Foles pep rally turns into inquisition on Bradford trade/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Foles pep rally turns into inquisition on Bradford trade
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_df15e699-eb6e-51a0-aa72-2a08d001c31f.html

Friday’s introductory news conference for quarterback Nick Foles had all the trappings of a pep rally. A table with three chairs and microphones was set up at the front of the team auditorium at Rams Park.

Employees from throughout the building, including some members of the coaching staff, took a break from the day’s duties to take in the scene.

Then coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead came out and sat down at each end of the table, leaving an open chair in the middle for Foles.

“You all know why we’re here,” Fisher began. “This is a special day. You get an opportunity to meet Nick. So let’s bring Nick in.”

And out strolled ... defensive tackle Nick Fairley, looking dapper in suit and tie. The assembled employees laughed and applauded. Fairley came out, smiled, and stood between Fisher and Snead for a few seconds.

“How you all doing?” said Fairley, the free agent from Detroit.

Fairley then went upstairs to sign his Rams contract, and then out strolled Foles to more applause. The former Philadelphia quarterback was acquired Tuesday for Sam Bradford, in a trade that also included exchanges of draft picks by both teams.

Foles, who was asked only four questions, said the usual things about being happy to be with his new team.

“It’s a great opportunity to be with a great team,” Foles said. “I’ve been able to meet with some of the players and get to know ’em a little bit. It’s an honor to be here. It’s definitely a new start.”

Foles, who missed half of last season with a collarbone injury, said: “I’m 180 percent right now. I’m better than I was (before). ... I’m excited to be healthy, and I’m excited to throw it.”

But the most interesting part of a news conference, which lasted only 10 minutes, was Fisher and Snead fumbling around questions about why Bradford was traded. The same Sam Bradford they had praised effusively for two months before the trade.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in late February, Fisher had called trade rumors involving Bradford “inaccurate.” He said the Rams were counting on Bradford in 2015, even that he was gambling on him in 2015.

A week earlier, Fisher said he wouldn’t have named Frank Cignetti the team’s new offensive coordinator had Bradford not given his OK after a long meeting with Bradford.

Two days before Fisher spoke at the combine, Snead had addressed the media in Indianapolis, and in response to a question about rumors, said emphatically that the Rams weren’t shopping Bradford, adding on more than one occasion that “deleting” Bradford from the roster was not a solution.

So what changed? Snead’s answer to that was confusing.

“We went to the combine, and we had never heard anything about a trade. Nobody had mentioned wanting to trade for Sam Bradford,” Snead said. “Deleting him wasn’t gonna be the solution or the problem.

“Obviously, when news like that breaks — guess what? — some other teams start dabbling.

“I think the first team approached me at the combine at some point, even in the elevator. Long story short, at the end of the day, probably after we got back from the combine — probably a week or so after — a lot of teams started checking in (on trading for Bradford).

“They’re trying to figure out if we really want to ... get rid of Sam or not. They figured out that we really didn’t.”

But they did.

The fact that the Rams spent so much of the offseason praising Bradford, and then traded him, was confusing to many — including some Rams players, who, according to sources, didn’t like the way the way the trade was handled in terms of fairness to Bradford.

Credibility and trust are important in the player-coach relationship, and some players may be wondering the next time Fisher or Snead lavishes praise on a player: “Does he really mean it?”

The departure of Bradford may simply have been a case of the Rams wanting Bradford to take a pay cut, and the Bradford camp saying “no thanks.” And it wasn’t just a trim, but a sizeable pay cut, thought to be well more than half of Bradford’s base salary of $13 million in 2015.

But when asked Friday if Bradford would still be around had he accepted the pay cut, Fisher replied: “Probably not.”

So maybe the Rams wanted Foles all along. Maybe the low-ball offer on the Bradford pay cut helped make that happen. Rams executive vice president for football operations Kevin Demoff certainly wasn’t very happy at the combine about Bradford’s refusal to take a reduction.

But once the trade rumors started in earnest around the combine, Bradford agent Tom Condon wasn’t going to give money back AND see his client traded. Bradford genuinely wanted to stay in St. Louis, so why take a pay cut and make it easier to get traded?

“The reason that we made our trade the other day — the right fit — was the addition of Nick Foles,” Snead said. “Because our conundrum at quarterback was gonna require an addition.

“You’ve got a young guy (Foles) who’s got a lot of physical skills to play in this league. He’s got a lot of metrics that show how he can produce on the field. But the best thing about Nick is this — he’s won games. From a good organization. Good team. ... That’s what made the addition intriguing and why the thing went down.

“So when we said deleting Sam wasn’t the answer; when Coach Fisher said (Bradford) was his QB — that was true. Because at that moment there was no trade. There was definitely no one like Nick coming in the building.”

Meaning Nick Foles. Not Nick Fairley.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Britt, Fairley sign on big day for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_088e6f12-843c-5b74-a265-8270cbc0b55a.html

Just hours after signing Detroit defensive tackle Nick Fairley, the Rams continued to make moves in free agency by re-signing wide receiver Kenny Britt to a two-year deal, according to the team.

Britt revived his career last season with the Rams, catching 48 passes for a team-high 748 yards and averaging 15.6 yards per catch. New quarterback Nick Foles has shown an ability in the past to throw the long ball, and Britt obviously provides a deep threat. Besides his production, Britt surprisingly developed into the leader of a still-young Rams wide receiver corps.

Britt’s return doesn’t eliminate, but certainly lessens, the need for the team to seek a wide receiver in the draft. The Rams need Brian Quick to return successfully from shoulder surgery — an injury that is expected to keep him out until training camp. Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens also are under contract from last season’s wide receiver corps.

During the early free agency period, things were quiet on Britt. It didn’t appear that he took any other visits before deciding to return to the Rams.

Britt’s signing means that two of the Rams’ four free-agent priorities in terms of re-signing their own players will be back with the team in 2015. Tight end Lance Kendricks re-signed on the first day of free agency. Quarterback Shaun Hill signed with Minnesota. But offensive tackle Joe Barksdale, who has yet to take any visits, is still in play.

There were reports Friday night that Britt will make about $14 million, but early indications were that’s a puffed up number that includes incentives.

Meanwhile, Fairley signed a one-year, $5 million “prove it” contract that could max out at $8 million with incentives.

The addition of Fairley gives the Rams a whopping five first-round draft picks on their defensive line. He was chosen 13th overall out of Auburn in 2011 and joins ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn, and tackles Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald as first-round defensive linemen on the roster.

At least initially, Fairley figures to be the Rams’ third defensive tackle in what potentially could be a formidable rotation with starters Brockers and Donald.

“I feel like this is a perfect fit for me,” Fairley said. “The guys in this group — the D-line — they’re young, they’re moving forward, and I want to be part of it.”

No one doubts that Fairley has the talent and athletic ability to be a very good defensive tackle, but he comes to St. Louis with plenty of red flags. In four seasons in Detroit, he’s had weight, injury, and off-field issues. Some have questioned his consistency and motivation from down to down and game to game.

But after playing at as much as 320 pounds in Detroit, a svelte-looking Fairley has hired a personal chef and lost 40 pounds.

“Right now I’m at 280,” Fairley said. “Now that I’m down here I’m gonna be looking for (a personal chef) here.”

Fairley plans to add weight; 280 is very much on the light side for a defensive tackle in the NFL, but he wants to do it the right way.

“I’m gonna put on some muscle, of course,” he said

Fairley, 27, had six sacks in 2013 and 5 1/2 in 2012. But slowed by knee problems, he played in only eight games last season and finished with just 14 tackles and one sack. His knee ligament issues didn’t require surgery, just rehab work.

Detroit chose not exercise a fifth-year option on Fairley last spring, foreshadowing his free agency this offseason.

“When they didn’t pick it up, it was just the nature of the business,” Fairley said “I don’t feel like I have anything to prove. It’s a new start for me. I’m just ready to start going, get here in April and get ready for the offseason workouts.”

Fairley’s only other visit since Tuesday’s start of free agency was to Cincinnati.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well now I can still pull for sam knowing he didn't force the trade.

The next time a player is asked to take a pay cut I hope people realise teams have no loyalty to players and will cut or trade them at the drop of the hat if they felt it made them better.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I got the same vibe in the press conference, more people asked about Sam than Foles, I think maybe because of the whole format, and Foles having to share the table with Snisher.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A little insulting to spend the majority of the dinner asking why there's a new girlfriend right in front of her.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

agreed. These are questions that should have been asked before this press conference.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wow, so what it snisher's plan all along to trade Sam, or is this the local media stirring-up angst? I think I'll trust Demoff & Snisher over the local media.

jjab360

Legend
I don't why JT seems so salty. I'm sure the Rams did believe in Bradford at the combine, but that was before he refused the pay cut and before teams started bidding on him once they even thought he might be available. Get over it, bud.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I can understand both sides of the argument.

Rams FO: Sam has JD consecutive ACL surgeries, hasn't played a full season since I don't know when, so an inventive based pay-cut seems like the most sensible option and solution.

Sam: why take a pay cut if you don't have to? with injuries this could be his last season, so why not get the most out of his money?

Maybe, things got a little bitter or strained between the FO and Condon during the stalemate, I can't imagine that Snisher would take being held to ransom over money lightly ;)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Lol, so JT asks the questions about trading Sam, and then writes this article? What the actual hell. Does he have to stir the pot to get his own stories?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
But. The right thing to do would have been to have a trade presser before the Foles introduction presser, clear out the dead wood before relighting that fresh fire.

That would be the fair thing to do where Nick was concerned.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Lol, so JT asks the questions about trading Sam, and then writes this article? What the actual hell. Does he have to stir the pot to get his own stories?
Doesn't sound like JT is a Foles fan to me. And his actions sound like he is angry he wasn't privy to the trade.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know why ppl expect the brain trust of NFL teams to spill the beans when it comes to their plans. You know what? Maybe Fisher/Snead changed their minds on Bradford. Maybe they changed their minds 3 days prior to the trade. Big whoop. So fucking what? Seriously. It's a business, and in business plans can change at the drop of a hat. I find all this and JT's article a bit ridiculous to be honest.

jap

Legend
I don't know why ppl expect the brain trust of NFL teams to spill the beans when it comes to their plans. You know what? Maybe Fisher/Snead changed their minds on Bradford. Maybe they changed their minds 3 days prior to the trade. Big whoop. So freaking what? Seriously. It's a business, and in business plans can change at the drop of a hat. I find all this and JT's article a bit ridiculous to be honest.

. . . maybe Kelly's hard charging push for Sam I Am got Les & The Fisher King thinking about all the possibilities with a drastically reduced starting QB salary and all the new toys they can add on defense, offense special teams, etc.

In business and in much of life, things are always fluid as opposed to cast in stone.

FrankenRam

Starter
Question about incentive laden contracts since it appears both Britt & Fairley have heavy doses of incentives in theirs.....

How do such contracts get counted against the cap? Take Fairley's for example. It sounds as though the 'base' contract will pay $5mill, but he could make up to $8mill if he hit all the incentives. For cap counting purposes, are they required to count the entire $8mill, or........?

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I don't why JT seems so salty. I'm sure the Rams did believe in Bradford at the combine, but that was before he refused the pay cut and before teams started bidding on him once they even thought he might be available. Get over it, bud.

another classic example of why JT is actual shit as a reporter. Dude tries to be witty and when he gets out of his place to much he gets put back in like how Fisher handled him last year.

FrankenRam

Starter

I don't think it's too hard to understand why JT might be a little miffed. As the local beat writer, I'm sure there have been more than a few times that he's been told something by someone in the FO, be it Snead, Fisher, or Demoff, but was asked to keep it quiet for some period of time. And chances are he probably went along with their wishes rather than turning around and letting the cat of the bag in a column or chat.

IF that's an accurate assessment, he probably feels he had demonstrated he could be trusted by the org to not be a blabbermouth about every little tidbit thrown his way. And then to be as totally shut out of the Bradford trade rumors as us fans, I think I'd be a little miffed also.

IMO, being a beat writer for any team in any sport is probably a bit of a PITA job these days. It's their job to report what they know about the team, but yet they have to establish a relationship with the FO of that team, and the players, as well. And it would be difficult to build that relationship if you publicly disclosed every little tidbit that came out of someone's mouth in the org.

Interestingly enough, it sounds like Chip Kelly contacted Bob Stoops and at least one other Oklahoma coach about Bradford in the time leading up to the trade. And ya KNOW that had to get back to at least Sam at some point. So, perhaps JT could have done a little more digging along those lines and put 2&2 together rather than (apparently) being so reliant on his 'insider' status. But still, I could see him being upset at being treated like a complete outsider.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
All I can say is that Snead is tough to watch/listen to. Dude has turrets or some such shit when he is on front of a crowd. Always seems twitchy and uncomfortable and hard to follow.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't know why ppl expect the brain trust of NFL teams to spill the beans when it comes to their plans. You know what? Maybe Fisher/Snead changed their minds on Bradford. Maybe they changed their minds 3 days prior to the trade. Big whoop. So freaking what? Seriously. It's a business, and in business plans can change at the drop of a hat. I find all this and JT's article a bit ridiculous to be honest.
stirring the fanbase... seems that's what the local journalists are paid to do.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Agree that there should have been a press conference about Sam before yesterday and it could have given the reasoning for it! Am a Bradford fan but think the salary cap hit for him was just too big an issue for the FO!