Football Outsiders Adjusted Interceptions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/adjusted-interceptions-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... tions-2012</a>

Sam is near the top of the list in Adjusted Int%. It's interesting looking at all the data. According to this, on top of Luck's 18 ints, he had 14 more that were dropped.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
excellent find. thx for posting. result are certainly interesting... Kolb and Gabbert are certainly surprises at the top of the list.

jap

Legend
jrry32 said:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/adjusted-interceptions-2012

Sam is near the top of the list in Adjusted Int%. It's interesting looking at all the data. According to this, on top of Luck's 18 ints, he had 14 more that were dropped.

All this with average protection at best Sam received last season. Imagine what his numbers could be like with a monster line, Sam's sheer accuracy, natural intelligence, and with real weapons at receiver spots?

bluecoconuts

Legend
interference said:
excellent find. thx for posting. result are certainly interesting... Kolb and Gabbert are certainly surprises at the top of the list.

Yeah it is. Good signs for Bradford though, the last two years he was one of the last QB's to throw a pick as well if I remember correctly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
All this with average protection at best Sam received last season. Imagine what his numbers could be like with a monster line, Sam's sheer accuracy, natural intelligence, and with real weapons at receiver spots?

Yep.

With all the critique of Bradford... and some IS valid... One thing is for sure - he's smart with the ball. Rarely does he throw a bonehead interception.

That tells me the game is not moving faster than his brain can process.

Give him some open targets (playmakers) and he'll hit them.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
interference said:

Yes, but Sam threw 3 times as many passes as Kolb, and twice as many as Gabbert. Look at SB's adjusted #'s compared to Rogers for example. Food for thought.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Zero dropped picks in 544 attempts? Yeah, that Bradford is really reckless with the football. :roll: I remember two of them very well, but now I'm going to have to go back and look at all of them. Perhaps I'll video it if anyone cares.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Cool find. Thats my boy...Didn't need this list to know this though. Watching on Sundays and comparing to other QBs it was evident with Sam's accuracy and smart decision making (when NOT to throw, and throw aways) that he would have a solid percentage.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The Dude said:
Zero dropped picks in 544 attempts? Yeah, that Bradford is really reckless with the football. :roll: I remember two of them very well, but now I'm going to have to go back and look at all of them. Perhaps I'll video it if anyone cares.

Off the top of my head I can remember 2 jump balls to Quick that got picked. The first one we were losing like 45 to 7 to the Patriots too, and Sam was just trying to get him a ball. The second he got crushed and Patrick Peterson made a great play on it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Then one could make the argument that Sam was being over cautious and does not have the picks because his confidence wasn't strong enough to try and fit in more tough throws. It's really hard to tell from the couch I was sitting on! :sly:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Dude said:

Yea, I did too. I remember Manny Lawson getting his hands on a couple but I don't think they counted those because he had to get way up there in the air. However, on pure recall so I could be wrong, I thought that he had a dropped int on that last drive against Buffalo...maybe Scott or Wilson(one of their safeties).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramhusker said:
Then one could make the argument that Sam was being over cautious and does not have the picks because his confidence wasn't strong enough to try and fit in more tough throws. It's really hard to tell from the couch I was sitting on! :sly:

Lol.

Yea. I remember that. I did criticize Sam for that at the start of 2012 but he really improved on that as the season went by. I was laughing in some of the gameday threads because the people that chastised him every week for being "too cautious" were always the first to jump on him for the interceptions that came on plays where he tried to squeeze it in a tight window or took a shot down the field.

It always amazed me how someone could say on Wednesday that Sam needs to try and squeeze the ball into tight windows or take more shots down the field even if the WR isn't open then scoff at me when I tell them that if you squeeze it in, it might get picked or the WR may fail to go up and get the ball and it will get picked if you try those throws. Then come Sunday, our QB does exactly what they're begging for and the one time it gets picked, they go off on how he's terrible and should be benched.

Can't win with some people. :lol:
(BTW, I'm not accusing you Husker, I can tell your post was tongue in cheek)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
jrry32 said:
Ramhusker said:

Lol.

Yea. I remember that. I did criticize Sam for that at the start of 2012 but he really improved on that as the season went by. I was laughing in some of the gameday threads because the people that chastised him every week for being "too cautious" were always the first to jump on him for the interceptions that came on plays where he tried to squeeze it in a tight window or took a shot down the field.

It always amazed me how someone could say on Wednesday that Sam needs to try and squeeze the ball into tight windows or take more shots down the field even if the WR isn't open then scoff at me when I tell them that if you squeeze it in, it might get picked or the WR may fail to go up and get the ball and it will get picked if you try those throws. Then come Sunday, our QB does exactly what they're begging for and the one time it gets picked, they go off on how he's terrible and should be benched.

Can't win with some people. :lol:
(BTW, I'm not accusing you Husker, I can tell your post was tongue in cheek)

Yeah man, Sam can't win. He must win 3 Super Bowls in a row to prove himself. Tongue in cheek as it is, I get the feeling that Sam has been told more often than not that he shouldn't try and put the team on his shoulders and just manage the game, be smart, and just not make the mistakes to lose the game. (Joe Flacco-ish) I'm thinking this season may be a little different. Maybe the "cat out of the bag" time. :dancin: :dancin: :dancin:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since it has already come up on another site, I'm sure it will be mentioned somewhere(maybe not here but somewhere) that Bradford only is so good at avoiding ints because he checks down a lot and doesn't take chances. I'd like to put out that fire before it starts.

The post I made on the other board in response to that argument:
If we were back in 2010, you could make that case against Bradford. Then again, much of that was the system being run.

Bradford's low TD% has much more to do with the pitiful supporting cast than him being gun shy.

In fact, his 11.3 yards per completion rank better than Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers and Andy Dalton.

I'd also like to point out that 10% of Bradford's attempts were on passes over 20 yards. Tom Brady is nearly identical in that stat at 9.9%. Peyton Manning is slightly better at 10.3%. Aaron Rodgers is worse at 8.7%. And Robert Griffin is worse at 8.4%.

I don't see many people claiming those guys only avoided turnovers because they check down too much and are gun shy.

But hey, it's hard to shake a reputation when you get one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
jrry32 said:
The Dude said:

Yea, I did too. I remember Manny Lawson getting his hands on a couple but I don't think they counted those because he had to get way up there in the air. However, on pure recall so I could be wrong, I thought that he had a dropped int on that last drive against Buffalo...maybe Scott or Wilson(one of their safeties).

I thought the announcers said the same guy dropped two in that game.