Food For Thought - Defensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
So I was listening to a podcast today and the point was brought up that almost every team places their best pass rusher on the right side of the defensive line (left side of the OL). Why is this the case?

Think about it, most teams' best offensive lineman is their LT which means you're putting the best pass rusher against the best o-lineman. The right side of the OL is usually weaker so why not place your elite pass rusher over there (e.g. J.J. Watt).

There are two arguments I could think of to explain this, but neither is particularly strong:

1. The left side is the QB's blind side so you would want your best pass rusher coming from behind so the QB would never see it coming. ---- Wouldn't you rather have your pass rush going right into the QB's face to intimidate them? If nothing else this would cause them to get flustered or move around which would lead to another player getting a sack.
  2. Most offenses usually run more to the right side and will sometimes put an extra blocker on that side (TE) so you want a bigger DE to play on the left side of the DL (right side of the OL) to eat up these blocks. ---- This really depends on the truth of whether or not teams run more to the right side anymore, but to me it sure seems like a pretty minute point. It's pretty much a given that the right OT's in the NFL are not as good as the left OT's, so again, why not put the best pass rusher going up against the right OT's?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this so chime in please.

jjab360

Legend
I think both of the arguments you posted are stronger than you think. Yes, you want your best pass rusher rushing your opponents' blind side because it will be harder for them to escape if they don't see it coming and it will also be easier to force the fumble. Also, most of the best pass rushers are on the smaller side so you don't typically want your opponent to be running straight at them with an extra TE for most of the game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know that it always happens, Deacon Jones played L- DE!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think you want the best pass rushers you can get period. Of your options, I'll give more credence to #1, because protecting the blind side of the QB is critical, and so is getting there to force a strip/sack. Then there's also the fact that some guys are natural fits on one side or the other. Chris Long doesn't like playing RDE, and Quinn isn't as effective with his moves on the left. If you can get a guy who can play both sides effectively (ala Leonard Little), then you've got it kicked.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you want the best pass rushers you can get period. Of your options, I'll give more credence to #1, because protecting the blind side of the QB is critical, and so is getting there to force a strip/sack. Then there's also the fact that some guys are natural fits on one side or the other. Chris Long doesn't like playing RDE, and Quinn isn't as effective with his moves on the left. If you can get a guy who can play both sides effectively (ala Leonard Little), then you've got it kicked.

You've got a point on player qualities I suppose. But still, the RT's are nowhere near as good as the LT's in the NFL. It would seem to me that Quinn would be steam rolling (to an even greater extent) if he went against RT's every week as opposed to some of the more talented LT's. I'm not up to par on my players throughout the league, but it seems like most of the common OL names aren't RT's.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
The way I look at it is would you rather have your pass rusher getting pressure on the QB a lower percentage of the time for chance of a strip sack (rushing from the RDE position), or would you rather have him getting pressure on the QB a higher percentage of the time along with pressure in the QB's face leading to a possible strip sack or bad throw by the QB due to seeing pressure (rushing from the LDE position)?

Obviously the answer is all of the above, but you get my point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You've got a point on player qualities I suppose. But still, the RT's are nowhere near as good as the LT's in the NFL. It would seem to me that Quinn would be steam rolling (to an even greater extent) if he went against RT's every week as opposed to some of the more talented LT's. I'm not up to par on my players throughout the league, but it seems like most of the common OL names aren't RT's.
But, since you're saying LT's are better than RT's, then wouldn't teams run plays away from him and expose a greater weakness on the other side?

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
I think both of the arguments you posted are stronger than you think.

They could be.

Yes, you want your best pass rusher rushing your opponents' blind side because it will be harder for them to escape if they don't see it coming and it will also be easier to force the fumble.

Not sold on that really. I would argue pressure in their face would make for more bad decisions, and if they do try to escape then you have others waiting to wrap up the QB.

Also, most of the best pass rushers are on the smaller side so you don't typically want your opponent to be running straight at them with an extra TE for most of the game.

They could be, but again, it makes me question the validity of the statement "most teams run to the right more often." Is this even true anymore? I'd like to see a stat to prove it, otherwise it's kind of just hokum that someone made up.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
But, since you're saying LT's are better than RT's, then wouldn't teams run plays away from him and expose a greater weakness on the other side?

I assume "him" in this scenario is the pass rusher? What's the difference if a team puts a TE on the left and doubles the RDE? I think teams will always try to run away from the best pass rusher in whatever scenario you bring up. This discussion really relates more to passing situations than it does running situations.

jjab360

Legend
Just because LT's are typically better pass blockers than RT's doesn't mean they're better run blockers. Take the team we just went up against for example. Kalil is probably the better pass blocker but there's no question that Loadholt is the better run blocker.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Just because LT's are typically better pass blockers than RT's doesn't mean they're better run blockers. Take the team we just went up against for example. Kalil is probably the better pass blocker but there's no question that Loadholt is the better run blocker.

Would you say that's the case with most teams around the league though? Are RT's better run blockers than LT's? Obviously they're known for being better at that and they're supposed to be, but are they?

I guess you guys have brought up the main argument of why not to play the elite pass rusher on the left side of the DL all the time, but in obvious passing situations it would seem beneficial to the defense to play the best pass rusher from the LDE position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I assume "him" in this scenario is the pass rusher? What's the difference if a team puts a TE on the left and doubles the RDE? I think teams will always try to run away from the best pass rusher in whatever scenario you bring up. This discussion really relates more to passing situations than it does running situations.
Then I have to refer to my original post. Blind side, and natural fit.

fearsomefour

Legend
Most teams would take a very good pass blocking LT even if he is just a so so run blocker. Blindside rush leads to fumbles and all sorts of trouble in the passing game.
I would think a RT could have a little more leeway as a pass blocker particularly if he is a good run blocker.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Leonard Little and Kevin Carter both played LDE...Both were pretty darned good pass rushers.