Food For Thought

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I understand this is a bit of a reach, and I'm not completely able to articulate my thinking, but a thought crossed my mind this morning...

Can a top QB (potentially Goff) and RB (Gurley) coexist, and do those pairings necessarily equate to playoff success/championships? Does one suffer and take a back seat to the other?

Take a look at the last 10 years of Super Bowl champions:
Broncos
Patriots
Seahawks
Ravens
Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers
Giants
Colts

Is it merely a coincidence that each champion only had either a top QB OR a top RB, not BOTH? What do teams struggle with that have BOTH a top QB AND top RB that keeps them from getting over the top? Is there no correlation?

What approach to our offense would equate to the most success as a team? Would we be best off with Gurley not earning a rushing title? The last team to win a championship the same year as having a rushing champion was the Denver Broncos in 1998 with Terrell Davis. Limiting him to under 300 carries? How many times should Goff be airing it out? Is there a healthy balance between the two, or would you take it game by game?

Teams that enjoyed a top QB and RB in recent years have had limited success in the playoffs (DAL, PIT).

____________________________________________________________________________________

This may be a bit of a reach, but I'm curious as to what your approach would be to our offense and harmoniously featuring the talents of both Goff and Gurley.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Two names for you. Warner and Faulk.

Also,
Russell and Lynch were top tier QB and RBs
Ravens had Flacco and Rice.

I get what you are saying though. In more recent years it has been mostly QB play that gets it done. THAT is why the Rams made this trade. Gurley should be a very nice compliment to our offense, not necessarily the focus. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if it were a problem - whichever QB the Rams draft won't be a TOP QB for a few seasons. And let's face it - RBs life at the top usually is fairly short. There might be a few seasons of overlap, but I wouldn't be panicking about it quite yet.

And as Faceplant points out, there can be success.

Also, Fisher is not going to be focusing on a QB throwing for 4000 yards, but being efficient when he does throw. It's still going to be a grind it out offense - just with more third down conversions and the occasional long pass.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Go to youtube.com and enter: filmroom episode 11: Todd Gurly and Tavon Austin. It about an eight minute clip describing how the Rams run their offense using the two of them. Quite outstanding. Enter in an accurate QB and you can imagine how good the Rams offense can become. A "must see" clip.

After you watch and understand what the Rams want to do you will see just how close the Rams are to being true condenters.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Wilson and Lynch, Roethlisburger and Bell, Rodgers and Lacey(possible), Romo and Murray. But it's a little early to predict anything with our qb, who ever he might be.;)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Broncos- they didn't have a top QB or RB last year, and they were really hoping Montee Ball would be that guy.

Patriots- they never have had a top RB, except for Corey Dillon a 3 years.

shitchickens- I don't want to give this team credit. Fuck em.

Ravens- Joe Flacco and Ray Rice are really good with the latter a Pro Bowler at the time.

Giants- Eli Manning is a top QB, and Brandon Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw/Derrick Ward was lethal.

Packers- the year they won the SB, Brandon Jackson had his best season

Saints- I get everyone faps over Drew Brees, but this was also the year both Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush had their best seasons

Steelers- The Bus/Willie Parker combo? Good night.

Colts- Joseph Addai had over 1000 yards that season too.

Maybe these teams didn't have a "top" RB and QB but they all had good ones at both spots. The Rams will be lucky if both the QB AND Todd Gurely will be tops. That'll mean playoffs for years.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I think a better way to look at this is why didn't teams with a top end RB try harder to upgrade their QB position like the Rams are.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know if you were thinking back to the mid 80's......when the Rams had THE premier RB in the NFL and couldn't find a QB until they traded with Houston for Everett. Then E.D. demanded another raise and was traded. I always thought it was his way of fighting the possibility he would become less relevant with a young stud QB. Perhaps it was just ED. After all he did that more than once and long before the Rams got Everett.

But either way if you're viewing this through player's ego, I don't think we'll have a problem there. Gurley will have 1 NFL season on the new QB. Despite it being one helluva season, not enough time to develop the "I've been the Rams offense for years" thing. Plus I don't think he's got that me-me attitude.

As always, we'll see. But I'd rather have a premier RB AND a premier QB than one or the other. Now if we could get a premier WR or 2........