Football Outsiders: No change in Rams' record: 6-10/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
That would be why I said "he's not more often than he is." It's also one of the reasons I haven't been all in on JJ either.

I still think JJ's the best we have though. Some might think Gaines is but despite his overall good play last year, he had trouble against bigger guys. He'll always have trouble against bigger guys and that will only get worse as big tall WRs are the flavor of the month. They'll probably be the flavor of the next decade or ten. You can't coach height.
When healthy I think Tru is t he best. I like Janoris but just gambles to much.

Alan

Legend
lockdnram21 liking Tru:
When healthy I think Tru is t he best. I like Janoris but just gambles to much.
I gathered that from your earlier comment. It's certainly possible that Tru hadn't recovered fully from his injury but the types of mistakes he was making last year didn't appear to be the result of a lack of speed or cutting ability but who knows what effects an MCL sprain can cause. I did like his play the year before. Let's hope that was the reason for his struggles because he sure didn't look good last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is absolutely nothing in his post that would lead me to believe that he's butt hurt so I'm not buying that everyone knew that except for one soul. Not only was he posting someone else's thoughts, he pointedly disagreed with them and still took the blame for it. If you don't think people ignored that and used it to further their own Bernie, JT, Nick Waggoner, local reporters bashing agenda you probably need to read this whole thread again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onfw8-jOGls

This cartoon reminds me of the Nick Foles reaction thread. Different times that's for sure.

i'm wondering why you liked my post then tore it to shreds here.

and yes wagoner will eternally be butthurt about watkins. he's obsessed with THE #1 WR. the rams receivers were open plenty but career backup qbs couldn't get it done.

and haha at mr magoo. i used to call bulger that in 03. he used to bumble his way through games and somehow the rams would win. lovie's d was palying lights out that year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Totally agree with this. Those first 5 games are brutal, four playoffs teams, and will be the season bell cow if the Rams are finally ready for prime time. Can't start slow against Seattle at home, have to win that game if things are going to be different this season. Or at least beat Pitt, and steal an away upset at GB or AZ. Need to come out 2-3 at worst if we want to finish 9-7, and a 3-2 start means double-digit wins and playoffs.

I think a win week 1 will add that momentum this team needs, if we're going to beat them, this is the week.

PAT"s", plural? The guy misses one PAT in his life and now he's missing multiples? That's his only PAT miss of his career, he's at 98.9%. I understand he had a bad stretch and that clunker in Washington, but in a "horrible" year still hit 80% FGs. He's 82% on his career that includes a hell of a lot of 50+ attempts. Compare to Morten Anderson, Janikowski, whoever career rates, GZ is right up there or more accurate on FGs and PATs. He also is over 50% touchbacks on kickoffs (his 66.6 yds/kick average distance is #1 in the NFL). You said you were taking off your homer glasses but I think you should put them back on here and don't jump off the GZ bandwagon. I still love the kid, he's a lethal long range weapon and has a great career ahead, including the NFL record for longest FG at some point!

You misunderstood me, wasn't dissing GZ, I think we have the best kickers in the league, but GZ has had a few weeks where he does seem to be off, I know he had the flu for a couple of weeks which didn't help - my point about the PAT was, he shouldn't miss them. With the FGs, I know his 50+ successes are great, its that 30-40 yards which he misses that are painful, believe me I am still on the GZ bandwagon, I was just nit-picking the finer details ;)

Probably not a meaningful amount of points lost. Remember there's no big statistical correlation between penalty rates and performance. But yeah, cut out the obvious stupid penalties, play the game smart (which includes the right kinds of penalties).

I'm not sure, I'm sure if you look at the games we lost, I bet they're the ones with the highest yards penalised against the Rams...

Alan

Legend
kurtfaulk with this:
i'm wondering why you liked my post then tore it to shreds here.

and yes wagoner will eternally be butthurt about watkins. he's obsessed with THE #1 WR. the rams receivers were open plenty but career backup qbs couldn't get it done.

and haha at mr magoo. i used to call bulger that in 03. he used to bumble his way through games and somehow the rams would win. lovie's d was palying lights out that year.
My likes have nothing to do with whether I agree with what you or any other poster writes. If you're civil and I think you stated your argument well and you have the possibility of being correct I'll hit the like button. I make no claim that I'm "right" about any criticism I may have with someone I disagree with. I'm merely stating my opinion as is whoever I'm reading. I like when posters attempt to add a little something extra with a picture or a witty comment and that gets a like even if I disagree with their opinion. I'll also give a like sometimes just because I like the fact that you're participating in our community by posting your opinion.

I disagree with your contention but even if it was true that he's upset that we didn't draft a WR, I believe that you and others are reading his name at the top of an article and immediately start looking for something to prove your theory. Anything that you would normally just disagree with is now not just his take on something, it's an example of his hurt feelings. Most, if not all, of those positions he's taken on things happening with the Rams are positions that many of us share. Are we all butt hurt too? Sometimes all that animosity towards a writer ruins the whole article for me.

As PT mentioned in one of his posts, he and some of the other writers I mentioned might be a little negative and disillusioned with what they've seen the Ram organization do over the last 10 years or so but who isn't? While that disappointment might be responsible for some of their negativity, why is it they can't have their own views about things without being labeled as mentally disturbed, childish or whatever other pejorative is used?

I don't see the things you do with Bernie, Nick, JT, Gordon or any other local writer but I may just be oblivious to what's in front of my eyes. There is that chance but I can tell you one thing for sure, I don't like it when posters respond to what someone write's with incivility. You wouldn't talk like that to me so why is it OK to talk like that to someone else? I'm not asking that you or anyone else agrees with anything he says and I love hearing people explain why someone is full of shit. Especially if they articulate their disagreement well and talk about the content and not the poster/writer.

I'm sorry if I've gone overboard with my criticism and I meant nothing with that Mr Magoo cartoon except to introduce a little levity into the conversation. I value and respect your opinions on all things Ram but I find it hard to shut up when I see posters personalizing a post instead of just discussing the content. I've been burned on that score and participated in that myself in the past, much to my sorry and regret.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My likes have nothing to do with whether I agree with what you or any other poster writes. If you're civil and I think you stated your argument well and you have the possibility of being correct I'll hit the like button. I make no claim that I'm "right" about any criticism I may have with someone I disagree with. I'm merely stating my opinion as is whoever I'm reading. I like when posters attempt to add a little something extra with a picture or a witty comment and that gets a like even if I disagree with their opinion. I'll also give a like sometimes just because I like the fact that you're participating in our community by posting your opinion.

I disagree with your contention but even if it was true that he's upset that we didn't draft a WR, I believe that you and others are reading his name at the top of an article and immediately start looking for something to prove your theory. Anything that you would normally just disagree with is now not just his take on something, it's an example of his hurt feelings. Most, if not all, of those positions he's taken on things happening with the Rams are positions that many of us share. Are we all butt hurt too? Sometimes all that animosity towards a writer ruins the whole article for me.

As PT mentioned in one of his posts, he and some of the other writers I mentioned might be a little negative and disillusioned with what they've seen the Ram organization do over the last 10 years or so but who isn't? While that disappointment might be responsible for some of their negativity, why is it they can't have their own views about things without being labeled as mentally disturbed, childish or whatever other pejorative is used?

I don't see the things you do with Bernie, Nick, JT, Gordon or any other local writer but I may just be oblivious to what's in front of my eyes. There is that chance but I can tell you one thing for sure, I don't like it when posters respond to what someone write's with incivility. You wouldn't talk like that to me so why is it OK to talk like that to someone else? I'm not asking that you or anyone else agrees with anything he says and I love hearing people explain why someone is full of crap. Especially if they articulate their disagreement well and talk about the content and not the poster/writer.

I'm sorry if I've gone overboard with my criticism and I meant nothing with that Mr Magoo cartoon except to introduce a little levity into the conversation. I value and respect your opinions on all things Ram but I find it hard to shut up when I see posters personalizing a post instead of just discussing the content. I've been burned on that score and participated in that myself in the past, much to my sorry and regret.

Hmmm, I feel like you think you offended me. They couldn't be further from the truth. Trust me, I don't take any criticism of my posts to heart. Especially from a fine upstanding poster like yourself.

But talk bad about Sammy and I will be out for your blood. Oh wait, Sam got shipped away to the Eagles. Doesn't matter. I will defend him till the death.

Alan

Legend
kurtfaulk injecting a little humor:
Especially from a fine upstanding poster like yourself.
:LOL:

I appreciate that because it wasn't my intent but sometimes when I read what I've written I find that I sound like a pompous jerk on a soap box. I'll try and control those impulses a little better in the future.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:LOL:

I appreciate that because it wasn't my intent but sometimes when I read what I've written I find that I sound like a pompous jerk on a soap box. I'll try and control those impulses a little better in the future.

All good man. When I read your posts you sound like the exact opposite of pompous jerk.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I don't see the things you do with Bernie, Nick, JT, Gordon or any other local writer but I may just be oblivious to what's in front of my eyes. There is that chance but I can tell you one thing for sure, I don't like it when posters respond to what someone write's with incivility. You wouldn't talk like that to me so why is it OK to talk like that to someone else? I'm not asking that you or anyone else agrees with anything he says and I love hearing people explain why someone is full of crap. Especially if they articulate their disagreement well and talk about the content and not the poster/writer.

Well said. The attacks towards any writer with a less than glowing article is getting really old. Not every observation or opinion is the result of "butthurt feelings." It is still the team who haven't had a winning season in year, much to our dismay. Enthusiasm from all but the most optimistic of fans is going to have to be earned on the field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, about McLeod and Jenkins...if both of them had their places taken by Joyner and Gaines respectively, I wouldn't shed a tear at all. Jenkins gambles way too much (and says far too many stupid things for my liking: Aaron Hernandez, anyone?), and McLeod can barely cover at all. He's a strong safety playing free safety. While he may say that he likes getting picks more than dishing out hits, he does the latter far more often than the former. He just doesn't have the instincts that I want a free safety to have. The free safety that I'd like to have doesn't even have to get a ton of picks; he just has to be in position and break up passes. I'd be happy with just that.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd like two things with respect to those two:

I'd like JJ to stop gambling with the rent money. If he's got no help over the top, DONT GAMBLE.

I'd like Williams to put McLeod in better positions to be successful. I think too often, McLeod is where he should be, but not where the play needs him to be and as fans we ding him for what should be on Williams.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Football Outsiders and PFF are just two different sides of the same turd in my book.
Haha yeah even more so since FO sold out to ESPN. As Garfield used to say, anyone that gives money to ESPN for "insider" stuff should be dragged out into the street and shot... (but maybe it's not politically correct to say such things now.)

A huge, key difference between the two is FO is a math-based methodology whereas PFF is some moron "grading" a player on every given play (or if they are unsure what grade to give, they bring together 3 morons to make it "accurate" methodology).

So both might be turds, but probably not the same turd. Obviously I prefer FO as it doesn't have the subjective bias and obvious lack of information errors. I like that FO evaluates a team's offensive line as a unit for example, as opposed to trying to assign blame for one guy for missing/making a block when you don't even know who's assignment it was. But math-based analysis has its limits, too.

Alan

Legend
Memento in tune with my thoughts:
Well, about McLeod and Jenkins...if both of them had their places taken by Joyner and Gaines respectively, I wouldn't shed a tear at all. Jenkins gambles way too much (and says far too many stupid things for my liking: Aaron Hernandez, anyone?), and McLeod can barely cover at all. He's a strong safety playing free safety. While he may say that he likes getting picks more than dishing out hits, he does the latter far more often than the former. He just doesn't have the instincts that I want a free safety to have. The free safety that I'd like to have doesn't even have to get a ton of picks; he just has to be in position and break up passes. I'd be happy with just that.
Every word you said is gold to me. (y)

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
They have Arz finishing in last place???? Unless they are counting on both their QBs not playing Arz is absolutley the team to beat.
If the Rams gel this year, which means if
1 The OL plays very well
2 Gurley starts playing by mid november and plays well
3 The new OC can coach like you would expect an NFL caliber OC can coach. Which would be a 10,000% improvement over last year
4 The D moves up another notch
5 Foles stays healthy
Then there is no reason why the Rams could not go all the way.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have Arz finishing in last place???? Unless they are counting on both their QBs not playing Arz is absolutley the team to beat.
If the Rams gel this year, which means if
1 The OL plays very well
2 Gurley starts playing by mid november and plays well
3 The new OC can coach like you would expect an NFL caliber OC can coach. Which would be a 10,000% improvement over last year
4 The D moves up another notch
5 Foles stays healthy
Then there is no reason why the Rams could not go all the way.
Only 5 things have to happen? :cool:

Alan

Legend
Mackeyser not liking the strategy:
I'd like Williams to put McLeod in better positions to be successful. I think too often, McLeod is where he should be, but not where the play needs him to be and as fans we ding him for what should be on Williams.
I thought Williams liked to play more "knock'em down on the line" physical man coverage?

That's an interesting take on the problem Mac. My vision isn't good enough for me to ascertain something like that so that thought never entered my head. Can you expand on that?