was dismissed midway through the 1996 season. Then there was Josh McDaniels, whose 28-game stint with the Broncos included a videotaping scandal, strained relationships with Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, and, ultimately, 17 losses.

None have received a second chance to be an NFL head coach.

Bottom line: This stuff's hard, and it is especially difficult at such a young age.

But those who know McVay best would caution against using his age to define him. His knowledge of the game, his ability to explain it and his capabilities as a leader are considered light years beyond whatever it says on his driver's license. Many believe McVay is a star in the making, including the Rams. They hired him before even sitting down with a more-accomplished Kyle Shanahan, the former Falcons offensive coordinator and current 49ers head coach. And they signed him to a five-year contract. They're committed to McVay long term, and his ability to adapt to the high-profile role of an NFL head coach will directly impact how the Rams look throughout this three-year stretch.

The Rams are great on special teams and very good on defense. Their success will come down to how quickly McVay can turn that offense around, and he will take a hands-on approach by calling the offensive plays. Aaron Donald has already been impressed by McVay's understanding of defensive schemes, even though McVay has been involved with only the offensive side of the ball. Jared Goff has raved about how simple McVay makes the game for quarterbacks. And everybody else will tell you the energy he brings is infectious.

"His ability to understand the game from every aspect -- fronts, coverages, line play, checks, from top to bottom -- is uncanny," said former Washington tight end Chris Cooley, who spent a lot of time around McVay these last few years. "To understand it in that way, and to speak it the way he speaks it, it's just a love thing. You have to spend unlimited time doing it. And it has to be what you love. When you talk to him, when I talk to him, you just hear it in his voice. You see it."

Cooley is like many who will tell you they hear Jon Gruden every time McVay speaks, which brings up a favorable precedent. Gruden was successful as a young head coach. So were John Madden, Don Shula, Mike Tomlin, Bill Cowher and Al Davis himself.

The Rams believe McVay is in that class, not the other.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not worried about McVay he had far better preparation then the other young coaches like Kiffin who should have never been hired along with Morris & Shula as well. McVay has been an intern, a position coach and a coordinator which has seasoned him well plus coming from a football family should aid him that nothing should shock him during the season.

McVay is grounded, he has said things like "I still haven't coached a game yet." And "Yes all things are great right now, but if I'm 0-4, things will change fast." Great perspective for a young coach. This we know, the Rams were focused on Jon Gruden & Kyle Shanahan and after Gruden told them, he didn't want to coach again, he informed them that Shanahan was good, but Sean McVay was "special." and in the words of Paul Harvey....You know the rest of the story.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. I only think of McVay's age when others bring it up. I see him as a fresh, innovative offensive mind that is comfortable enough in his own skin that he hired someone over twice his age (and former HC himself) as his DC.

2. I remember that 49ers really wanted to interview McVay before the Rams hired him. I remember anecdotal evidence of Niner fans on different web sites telling me how sure they would hire McVay, and then hating the Rams for getting him.,

The key for naysayers like Sando and his lot is that by putting their collective foot on the necks of teams that have struggled, like the Rams every year, is they will probably be more right than wrong...Let's hope we shove this opinion up their @ss sideways, with nails on the edges!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not worried about McVay he had far better preparation then the other young coaches like Kiffin who should have never been hired along with Morris & Shula as well. McVay has been an intern, a position coach and a coordinator which has seasoned him well plus coming from a football family should aid him that nothing should shock him during the season.

McVay is grounded, he has said things like "I still haven't coached a game yet." And "Yes all things are great right now, but if I'm 0-4, things will change fast." Great perspective for a young coach. This we know, the Rams were focused on Jon Gruden & Kyle Shanahan and after Gruden told them, he didn't want to coach again, he informed them that Shanahan was good, but Sean McVay was "special." and in the words of Paul Harvey....You know the rest of the story.
Forgive me Den, but every time I see your avatar, all I can think of you is that you are alone in a dark room saying " We HAVE to get a touchdown here, We HAVE to.score." lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The key for naysayers like Sando and his lot is that by putting their collective foot on the necks of teams that have struggled, like the Rams every year, is they will probably be more right than wrong...Let's hope we shove this opinion up their @ss sideways, with nails on the edges!

True, can't blame them because it's easy to keep writing or tweeting about how good the Patriots are going to be and how bad everybody else is going to be with your occasional "Watch out for the Steelers" insight, however, some offer hope as they have the Rams heading in the right direction and Rams will need to be on the better side of .500 to totally turn the tide of the pundits.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams are great on special teams and very good on defense. Their success will come down to how quickly McVay can turn that offense around, and he will take a hands-on approach by calling the offensive plays. Aaron Donald has already been impressed by McVay's understanding of defensive schemes, even though McVay has been involved with only the offensive side of the ball.
"His ability to understand the game from every aspect -- fronts, coverages, line play, checks, from top to bottom -- is uncanny," said former Washington tight end Chris Cooley, who spent a lot of time around McVay these last few years. "To understand it in that way, and to speak it the way he speaks it, it's just a love thing. You have to spend unlimited time doing it. And it has to be what you love. When you talk to him, when I talk to him, you just hear it in his voice. You see it."
Just reading these two statements, well tell you all you need to know, in order toe realize, that Riddick - Sando ( a Hag's Hack!) and Yates, Don't have a Clue as to what is going on inside the Rams organization!!(y);):D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LoyalRam that crack was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

McVay is grounded, he has said things like "I still haven't coached a game yet." And "Yes all things are great right now, but if I'm 0-4, things will change fast." Great perspective for a young coach.

I agree this is a very good point you bring up. It makes him sound mature and humble rather than bold and brash.

he key for naysayers like Sando and his lot is that by putting their collective foot on the necks of teams that have struggled, like the Rams every year, is they will probably be more right than wrong

The Rams and Browns are the easiest marks in the NFL when it comes to doom and gloom. So we lead the league in something!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
All these media personnel saying you can't be terrible and be in a big market. Please! Look at the Knicks! Look at the Jets! Clearly, you actually can.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
To judge McVay by only his age would be a serious mistake.

Yeah, he's 31 years old going on 45 or so, if you know what I mean.

He's not your typical 31 year old coach. He's a prodigy, fellas.

His age is just an irrelevant number, if you ask me. What does matter is that McVay seems to have "it".

He's impressing both present and former players no end. From Aaron Donald to Jackie Slater and everybody in between.

Imaginative
Technique driven
Strong communicator with players, coaches, and media alike.
Energy
Enthusiasm
Believes in teaching players via his coaches
Resume includes developing so-so players into stars
Smart enough and respected enough to hire outstanding asst coaches

The anti Fisher, huh?

I think that the McVay hire was nothing less than a HR. His team will be respectable this first year. And by his second year, nobody will want to play his teams.

Like I said, the 31 year old thing is irrelevant in his case. He's special...

Zero

Pro Bowler
LOL..You tell'em LR!
Never liked Sando,then I found out he is a seachicken fan,now I hate him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTHpEPOmkko&feature=youtu.be

Sando tries to impress dad,while mother laughs uncontrollably
to mask her shame.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
All these media personnel saying you can't be terrible and be in a big market. Please! Look at the Knicks! Look at the Jets! Clearly, you actually can.

There are plenty of bad teams in large markets. I have no idea what this jackass is talking about either. Most of the big markets have at least one bad team out of the 3-8 they have.

I dunno why I cannot have this guys job. I could do better.

To judge McVay by only his age would be a serious mistake.

I think most of us feel that way. We can judge him by what he does WAY before we judge him by experience. I got into it many years back with someone in an ad agency on a similar type of thing. Ideas were flying around and I didn't work for the agency I was there because I was asked to be and I had been involved and on the perimeter of marketing for a little while. An arrogant asshole who was older than everyone else in the meeting kept saying "I've been in this business for 25 years" so after hearing that a few times I kinda took of the kinder gentler applicator for a moment and said "does that mean everyone elses ideas are shit?" and we had about 30 seconds of back and forth which ended in me saying "if you think you are the only smart person sitting at the table then you shouldn't be at the fucking table".

So yeah his age means bupkis. It's what he does that matters. And at this point he's talked to the media enough that they should stop talking about his age, he's proven he's no slouch when it comes to football.

Sando tries to impress dad,while mother laughs uncontrollably
to mask her shame.

That's an annoying laugh, really annoying.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
The Rams -- 13 years removed from their last playoff appearance, 14 years removed from their last winning season -- want to become legitimate contenders as quickly as possible. More specifically, they want to ensure they are a playoff-caliber franchise by the time they move into that new stadium. ESPN's Louis Riddick, Mike Sando and Field Yates don't think they will be -- at least not as the team is currently constructed. The trio graded each team's roster, quarterback, draft, coaches and front office, and crunched the numbers to come up with a final score. The result: 27 of the 31 other teams are, in their minds, better positioned for success from 2017 through 2019.

Let's see how the season shapes up before saying how the Rams will be in three years,

The Rams can't have that. They can't have an uninterested fan base in the nation's second-largest media market, and they can't play second fiddle to the Chargers in a stadium they themselves are funding. Leading up to training camp, we're going to take a look at the five things that need to happen in order for the Rams to be a lot better than the 28th-best team at the conclusion of this three-year stretch.

Sando may have worded it wrong. They should be the best football team in LA. We want them to be. The Rams have to improve things moving forward as they have been bad for far to long. The McVay hiring was a great first step. The Rams made moves in the right direction with free agency and the draft. They also let aging vets go to make room for the younger players. They are on their way.

History isn't necessarily kind to McVay's circumstances. He will be 31 years, seven months and 17 days old by the time the Rams play their first regular-season game, the youngest head coach in the NFL's modern era. Prior to McVay, the four youngest head coaches in that era went a combined 52-115 before being fired by their respective teams.

Lane Kiffin went 5-15 for the Raiders and was let go emphatically by owner Al Davis, who said in a news conference that he "picked the wrong guy" and "was embarrassed to watch" his team play under Kiffin. Raheem Morris lost the final 10 games of the 2011 season and was fired by the Buccaneers with an overall record of 17-31. David Shula, son of Hall of Famer Don Shula, guided a Bengals team that went 19-52 and lost 50 games faster than any team in NFL history. He was dismissed midway through the 1996 season. Then there was Josh McDaniels, whose 28-game stint with the Broncos included a videotaping scandal, strained relationships with Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, and, ultimately, 17 losses.

See end of article.

. Jared Goff has raved about how simple McVay makes the game for quarterbacks. And everybody else will tell you the energy he brings is infectious.

Very underrated and key trait for any coach.

Cooley is like many who will tell you they hear Jon Gruden every time McVay speaks, which brings up a favorable precedent. Gruden was successful as a young head coach. So were John Madden, Don Shula, Mike Tomlin, Bill Cowher and Al Davis himself.

The Rams believe McVay is in that class, not the other.

McVay can be successful as a young coach like these examples illustrate successful young coaches. The players believe in McVay and will work to improve as he and his coaches teach the game. As pointed out by Den he has experienced NFL football from the ground up.