Foles Pleased with Fast Start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Miles Simmons

OXNARD, Calif. -- It had been a while since Nick Foles saw game action. The quarterback suffered a collarbone injury in November of last year with the Eagles and didn’t play for the remainder of the season.

And so Friday’s matchup with the Raiders was notable for St. Louis’ new signal-caller for a number of reasons.

“I was just excited to be out there as a Ram,” Foles said. “It’s really my first time in the uniform, so it’s just fun being back out there. I was injured Week 9 last year, so [it was good] just to be out there, get hit a few times, and move the ball downfield, play with these guys.”

Foles and the offense got off to a fast start with two big plays. The QB found tight end Lance Kendricks on the right side of the field with a floating pass into the bread basket for a 26-yard gain. Then Foles hit Tavon Austinwith a screen pass on the left side that the wide receiver took down the field 35 yards to set up a field goal.

“Nick made a real good read, perfect throw to Lance to start the game,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “We were happy as far as that was concerned.”

“It was great to have a fast start, move the ball down field,” Foles said. “We were executing, converting on third down, getting on to first downs.”The quarterback also had praise for the Rams rookie offensive linemen on the right side --Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown -- saying he thought they did a great job.

“I thought we moved the ball well when they were in,” Foles said. “Really, they’ve come a long way from when they first got here. And when they’re in the huddle, you see in their eyes that they’re ready to go.”

Foles did express some minor disappointment over one play, however. On 3rd-and-4 from the Oakland 13, the quarterback fired a pass to tight end Jared Cook on the left side of the end zone that was just out of reach and fell incomplete.

“Right there, I wanted to give a shot to Cookie, but we’d like to get touchdowns,” Foles said.

While the Raiders did well to cover the tight end on the play, the quarterback is holding himself to a higher standard.

“I’ve got to do a better job of giving Cookie a better ball,” Foles said. “He’s such a big target, [I’ve] just got to give him something he can really work with. But he almost came down with it because he’s a talented guy.”

Because of factors like that, Foles said the preseason is invaluable because of its benefits for everyone.

“You really like these games for the reason that you get to play in a game, you get the young guys -- the rookies -- experience,” Foles said. “Just to get back in there, get the feel of the game, the game speed, a little bit of recognizing another defense, and then just playing the game. You’re getting hit. You’re dropping back, you’re moving in the pocket and stuff like that. So it’s priceless.”

And the Rams will continue to get good work in this week as they will practice with the Cowboys on Monday and Tuesday. As has been a common theme with him since he arrived in March, Foles said the time in Oxnard will serve as an opportunity for the team to continue building relationships and bond together.

“It’s a road trip, really,” Foles said. “It’s a business road trip, so we’re going to be getting our work in, and working harder against a Dallas team that had a great year last year. I’m very familiar with them, so it’ll be great for us to go against them.

“I’ve done joint practices before,” the quarterback continued. “You get a lot out of them in the sense that you get on the same page with your guys. In my situation, a young O-line gets to go against Dallas’ defensive front. So it’ll be really good practice against them.”

In all, while Foles seemed pleased with elements from Friday night, he did not appear satisfied or complacent. But that didn’t stop him from expressing optimism about the upcoming season.

“We’ve got a ways to go, but with these guys, we can do it,” Foles said. “It was just great being out there.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
“I’ve got to do a better job of giving Cookie a better ball,” Foles said. “He’s such a big target, [I’ve] just got to give him something he can really work with. But he almost came down with it because he’s a talented guy.”

Now that's how a leader takes responsibility, even when he wasn't at fault. I thought it was a "preseason" play call, pass interference, and catchable, but good on Foles for taking it on himself.

“We’ve got a ways to go, but with these guys, we can do it,” Foles said.

My sentiments exactly.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'm a bit bored today, so I'm re-watching our game back in 2013 against Indy, and what pops up as I'm watching?...

upload_2015-8-16_16-6-33.png

Was this a premonition for the RAMS future? I think so! Let it be so!

Ram65

Legend
Well, I thought he shouldn't have thrown it to Cookie because he was well covered.

Foles appears to be more willing to give the Rams taller WR/TE more chances to make plays. I hope he finds the right line between giving chances and not forcing his passes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Need to score more than three points I understand Foles only had two opportunities and he received no aid from Washington, however, hopefully he will build on this going forward.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not sure scoring a FG would qualify as a fast start. I saw some good and not so good things. But again, its preseason so its hard to judge anything at this point.

RamWoodie

Legend
Need to score more than three points I understand Foles only had two opportunities and he received no aid from Washington, however, hopefully he will build on this going forward.
This wasn't about that for the Rams...that was easy to see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carr has the weapons, and yet he looked terrible IMO
Rams didnt have any 3 and outs and the oline was pretty bad in pass pro. Mannion really shocked me. Arm strength was impressive and he had nice scramble. Nothing like the player I "read" about