Foles remains behind on the Rams' QB depth chart; Fisher discusses Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Zach Berman, STAFF WRITER

111615_nick-foles_1200.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- Nick Foles is not in the lead to be the Los Angeles Rams’ starting quarterback, and he remains behind Case Keenum – and in competition with one or two quarterbacks that coach Jeff Fisher plans on acquiring.

“When the season was over, I made the statement that Case is our starter and Nick and Sean (Mannion) are going to have a chance to come in and compete,” Fisher said. “That’s where we are. There’s probably going to be another one in camp. …That’s a position we look to upgrade.”

An ESPN report earlier this month indicated that the Eagles are interested in re-acquiring Foles, who coach Doug Pederson coached as a rookie.

Foles came to the Rams last season in a deal for Sam Bradford. The Rams also acquired a 2016 second-round pick. Foles signed a two-year contract extension worth $24.5 million before the season. He started 11 games and finished with seven touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

“Nick got, I don’t want to say overwhelmed, but I have a feeling when guys get into their third or fourth year, sometimes they need a deep breath,” Fisher said. “Because there’s so much pressure on the quarterback position, not [just] on Sundays, but on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays to be perfect. I think that kind of affected Nick a little bit. Nick’s a starter in this league. He can play in this league. He’s proven that. But when you get in a slump, you’ve got to go to the bullpen.”

Bradford had a better season than Foles. He started 14 games and threw for 3,725 yards with 19 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Fisher, who coached Bradford for three seasons and took the Rams job in part because of Bradford, followed his former quarterback from afar. He texted Bradford good luck on occasions and emphasized the respect he has for Bradford.

“I thought he played well. He made plays. He dealt with injuries and things like that, defensively,” Fisher said. “I was really happy. Happy he started the first game and finished, because that was our concern – not he wouldn’t, but a concern in the event he didn’t.”

zberman@phillynews.com

Debacled

Starter
Would you trade a 8m cap hit for a mid-high 2nd round pick?

I would. Because it isn't my money:icare:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder if Fisher is fluffing Folds up to other teams in hopes of getting something for him. I would hope that even if Mannion needed his year, that next season he could hold down the backup job if the Rams were to come away with another project QB.

Where does Mannion fit in if, they get a high first round QB or even a second round guy? Keenum would start, Folesbacks up, n e w guy learns and Mannion gets released. With Foles gone, he is back to third string and still becomes the backup, once they think he is ready. Foles does not fit. They want to make it seem like they still want him to raise his trade value. Thing is that it would be tough to erase just how bad he actually played last year.