Foles is the Focal Point of Rams' Offseason QB Overhaul/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Foles is the focal point of Rams' offseason QB overhaul
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...of-st-louis-rams-offseason-qb-overhaul-062315

ST. LOUIS -- It's been an interesting offseason for the Rams at the quarterback position.

First, of course, there was the headline-grabbing trade of oft-injured Sam Bradford, who'd been with the Rams since they drafted him first overall in 2010. Despite the fact that Bradford played only 49 games through five seasons with the team, the trade with the Eagles signaled the first time in half a decade that someone else would fill the top quarterback slot in St. Louis.

In his place, the Rams secured Nick Foles from Philadelphia, where his production varied in 28 games over three seasons. Foles was at his best in 2013, when he passed for 2,891 yards, 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions in 13 games (10 starts). He played only eight games a year ago (2,163 yards, 13 TDs, 10 picks) after suffering a broken clavicle.

There was also the departure of Shaun Hill, who started eight games for the Rams last season, and the exchange of a 2016 seventh-round draft pick to the Houston Texans for quarterback Case Keenum, who had actually been on the Rams' practice squad for part of 2014. Then, during this year's draft, the Rams used a third-round pick to snag quarterback Sean Mannion, a four-year starter at Oregon State.

It all meant that Austin Davis, sitting in a meeting during OTAs this June, found himself the Rams' elder statesman of the quarterback group, thanks to three consecutive seasons on the St. Louis roster.

"We're in a meeting, and (offensive coordinator) Coach (Frank) Cig(netti) called me the 'veteran' yesterday, and I was just kind of blown away," Davis said during OTAs earlier this month. "I guess that's how fast it happens."

It all makes for an interesting depth chart. By trading Bradford for Foles and drafting several offensive linemen, the Rams clearly have tried to upgrade at quarterback -- and to ensure their No. 1 guy actually starts the entire season. But after Foles, things get murky.

Davis started the eight games Hill didn't start last season, so he would seem to be the likely No. 2. But Mannion, who signed a rookie deal in June, clearly has upside, while Keenum has an edge over the rookie in terms of experience. Who lands where on the depth chart ... well, that's what training camp is for.

During OTAs, Rams coach Jeff Fisher seemed pleased with the group assembled to compete behind Foles going into the season.

"It's going to be good. We've got to get Nick the reps, but we're going to try to balance the reps out and just see what happens," Fisher said. "Sean's new. Austin and Case have both won games in the league, so I think it will be a good battle."

Overall, adding Mannion and Foles should put the Rams in better stead for 2015 at a position where they struggled to find success, and consistency, during the Bradford era. The team, meanwhile, may already be thinking past this year -- before OTAs ended, the Rams hinted they had discussed a contract extension with Foles, a free agent come 2016.

"I think what Nick has done early in his career, he's proven he can get the job done on the field," Fisher said at the time. "With the numbers that he put up at the end with Andy (Reid) and then his first year there it was very impressive. He's carried things on here and so we're going to continue to talk and see if we can get something that's good for both sides."

Foles, for his part, said he already feels at home in St. Louis.

"I felt like this was home from when I got here and got to meet the guys and talk to the coaches," he said. "That's nothing against Philly. I had a great time in Philly and I built strong relationships. But, just how the team was when they brought me in here and how they treated me, and how my teammates have helped me grow and just the relationships that I've built – I want to be here."

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
"In his place, the Rams secured Nick Foles from Philadelphia, where his production varied in 28 games over three seasons. Foles was at his best in 2013, when he passed for 2,891 yards, 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions in 13 games (10 starts). He played only eight games a year ago (2,163 yards, 13 TDs, 10 picks) after suffering a broken clavicle."

that to me shows a few things. first of all he had many touchdowns in 2013 but few yards. so do the Rans mimic Foles 2013 system? quick routes and passes that are QB friendly run heavy offense which is what hopefully Cignetti is doing. Foles in 2014 in 8 games was putting up yards faster but his turnover rate was awful. didn't watch many eagles games but I heard he was making crucial mistakes with fumbles and picks in crucial situations so what gives?. a couple camp reports said Foles was a little on and off with his deep ball but was looking a little better. I just have no idea what to expect out of the kid right now along with this line during pass blocking especially.

Last edited:

Greg Stone

Rookie
He played only eight games a year ago (2,163 yards, 13 TDs, 10 picks) after suffering a broken clavicle.

This startled me and would put a different face on 2014, but........ that's wrong, isn't it? Didn't Foles play the 8 games BEFORE he broke his collarbone?

nighttrain

Legend
With our receivers i feel we're gonna be very happy with Foles passing, from the films i've seen he moves very good out of the pocket, which is gonna help him with our young line
train

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Foles Feeling at Home with Rams
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Foles-Feeling-at-Home-with-Rams/407faf2b-8142-42b6-b53a-67ff1700f843

Though he’s been a member of the Rams for only a short time, quarterback Nick Foles has already made enough of a positive impact to trigger talk of a contract extension.

“We’ve had some discussions,” head coach Jeff Fisher said last week. “I think what Nick has done early in his career -- he’s proven he can get the job done on the field.

“He’s carried things on here and so we’re going to continue to talk and see if we can get something that’s good for both sides,” Fisher added.

While there are no guarantees a deal will be worked out, all indications are that Foles has been a great fit for St. Louis. That’s come not only from Fisher, but also offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, players like Jared Cook, and the quarterback himself.

“I felt like this was home from when I got here, and got to meet the guys, and talk to the coaches,” Foles said at OTAs last week. “That’s nothing against Philly. I had a great time in Philly and I built strong relationships. But, just how the team was when they brought me in here and how they treated me, and how my teammates have helped me grow, and the relationships that I’ve built -- I want to be here.”

Foles has talked plenty about being comfortable with the team, but last week he also said that he’s feeling the same way about playing in Cignetti’s offense. Given that the Rams have completed only the offseason program, Foles said he knows more to install will come in training camp and the regular season.

“There’s always going to be new things you’re going to learn,” Foles said. “Each play based on front and coverage -- it can change. So it’s just continuing to learn and continuing to grow to where it’s just second nature -- where I feel extremely comfortable just seeing everything. But it’s getting there.”

With Foles coming from the Eagles, one criticism has been levied that perhaps the quarterback’s stellar 2013 season -- in which he threw 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions -- was a product of the offensive system. But that’s not an issue Foles has given any attention.

“People are going to say what they’re going to say. They always have throughout my entire career,” Foles said. “Each and every player deals with it. The way I do is [say], I’m just going to play. I know who I am. I know what kind of player I am and my job is to help my team win games.”

And winning is exactly what the quarterback helped the Eagles do, as he held a 14-4 QB record over the past two seasons with the club. As general manager Les Snead said at the time of the March trade, the signal-caller’s victories in a tough division was one of the factors that made him an attractive addition. Foles said last week that success sometimes gets lost when critics find fault solely based on stats.

“I think people look at numbers so much that you forget that we were at the top of the NFC East at the time,” Foles said. “We were able to come back. And I think four of those games we were down by double digits, and the team was able to rally back and win those games. I look at that as, although those stats weren’t as good, it’s about the team. It’s about rallying through.

“I’ve never been a stat guy,” Foles continued. “I care about the wins and it doesn’t matter how you do it. Of course, you don’t want to throw interceptions or do that, but if you throw a couple and you get the ‘W,’ I’d take that over throwing five touchdowns and losing.”

There’s still a lot of time to wait until Foles and the Rams start putting crooked numbers in the left-hand column. But during the summer break, aside from spending some good time with family, the quarterback said he’ll keep his nose in the playbook in order to continue growing familiar with the offense.

“We’re going to be going against our defense a little bit during camp, so [I’ll be] studying them, studying a little bit of Seattle, and getting ready for preseason,” Foles said. “Then, of course, workout and do the fundamentals, drops, throwing and all of that.”

And as for that chatter about Foles sticking with the Rams for the long haul, the quarterback headed off for the summer break with positive vibes.

“This is where I want to play,” Foles said. “As a player, you want to be somewhere and you want to play there the rest of your career. This is where I want to be, but that’s why we have agents. My most important thing right now is just to continue to work with my teammates and continue to be the best player and person I can be, so we’ll see what happens. I want to be here. I love Coach Fisher and the staff and everybody in this building, so I’m very fortunate to be here.”

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Wrong again. The focal point of the offense this year is Cignetti.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com talks about what he thinks will be Nick Foles’ uphill battle with the Rams. He considers it that because of a first time OC and a group of WR’s who haven’t had a 1000 yard WR since Torry Holt left STL. They talk about re-signing Foles with the questions being when and how much? Rosenthal thinks whatever contract they do with him should lean toward a pay-as-you-go type of deal.

Listen to Rosenthal Talk Foles
Rams Discussion Starts at 5:20