Foles' Mechanics are Way Off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The passing game has been going to pot quite obviously and for some obvious reasons including less than stellar receiver play and untimely penalties.

What hasn't been discussed too much is Nick Foles' mechanical issues.

The most egregious is that his hand is too far under the ball, especially as he transitions to a throwing motion from sliding around the pocket. Because he's not coming over the top on his throws as he should (others like @jrry32 who also break down QBs can verify this), his hand ends up under the ball and his accuracy is diminished. When he steps into the ball, it can sail on him. If he tries to arm throw it, it'll likely be short or late.

This is EXACTLY what we are seeing. The good news is that it's correctable. I dunno if it's correctable totally in season, but I know Chris Weinke can correct that if they make that a point of emphasis. Some folks here have good luck in reaching out (I dunno if I could get anyone's attention if I had the cure...).

If Foles can tighten up his mechanics, it's possible we could see a substantial improvement at the QB position in short order. It won't be perfect, but we know we don't need perfect from that position to win.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't know what is the less disturbing option taking for granted this is a major issue with him....they see it and can't get him to fix it or they don't see it.
I am sure the QB coaches are qualified, fixing mechanics is a tricky thing if they are ingrained. I have not looked back to see if he was doing the same thing in Philly.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow, not sure why this is National Security, but Homeland has been shutting down my Internet all day. No joke. Go after terrosist's you retards, and not someone who would kill, or die for America! Fuck.

Not kidding.

jap

Legend
I thought Chris Weinke was brought in to help with all the QB's, including Nick. I thought a lot of Nick's regression to average 2014 play, as opposed to his 2013 Pro Bowl form, was due to poor mechanics. With a very young OL this season, was it not deemed paramount that fundamentals had to be sound?

jjab360

Legend
Wow, not sure why this is National Security, but Homeland has been shutting down my Internet all day. No joke. Go after terrosist's you retards, and not someone who would kill, or die for America! freak.

Not kidding.
I'm not sure, but that might be a virus?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would like to add that I am pretty certain Nick fills his game cleats with MDMA.... because he has the happiest feet ever.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
He is bailing out on any pass to the left side of the field. He doesn't step towards his target.

My biggest concern with Foles is just his inability to see the field and read a defense. QBs his height usually don't have this problem. He legitimately looks like a 21 year old rookie that has never seen NFL defenses before.

Athos

Legend
Foles is playing like KraponDick except without any actual athleticism or ability to just run.

Our QB is so bad... I'd take Kraperdick on my team and run him 90% of the time he isn't handing off....that's his w awful Foles is.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If fans here can see it... and they were talking on the Kevin Wheeler show about it (they see it)... and it's been going on for a few games now...

How can it be this isn't fixed by now?

IIRC, Weinke came advertised as a mechanics guru... he has a school or something, right?

I'm confused as to why this keeps happening... or, actually, seems to be getting worse.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Does anyone know how well Garcia, Wienke and Cignetti get along, and if they have similar views on mechanics? Too many cooks?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone know how well Garcia, Wienke and Cignetti get along, and if they have similar views on mechanics? Too many cooks?

With Garcia supposedly assigned to the receivers the play of Foles should fall squarely on Weinke. Dude definitely needs to set his feet and throw with a solid base. I do agree that it is part of his accuracy issues.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wow, not sure why this is National Security, but Homeland has been shutting down my Internet all day. No joke. Go after terrosist's you retards, and not someone who would kill, or die for America! freak.

Not kidding.
Huh?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
that would make sense since he is over throwing 75% of his passes, the question is how long will it take to fix? if they cant fix it someone needs to play.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, there seems to be a couple things I see. First, Foles doesn't trust his O-Line keeping him upright, so he is throwing off his back foot most times and he bails out when he can step up. Second, he's not trusting his eyes to place the ball where our receiver will be rather than where he is at. This could also be a trust thing with his receivers. Bottom line... he's currently a liability out on the field and I don't see things miraculously changing. Also, I really hate Fisher protecting him by saying "others need to play better around him." Accountability with all... both players and coaches. It's time to start calling players out in their meetings.

Psycho_X

Legend
It's pretty evident that the constant pressure has gotten to him. Just go watch him in week 1 compared to this past week. He rarely (a large amount of the time because he can't) steps up into his throws. There's just no time for him but he's also not making much of an effort to move around to let him do that. It's very much a team sport and I can't lay all the blame on Foles, our o-line and receivers have not helped him at all this year so far, but he has to take care of himself first and hope the others fall into place. And unfortunately he's having a hard time of it and it is showing as the OP and others here have stated.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The most frustrating part about Foles, is that none of us expected A. Rodgers. All we were expecting was a guy that could keep drives going and stay on the field.
Keenum needs to start next week. Period.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The passing game has been going to pot quite obviously and for some obvious reasons including less than stellar receiver play and untimely penalties.

What hasn't been discussed too much is Nick Foles' mechanical issues.

The most egregious is that his hand is too far under the ball, especially as he transitions to a throwing motion from sliding around the pocket. Because he's not coming over the top on his throws as he should (others like @jrry32 who also break down QBs can verify this), his hand ends up under the ball and his accuracy is diminished. When he steps into the ball, it can sail on him. If he tries to arm throw it, it'll likely be short or late.

This is EXACTLY what we are seeing. The good news is that it's correctable. I dunno if it's correctable totally in season, but I know Chris Weinke can correct that if they make that a point of emphasis. Some folks here have good luck in reaching out (I dunno if I could get anyone's attention if I had the cure...).

If Foles can tighten up his mechanics, it's possible we could see a substantial improvement at the QB position in short order. It won't be perfect, but we know we don't need perfect from that position to win.
I hope someone gives this to Weinke to read and heed!!

RamzFanz

Damnit

Not kidding.

raw