Football Outsiders: WR is Rams' biggest weakness/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Football Outsiders: Wide receiver is Rams' biggest weakness
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...siders-wide-receiver-is-rams-biggest-weakness

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In the run-up to this year's NFL draft, it wasn't hard to see how the mock draft community viewed the St. Louis Rams and their needs.

In most mock drafts, the Rams were pegged to go one of two ways: wide receiver or offensive line. Sure, there were occasional exceptions, but for the most part those two positions were at the fingertips of most reputable draft analysts.

On Tuesday, Vince Verhei, of Football Outsiders unveiled his list of the biggest weaknesses for the teams in the NFC West division. Verhei pointed to the offensive line for the Arizona Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks and linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers. But instead of choosing the offensive line for the Rams, door No. 2 and wide receiver was the choice.

As Verhei pointed out, the Rams don't have a wide receiver with 50 receptions or 800 receiving yards in their career and only Kenny Britt has really been consistently close to those marks. In fact, Rams receivers were second-worst in the NFL in terms of production last year, trailing only the Kansas City Chiefs. So a reasonable argument can be made that the Rams do indeed still have a big hole at the position.

Of course, one could also logically point to a lack of health and talent at quarterback and the Rams' run-heavy approach as reasons for the lack of production. Britt returned on a two-year deal and Brian Quick is expected back from a serious shoulder injury. Both flashed big-play ability in 2014 but it remains to be seen if either can stay healthy enough and rise to the level of a true No. 1 receiver. That seems to be what the Rams are still lacking.

But really, when looking closer at the biggest questions on the roster, offensive line still ranks at the top for me. While a top receiver would be more than welcome, it's important to note that what the Rams want to be offensively doesn't require a a top receiver as much as it does a powerful offensive line.

Even after a draft in which they used four picks on the offensive line, it's hard to look at the group the team has in place and feel like it's a group ready to run over opponents around the league. Even the two returning pieces, left tackle Greg Robinson and guard Rodger Saffold, come with major questions. In Robinson's case, it's his undeveloped skills as a pass protector. For Saffold, it's his lengthy injury history, though in fairness, he made it through last season mostly healthy.

Beyond that duo, the Rams look like they'll be leaning on completely unproven players at the other three spots. A competition among Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney and Tim Barnes at center along with rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown at right tackle and guard, respectively.

While a good argument can be made for either receiver or offensive line as the team's biggest weakness right now, it's the front five that figures to draw the most scrutiny as the Rams attempt to bring together so many young pieces in the coming months.

Moostache

Rookie
IF Quick comes back on the same ascendency he was on last year....
IF Britt builds off of a solid first year and establishes a connection with Foles...
IF Austin is actually used on more crossing routes and "pick" plays to get him the ball in motion and past the LOS...
IF Bailey can stay clean and adequately man the slot...

THEN I don't think the Rams biggest concern as a "ground and pound" offense is the WR corp...it is STILL the OL unless Havenstein and Co. turn into the maulers that are purported to be!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nick accurately points to the problems with QB health as a good reason the Rams passing attack languished last year.

He is wrong, however, about the Rams taking a "run heavy" appraoch. They passed more than they ran... and by a fairly wide margin.

IMO, he's right about the Rams not necessarily needing a "#1 WR". They don't need one IF they are able to execute on the ground attack with road graders.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Pretty much everyone on the O has question marks, OL, QB, WRs. We're fine at RB though no matter how long Gurley takes.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Quit reading anything by Wagoner "16 days ago", and Just from the Title I can tell he's 'Talking out of his ass AGAIN! The O-Line is our weakest point until proven otherwise!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are some questions about receivers, but some of them show good potential. It is so difficult to evaluate them with the last two years of QB play. This year will be very telling as to where the team is at WR, IMO.

If the Rams running game takes off then the pressure should be off of the receivers. They should be able to shine in a role that puts less attention on them. The offense is supposed to be less complex too, so again there should be less pressure on them as the focus of the offense.

How a fan looks at the WR corps right now is all dependent on their outlook, positive or negative. On the negative side Quick has had a major shoulder injury, Britt is signed or only two years, Bailey has not had a full season of consistent play yet, Tavon is a glorified kick returner. Looks bleak from that point of view.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think it's way too early to start calling these guys a weakness especially when all they've had since a majority of them have gotten here was Davis, Clemens, Hill.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I will take the "wait and see" approach....At least every concern, except wr was addressed. And I believe in Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, and Sted Bailey.....hell, Cook & Kendricks aint bad either....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
At this point, this seems like just another prime example of Wagoner is still a little raw over the Rams failure to draft Sammy Watkins LAST YEAR. He's pounded that drum the since prior to last year's draft, and again wanted them to jump on the WR pick at #10 this year. Since they chose to go in a different direction both time, has takes shots at the organization every chance he gets when the subject of WRs comes up. When he interjects his opinion to these type of pieces, he has "Bernie-wannabe" written all over him.

Albeit with question marks surrounding it, IMO, this WR unit is one of the more under rated groups on the roster. Assuming Quick is healthy, Britt settles in, Bailey continues to develop and Austin finally figures out what it takes to be an NFL WR, the potential (I know, there's that word again) for this group to be quite good is there.

Add to it an NFL calber starting QB, there is no reaon to think that this unit won't be very productive. And by productive, I mean make plays when they are asked to. I still don't get hung up on the labels of who's the #1WR, etc...... I don't think any of them are going to light up the FF points week in and week out. But they should be very good across the board, with each one of hem bringing a different skillset to the mix.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, are we sure Wagner isn't related to RFIP?? Was it him that was clamoring for the sexy WR every year in the draft or do I have the wrong guy.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point, this seems like just another prime example of Wagoner is still a little raw over the Rams failure to draft Sammy Watkins LAST YEAR.

I don't get this... and don't feel it adds value to this fine board.

Wagoner is butt hurt over not drafting Watkins... Thomas is butt hurt over not being told about the trade... c'mon, guys.

Maybe... just maybe... these are their opinions based on more access than most of us here will ever get.

I'm all for homerism.. but, lately, it seems these guys get labeled "butt hurt" if they say anything other than the Rams are going to the Super Bowl.

Some objectivity and allowing for others opinions? Maybe?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
To be clear, this opinion is Football Outsiders, not Wagoner. He made it clear that he thinks the OL is the Rams biggest weakness.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
IF Quick comes back on the same ascendency he was on last year....
IF Britt builds off of a solid first year and establishes a connection with Foles...
IF Austin is actually used on more crossing routes and "pick" plays to get him the ball in motion and past the LOS...
IF Bailey can stay clean and adequately man the slot...

THEN I don't think the Rams biggest concern as a "ground and pound" offense is the WR corp...it is STILL the OL unless Havenstein and Co. turn into the maulers that are purported to be!

One more IF would have made a 5th.

…..

Legend
I disagree that WR is our biggest weakness. Furthermore, since we're a running team, it lessens the need for a stout receiving crew.

Our biggest weakness until we learn what we have with the youngsters (including Barrett Jones)... is OL and I dont think its even close.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I tend to look @ receivers in a larger view than most. I always include TE's, RB's & H-backs/FB's in that cadre. Snead brought back UFA's veteran TE Lance Kendricks & Kenny Britt.

Our RB's have some good ball catchers Cunningham, Pead & Watts have shown good hands catching the ball out of the backfield plus Mason hands just needs to be exercised some. H-Backs Cory Harkey & Alex Bayer also show'd they can catch the ball pretty good. TE/WR Jared Cook has a great wingspan down the middle.

WR's Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick & Chris Givens are not rookies any longer either. Rams also drafted a nice large WR in Bud Sasser too.
#15 total there ....That's a good amount of talent & the quantity is also very good !

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't get this... and don't feel it adds value to this fine board.

Wagoner is butt hurt over not drafting Watkins... Thomas is butt hurt over not being told about the trade... c'mon, guys.

Maybe... just maybe... these are their opinions based on more access than most of us here will ever get.

I'm all for homerism.. but, lately, it seems these guys get labeled "butt hurt" if they say anything other than the Rams are going to the Super Bowl.

Some objectivity and allowing for others opinions? Maybe?
You are free to NOT read what MY opinon is!!!

I have been one of Wagoner's biggest supporters, until he decided to become a "bernie- wannabe" with his video blogs, and his part time GM role. When he sticks to reporting the what, when, who about the Rams, he is quite informative. But when he wanders off into opinion pieces about what they SHOULD do, he loses me.

As to the particular topic of Wide Reveivers, he has been very vocal about his displeasure that they didn't draft Watkins. And as I mentioned, he points out what he percieves are issues with the group.

As far as them having access to more information, that was true when Wagoner worked for the Rams, Not the case anymore. And, Thomas' "access" has been well documented on here. Some of "us" lil ole posters, have as much access is some regards as they do.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
To be clear, this opinion is Football Outsiders, not Wagoner. He made it clear that he thinks the OL is the Rams biggest weakness.
thats a fair point, but that doesn't explain the use of the article and the use of the title when he turned it into his.

nighttrain

Legend
Nick accurately points to the problems with QB health as a good reason the Rams passing attack languished last year.

He is wrong, however, about the Rams taking a "run heavy" appraoch. They passed more than they ran... and by a fairly wide margin.

IMO, he's right about the Rams not necessarily needing a "#1 WR". They don't need one IF they are able to execute on the ground attack with road graders.
passed more than they ran alright, but i sure hope we don't see Davis or Shannon ever again. The way they look on paper presently i'm very pleased.
Let the games begin!
train

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I tend to look @ receivers in a larger view than most. I always include TE's, RB's & H-backs/FB's in that cadre. Snead brought back UFA's veteran TE Lance Kendricks & Kenny Britt.

Our RB's have some good ball catchers Cunningham, Pead & Watts have shown good hands catching the ball out of the backfield plus Mason hands just needs to be exercised some. H-Backs Cory Harkey & Alex Bayer also show'd they can catch the ball pretty good. TE/WR Jared Cook has a great wingspan down the middle.

WR's Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick & Chris Givens are not rookies any longer either. Rams also drafted a nice large WR in Bud Sasser too.
#15 total there ....That's a good amount of talent & the quantity is also very good !

Very well stated, Bonifay.

When all our various receiving weapons are considered as a group, they are pretty danged impressive.

An imaginative OC and a QB such as Foles should be able to give opposing D's fits. Particularly with an improved OL and either Gurley or Mason in the backfield.

WR is not a big team need, if you ask me.

Our true team needs are now very few.

Which is the primary reason that I expect so much better results from our coaching staff this year.

Playoffs, Baby!

nighttrain

Legend
Rams43 said;
Very well stated, Bonifay.

When all our various receiving weapons are considered as a group, they are pretty danged impressive.

An imaginative OC and a QB such as Foles should be able to give opposing D's fits. Particularly with an improved OL and either Gurley or Mason in the backfield.

WR is not a big team need, if you ask me.

Our true team needs are now very few.

Which is the primary reason that I expect so much better results from our coaching staff this year.

Playoffs, Baby!

:cool:
train