For Rams, Sunday could be a big step toward regaining loyalty in L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
For Rams, Sunday could be a big step toward regaining loyalty in L.A.

• i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- Tickets for Sunday's Seattle Seahawks-Los Angeles Rams game were still very much available as of Saturday afternoon, the cheapest ones going for $87. The last time the Rams hosted the division-rival Seahawks, on Sept. 18 last year, more than 90,000 fans stuffed themselves into Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to watch the Rams capture their first L.A. victory in more than 20 years.

On Sunday, though, attendance will be no more than around 60,000, even though the Rams probably haven't been this exciting in a decade.

There's a tangible buzz about these 3-1 Rams, on their way to one of the greatest offensive turnarounds in NFL history. That buzz, however, has yet to translate into increased attendance in their home market, a struggle that the neighboring, winless Los Angeles Chargers know all too well. The Rams capped their Coliseum capacity at 65,000 this year, at least partly because hosting 90,000 fans at a 94-year-old venue became a logistical nightmare. But they still aren't selling out games.

It will take a while for the Rams to regain trust in L.A., a city starving for NFL football right up until it got an up-close look at the most boring brand of NFL football imaginable last season.

But fans won't come out in droves until the Rams prove they can be legitimate contenders -- and that can happen as early as this weekend.

The Seahawks were deemed a Super Bowl-caliber team heading in, but it's the Rams who are in first place through the season's first quarter, and it's the Rams who are actually favored -- minus-1.5 -- to win on Sunday.

San Francisco 49ers (0-4) look very much like a team at the onset of a long rebuild. The Arizona Cardinals (2-2) seem almost helpless without running back David Johnson. And the Seahawks (2-2) have significant offensive line issues that might not resolve themselves.

The Rams are foolish enough to think they might just have a chance to win this division.

“It’s been the goal since Sean and the new staff got here," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said, referencing his new coach, Sean McVay. "There’s been no wavering in that. We just continued to try to get better in the offseason and now into the season. And I’ll say it again -- every day we come out here, and there’s no external influence on anything. We come out and practice and try to just get better.”

The Rams are better in ways nobody thought possible.

They went from scoring an NFL-low 224 points in 16 games last year to an NFL-best 142 points in the first four games this year. Goff, exceedingly more confident behind an improved offensive line and an innovative scheme, leads the NFL with 9.2 yards per attempt and sports a 112.2 passer rating. Todd Gurley leads the NFC with 596 scrimmage yards and seven touchdowns. The Rams' top three receivers -- Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp -- have each caught at least 12 passes.

"They’ve totally turned around kind of their style, the scoring and offense and the ability just to control the football," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. "It’s just really a clear distinction from what it was a year ago. The quarterback play is fantastic. They’ve really assembled a good bunch of guys. They’ve got big playmakers at every spot, so they’ve got, I would think, a great feel about them and momentum."

Seahawks-Rams is now a matchup between the NFL's oldest coach in Carroll, 66, and the youngest head coach in modern NFL history in McVay (Carroll worked with McVay's grandfather at one point). The Rams have won three of their past four games against the Seahawks and are 4-1 against them at home with Russell Wilson at quarterback, but that was all under Jeff Fisher.

Last year, when the Rams pulled out a 9-3 win in their home opener, Wilson was hobbled by a high ankle sprain and, as he put it, "moved like a bag of bricks." He's fully healthy now, having already gained 138 yards on the ground. Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson believes Wilson is "better out of the pocket than in the pocket." Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips called Wilson "one of the best ever" at scrambling.

"We've got to contain the guy," said Phillips, whose defense is coming off holding the Dallas Cowboys to six second-half points last week. "But if you contain him, he can still really throw the football well. He presents big problems."

The biggest problems, however, come from the Seahawks' defense, which has yet to dominate but is still one of the NFL's best. After Seattle, the Rams play the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Arizona Cardinals, the New York Giants, the Houston Texans and the Minnesota Vikings, representing a string of six consecutive difficult matchups for an offense that is still growing under a new scheme.

The Rams, however, are keeping their focus on Week 5.

Offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur called the upcoming game against the Seahawks "a great measuring stick for our offense and a big-time challenge.” Offensive lineman Jamon Brown referred to it as "another building block on our foundation, trying to take this from a losing culture to a winning culture."

Sunday can be a big step toward that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pete Carroll, Sean McVay meet as NFL's oldest, youngest head coaches ...

Rex Ryan applauds Rams head coach Sean McVay's influence over young QB Jared Goff. (0:58)

• i

Brady HendersonESPN
RENTON, Wash. -- Asked this week about his background with Sean McVay, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll put into perspective the age difference between him and his new counterpart with the Los Angeles Rams.

Or at least he tried to.

"I was good friends with his dad," Carroll said before pausing to laugh, "when we were at San Francisco, so I can't tell you much more. I don't know him, but I think it's incredibly exciting that a young guy like that could jump in and show that he has command and do a great job right off the bat."

Carroll knew John McVay from his two-year stint as San Francisco 49ersdefensive coordinator in 1995 and '96. McVay was a high-ranking executive in the 49ers' front office, considered an unsung hero in constructing the teams that won three Super Bowls under Bill Walsh and two more under George Seifert.

John Sullivan, 32, and left tackle Andrew Whitworth, 35. McVay is the same age as Seahawks defensive ends Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril, and he's four years younger than Seattle punter Jon Ryan.

McVay was asked on a conference call this week what has been the oddest part about being an NFL head coach at 31.

"I think the oddest is probably most of the time when you go to places that people don't realize what role you have," he said. "They think you're an equipment manager or an intern."

Statistics
Scoreboard
2017 schedule, results
Standings

Second-year defensive lineman Quinton Jefferson, who was signed by the Seahawks off the Rams' practice squad this week, said it was his observation during the month he spent with Los Angeles that "everyone respected Coach McVay."

"They really didn't see the age as a problem," Jefferson said. "It is kinda strange having a young coach, but he commands the room."

At the scouting combine in March, a few weeks after McVay was hired, Carroll playfully crashed McVay's media session and asked him if he takes questions from opposing head coaches.

"My grandfather has a whole lot of respect for Coach Carroll and the way he handled himself and the contributions he made to the 49ers organization," McVay said this week. "Since I got into coaching, Coach Carroll's been nothing but great to me and always been willing to help and share some advice and give a perspective."

Maybe the most helpful advice that Carroll could have given McVay was about his own initial experiences as a head coach. The New York Jetshired Carroll in 1994, when he was 43, and fired him after one 6-10 season. He lasted three seasons with the New England Patriots before he was fired by them, too. Before the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII, Carroll said it took getting fired twice -- and "getting kicked in the butt" -- to get to where he was.

Asked on Friday about the biggest challenge for first-timers, Carroll said it's figuring out what you believe in as a coach, "because you're going to get challenged so many times and asked so many [times] to come up with so many statements and principles in your approach that you really can't predict. So you're challenged at the core of your philosophy. So you've just have to go through it and figure it out.

"I think it's rare when a young guy really can just smoothly go through it, and we don't see it very often. It shows how prepared Sean is and what a great job he's doing right now."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Seahawks visit L.A. to face suddenly explosive Rams

STATS/TSX•Oct 4, 2017, 9:03 PM

Back when Carroll was at the University of Southern California, his teams filled the historic stadium with a brand of football that was as entertaining as it was successful.

And one of the teams in Sunday's game arrives with a similar reputation, but can it really be the Rams?

"To the players' credit, they've made a handful of plays," new Rams coach Sean McVay said.

Make that a fistful at least. The Rams (3-1) look nothing like last year's team that was built around a running game stuck in the mud and a defense that bent and broke.

So excuse the Seahawks (2-2) if they don't recognize this revitalized L.A. unit. The Rams split their two games with the Seahawks last year, but they didn't score a touchdown in either game.

Spinning the scoreboard hasn't been the problem this season and how stout Seattle's defense can be will likely determine this NFC West showdown. But the Seahawks figure to be challenged, especially with defensive end Cliff Avril out.

It was Zuerlein's three field goals that led the Rams to a 9-3 win over Seattle last year.

Just last week, Zuerlein had a franchise-record seven field goals in beating the Cowboys 35-30 in Dallas.

"I'd like to have a couple more PATs," McVay said.

While the offense has become the darling of the NFL, the defense has shown plenty of warts. Its ranked 28th in surrendering 26.2 points per game.

The Seahawks rolled up a season-high 194 rushing yards and Wilson had the most accurate game of his career in connecting on 21 of 26 passes.

"When you're running the football, there's kind of an energy about it that you can play off of," Carroll said. "But there's also the fact that you're running the football and it allows you to work all the passing game stuff that comes off of it, which we love to do. When it's working, there's a sense that you have of it, and it plays right to our style."

Carroll knows the Rams' style all too well -- he won a national championship with a high-octane attack. Come Sunday, he'll be trying to stop one.

"We've seen the Rams and they have been explosive on offense and has really controlled the ball," Carroll said. "It's a tremendous turnaround for their program."

Spoken like a one-time college coach.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams' Lamarcus Joyner likely to miss second straight game
Oct 6, 2017
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams defensive back Lamarcus Joyner will probably miss his second consecutive game against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

Joyner, bothered by a hamstring injury he suffered Sept. 28, did not practice all week and was listed as doubtful Friday. But Rams coach Sean McVay said that Joyner is "progressing really well" and that the team is simply being cautious with a soft-tissue injury for a skill-position player.

"If he can go, great," McVay said of Joyner. "If not, then we anticipate him being ready to go next week."

Joyner, who plays free safety and slot corner, is graded third among 79 NFL safeties by Pro Football Focus this season. If he sits out, Cody Daviswould see time at free safety and Nickell Robey-Coleman would take snaps as the slot corner.

Right guard Jamon Brown is listed as questionable with a groin injury, but McVay said he feels "good" about Brown's chances of playing. Everybody else on the Rams is expected to be healthy enough to play.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Week 5 NFL predictions
Seahawks at Rams

i

Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks are coming off one of the more dominant halves of football they've played under Pete Carroll, outscoring the Colts 36-3 and holding them to 32 yards in the second half last week. That was a reminder that their defense remains one of the NFL's best. The offense remains a question mark, however, and could be without starting left tackle Rees Odhiambo because of a chest injury. Even at full strength, Seattle's offensive line will have its hands full against a Rams front four that has given the Seahawks all sorts of trouble during the past few seasons. Russell Wilson's QBR in five road games against the Rams is 48.6 compared with 71.5 in his 37 other road games. This has the makings of another close loss. Rams 24, Seahawks 23 -- Brady Henderson

i

Los Angeles Rams
The Rams are feeling really good about themselves, coming off a big road win against the Cowboys. Their offense is clicking on all cylinders, and their defense finally showed signs of life in the second half Sunday, holding Dallas to a mere six points. They'll be energized, while at home against a tough division rival, and will sneak out another close win. Rams 23, Seahawks 20 -- Alden Gonzalez

fearsomefour

Legend
CA sports....a million things to do at all times....good weather almost always.
Win and be exciting fans show up....camera cut to celebrity so and so who is there to be noticed....there is always a large contingent of visiting fans. It's a state of transplants.
Don't win....even for a short stint and your stadium will be mostly empty except for the hoard of visiting team fans.
CA sports fans are fickle and generally not great. You have to win if you're a professional team in Ca.
Exceptions: Oakland (both Raiders and A's), Dodgers, Lakers.
Keep the Raiders in Oakland, make the Whiners play in Salinas, move the Chargers to Mexico City.
Everything is fixed now NFL.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
The Rams capped their Coliseum capacity at 65,000 this year, at least partly because hosting 90,000 fans at a 94-year-old venue became a logistical nightmare.

I was at that game last year. It was a mess logistically. You couldn't walk anywhere without bumping into each other. Biggest thing for me was we had to leave early to catch the train back down to the OC. Hated missing the AO fumble recovery.

I didn't know they capped the attendance at 65K. My shithawk fan sister wanted to come down this year again for this game. I told not to bother, i didn't want to bother with those crowds again. Now I wish I would have had her come down.

I paid over $400 for each ticket on Stubhub, there were good seats though. I wonder how many fans were turned off like I was by the experience at the coliseum. It is so much more comfortable sitting in my Lazy Boy with my big screen and 7.2 surround sound. Plus the fridge and bathroom are just steps away and the price of drinks is very affordable. I just have to make sure not to confuse the those two previously mentioned rooms.